• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Nostalgia in Pokémon Games

Re: Nostalgia in Pokémon Games

I remember getting a Game Boy Colour and Red for Christmas, and playing it so much; by Christmas dinner, I had beaten Brock and was on Route 3, by the man who suggests saving. I remember thinking I couldn't save, because I didn't have a "Game Pak", whatever that is (:sweatdrop:), so I was worried, but I tried the save option and it worked fine.

My first game was Yellow. I got for Christmas when I was like six. I had to get my dad to help me because I couldn't figure out how to get out of my house. After that I figured things out but never could beat the Elite Four. I remember I had this Pigetto that was like lv.77 or something that I had raised from like lv.3... I also remember that after about lv.35 or I just dumped Pikachu in a box and left it there.

Then in Crystal, I acidently named my rival '???' because that's what it said when you first meet him. Then the police person was asked what his name was so I was typed in '???' because that what I thought his name was...

My first game ever was Sapphire.
Haha, I remember when I first turned on the game I was so excited. I watched through the whole intro sequence in awe. You know that Mudkip that uses a water attack in the intro? Well I thought that was Water Gun and when I finally saw that move in the game I was mad since it didn't have the same animation.
I figured out the controls with no problem, and played through the game until I was at Odale Town. Then I turned off the game without saving, since I didn't know you had to save before turning it off. When I turned it back on, I was sad that I had to start over, but since I wasn't that far in I wasn't too upset.
I didn't know how to catch wild Pokemon(Yeah, I know. I was pretty stupid on my first game). I only raised Torchic, my starter, until he was a Blaziken. When I finally learned the technique of throwing a Pokeball, I tried to catch a Trainer's Pokemon once.
You know the part of Cycling Road right next to the Trick House? Well I thought that you couldn't walk through that, so I vainly tried ways to get to the next city. I tried going on Cycling Road without a bike, talking to every single person in Slateport to see of they would give me a bike, etc. Finally after all these efforts, I just went back to the place that was keeping me from progressing. My thumb slipped on the D-pad, I walked forward one step, and to my amazement, I walked under the bridge! I felt really dumb after that.

Looking back at all my silly, ametuerish mistakes makes me laugh now.

Last edited:

WARNING: Extremely long, read at your own peril of time wasting, unless of course you already think you're wasting your time.

I was very fortunate, I had someone else to make the stupid mistakes for me. I learned to play by watching my cousin, and played on his Pokemon Blue for a while, and gained some experience. I think I was born to play these games though, I beat the first 3 gym leaders on my cousins game within an hour and a half, and was disappointed when I learned you could only keep 1 save file on a game and that I had to lose all the work I had done. I was staying at my cousins house for a week, and so, since my aunt's house only had a wood heater to keep it warm, she needed wood to fuel it. I cut wood everyday for 4 days, and made about $15 to buy a used copy of Pokemon Yellow in quarters, nickles, and dimes. My cousin had just gotten a Gameboy Advanced that year, and he gave me his old Gameboy Color. I played that thing non-stop. I lost the game after several months of play, and freaked out the day after I couldn't find it. About three years after I lost it, I remembered that I had gone camping and had brought it with me, so I checked everywhere in our car and found it among 4 other games, by this time, I had a Gameboy SP, and had owned Pokemon Ruby and Pokemon FireRed as well, (both of which I can no longer find) and had great experience in game play, and was excited to go back to my roots. Then, after I had lost all three of these games, my dad had hired a new babysitter who played Pokemon. She had far outgrown Pokemon Silver, and let me have it, along with her old Gameboy Color (I had lost my old one) and I played that for a long time, probably around 2 years. Then came the year I freaked out. I had lost all my old handheld games, except for my Gameboy SP and 1 game (of which has a name I can't currently remember). I had gone to Arizona for Christmas, and my uncle and aunt there had gotten me a Nintendo DS with New Super Mario Bros. The first opportunity I could, I badgered my dad to get the new Pokemon game that had come out. I still hold my ground that I had asked for Diamond, and he got me Pearl, but I didn't mind. I eventually started to make money by -ahem- WORKING again, and I eventually branched out to buy the weirder games, like Mystery Dungeon, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and Pokemon Ranger, which was a bit disappointing. And that is the long drawn out history of me and my Pokemon Games.

I got Pokemon Yellow when I was....5?

I hated the Pikachu. It sucked, and it couldn't evolve, and at the time, my favorite Pokemon was Raichu. I was so noobish, I caught every single wild Pokemon that appeared. Yes, every one. And I always--ALWAYS--gave it a goofy nickname. I still do. Anyway, when I got the Diploma, I was mad because I thought that I would get Mew or "PikaBlue"--remember that old myth?--or something. The next year, I got Gold. And for some reason, I adored the Chikorita, then HATED it with a burning passion when it evolved into Bayleef. But as I stomped the trainers, I came across my rival. I had a level 57 Arcanine, as that was my new favorite and I thought that, instead of catching the wild Pokemon, you had to defeat them or else you would lose. Boy, was I wrong. :P But at the rival battle before the Elite Four, he actually managed to defeat Arcanine with one last Kadabra. It murdered my HM slaves, until finally, I had Bayleef in the end up my party. Bayleef killed Kadabra, and it evolved into Meganium, and less than a second after it told me so, I decided that Meganium was one of my favorite Pokemon. xDDDD

I got Pokemon Yellow when I was....5?

I hated the Pikachu. It sucked, and it couldn't evolve, and at the time, my favorite Pokemon was Raichu. I was so noobish, I caught every single wild Pokemon that appeared. Yes, every one. And I always--ALWAYS--gave it a goofy nickname. I still do. Anyway, when I got the Diploma, I was mad because I thought that I would get Mew or "PikaBlue"--remember that old myth?--or something. The next year, I got Gold. And for some reason, I adored the Chikorita, then HATED it with a burning passion when it evolved into Bayleef. But as I stomped the trainers, I came across my rival. I had a level 57 Arcanine, as that was my new favorite and I thought that, instead of catching the wild Pokemon, you had to defeat them or else you would lose. Boy, was I wrong. :P But at the rival battle before the Elite Four, he actually managed to defeat Arcanine with one last Kadabra. It murdered my HM slaves, until finally, I had Bayleef in the end up my party. Bayleef killed Kadabra, and it evolved into Meganium, and less than a second after it told me so, I decided that Meganium was one of my favorite Pokemon. xDDDD

Oh god I remember the Pikachu...thats when I started to hate it. Cause wasn't OP'ed thanx to how much it liked me :(. Cyndaquil for life.

Ahhh... Memories...

My first game was silver... I didn't know how to scroll over to the bag compartment with the pokeballs in it so I couldn't find out how to catch anything.

I thought the red garydos was a glitch or something so I freaked out and turned my game off. About a week later I found out about shineys.:sad:

YES, a lot of the time i go searching through youtube for missingno (i don't know why, it just amuses me) and when i see blue/red i get so nostalgic. not so much for the newer ones, though. i think it stops at crystal, since after that the graphics start to improve. but blue, red, and even yellow definitely bring back old memories. D:

my first game was ruby. my cousin had sapphire, so i asked her pretty much everything having to do with pokemon. i didn't know how to get past the person in petalburg, so i just trained my torchic, and i had a lv. 20 something combusken by the time i figured it out. i only trained my combusken, which was named BLAZE and was a girl (fwee!) and my female hariyama named MU. sadly, i had to delete my game when i got trapped in new mauville. RIP BLAZE and MU. they were at 96 and 72, also. T_T

Back
Top Bottom