• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NINTENDO NX/SWITCH HYPE

RedneckPhoenix

make no mistakes 'cause i'm on fire
Pronoun
he/him
So Nintendo recently announced/revealed a trailer for the project previously know as the NX - the Nintendo Switch.
If you haven't heard about it, either go watch a video or listen to me crappily describe it.
Basically, it's a console that can SWITCH into a handheld, with multiple different controller configurations that you can SWITCH between. Nintendo has also made the SWITCH to letting third-party developers make games for it, rather than just its small crew. They're also allowing developers to SWITCH their content in to darker/more adult things, such as Skyrim.
So all aboard the hype train!

This is some real A+ stuff right here. REAL good stuff.

What's up with the Mario Kart game? It looks like MK8 but it has King Boo in it. ?_?

There's also Breath of the Wild and the new Mario game, too.

My birthday is inMarch.
The release date is set for sometime in March.
Time to go subtly drop some hints.

My birthday is inMarch.
The release date is set for sometime in March.
Time to go subtly drop some hints.

Same here! Which reminds me... I need to go "misplace" my birthday wish list...
But honestly, this looks pretty OK. I'm a bit confused by it, but I'm confused with every console. I just hope it has backwards compatibility with the Wii U, since I never got one...

It showed some Wii U games I think... and a slot for either a really weird memory card, or more likely a 3DS cartridge.

Same here! Which reminds me... I need to go "misplace" my birthday wish list...
But honestly, this looks pretty OK. I'm a bit confused by it, but I'm confused with every console. I just hope it has backwards compatibility with the Wii U, since I never got one...

Nintendo has included backwards compatibility since the Wii for home consoles, I don't see why that has to change with the Switch.

The 3DS thing really piqued my attention. How will that work?

Given that they've switched architectures from PowerPC to Nvidia, none of the titles from the previous consoles will be backwards compatible. This includes all the virtual console games, since they were tailored for the PowerPC architecture.

Now, since they're using the Nvidia Tegra architecture, which tons of games are made to work with, we're probably gonna see a lot of ports.

If I had to guess, downloadable titles will still be a thing, and there will probably be a built-in emulator for such titles made for Wii U (or at least, Nintendo will get to work real fast on making them compatible, if they haven't already).

Looks pretty sweet. I hope the price point isn't unreasonable.

Maybe you'll be able to switch between OS's?
I will not stop making switch puns on this thead, btw.

Maybe you'll be able to switch between OS's?
I will not stop making switch puns on this thead, btw.

I don't think it's an issue of operating systems. It's an issue of hardware, so the only way for true backwards compatibility to work would be to cram a wii u into the hardware like they did with the Wii into the Wii U.

What's up with the Mario Kart game? It looks like MK8 but it has King Boo in it. ?_?
There's nothing else in the trailer to imply that WiiU games are being ported over, so i'm assuming they were suggesting a Mario Kart 9? I'm also assuming it's in super early development, as they took a lot of the animations right out of 8 and the stage is directly pasted from the DLC. But they put King Boo in there so i think that was their way of saying, "this is something new and not Mario Kart 8." My girlfriend says some other things were shifted, like the location of the held item bubble, but i haven't checked to verify that yet.

General thoughts on the switch: yes. I'm super excited, this has way more potential than the WiiU did and i'd argue that it'll surpass the Wii just for its versatility and because of third-party sponsors that aren't cringey this time! Woot. Looking forward to it a ton, i'm way less hesitant about this than i have been about the previous coupla batches of nintendo consoles.

GungHo dude: how do we make puzzle and dragons more popular
GungHo dude #2:i know
Lets make it puzzle and dragons
But with
fucking
MARIO
GungHo dude: that sounds stupid
GungHo dude #2: YOU sound stupid!

Well, the Switch does have all of the buttons of the U, as far as I can tell.

Even if you could use the portable screen and the tv screen at the same time, I think the point was that the internal hardware (as in the processors etc) are substantially different from the wii u., and that's what would make backwards compatibility difficult.

Given that they've switched architectures from PowerPC to Nvidia, none of the titles from the previous consoles will be backwards compatible. This includes all the virtual console games, since they were tailored for the PowerPC architecture.

Now, since they're using the Nvidia Tegra architecture, which tons of games are made to work with, we're probably gonna see a lot of ports.

Are these the graphic cards? What does this mean?

Are these the graphic cards? What does this mean?

Basically what ZM said; they're (supposedly) changing the internal hardware which means it'll be easier to port third party titles like skyrim, at the cost of backwards compatibility

Basically what ZM said; they're (supposedly) changing the internal hardware which means it'll be easier to port third party titles like skyrim, at the cost of backwards compatibility

From what I heard, its confirmed that they're also switching from disc based games to cartridges for the switch, which eliminates any possibility of sticking a Wii U game in the Switch and expecting it to work. I was hoping they'd have digital Wii U releases in the vein of Virtual Console, but from what ZM says, that won't be a thing either. It kinda sucks for me, since I never got a Wii U, so I was hoping I could get the "NX" and get two consoles for one at the expense of some waiting. But dems the breaks, I guess.

From what I heard, its confirmed that they're also switching from disc based games to cartridges for the switch, which eliminates any possibility of sticking a Wii U game in the Switch and expecting it to work. I was hoping they'd have digital Wii U releases in the vein of Virtual Console, but from what ZM says, that won't be a thing either. It kinda sucks for me, since I never got a Wii U, so I was hoping I could get the "NX" and get two consoles for one at the expense of some waiting. But dems the breaks, I guess.

Yeah, I was doing the same thing. I even bought Wii U games hoping I could play them when the next console came out.

Back
Top Bottom