• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Offscreen Activities

Morgrem Sophie, Morris and Vic, along with about fifty Impidimp lackeys, are being held by the sheriff of Lucky Rock, one Talonflame Palmer. Palmer has already issued bounty scrips to the Wayfarer squads who took them in, cashable at most banks, but is willing to let Wayfarers grill the outlaws on what they know about the fourth Morgrem, and about Hawthorne himself.

Lucky Rock is one of many tiny Soja' settlements, with a population in the low dozens. It is remarkable chiefly in the stubbornness of its inhabitants, who insist on remaining there despite constant harassment by Fiends, on the basis that the tall hoodoo – which they call a 'fairy chimney' – in the centre of town brings them fortune. It's not dissimilar to the sandstone formation at the centre of Pueblo Hideout, aka Ranger Union HQ. It seems many older small towns were originally founded around landmarks like these.

If nobody else has done so, Gladion will probably check in on the status of a railway closure as Lucius talked about.

Heeding the Escarpa’s warnings about a political embargo alone, he’d also like to look into ways to make sure it’s physically hard to bypass before they act, like using his job to get access to metal and a weilding supply (thermite?) to place an obstruction at the station exit that would be enough to inconvenience a quick getaway without being too hard to fix, or draining a steam engine reservoir at night and hoping identifying the problem slows down any illicit escape attempts enough. No sabotage liable to dangerously fail if not fixed though: It would have to be either visible or harmless. (And less expensive than a bridge.) He’ll do it if it’s reasonable, and won’t if it seems unrealistic.

Definitely not feeling lonely, Koa reaches out to Odette, to train. For the CIpher fight, yeah, that's it. He shows off how he learned some new moves, like Rain Dance. After a bit of sparring, they decide to hang out and talk. He decides to ask her more about her time as a trainer, and about her team and homeworld. He's especially curious about how training works where she's from and if she knows any stories about legendaries! He's more than happy to let her ramble and gush.

In turn, he shares some of his own stories of his team and journey.
Rascal was so stubborn when we first met, didn't listen to anything. Took me awhile to realize I just needed to give her space. I waited a whole night on a mountain to prove I could be patient. Then she bit me. So I bit her back! It was fine though, she was playing with me, it was her way of showing affection! After that we got along a lot better.

I think the reason I can use Mach Punch here must be related to training with my Breloom, Scrapper. I spent a week with my friend Kitto training how to throw a punch. I wonder if the others have managed to use weird moves for similar reasons...

Odette happens to mention she likes doing puzzles, and Koa makes a note to try and get one.

Koa avoids getting into any touchy topics but he feels better after spending some time with a friend.
[[ @Sinderella ]]

Last edited:
Odette had no qualms humoring another training session with Koa. In fact, she was even somewhat touched he'd gone out of his way to learn Rain Dance after their conversation (though she didn't say that out loud). They soon settled into just shooting the shit, and she couldn't complain about that either. It was nice to just talk without it constantly devolving into heavy nonsense. Besides, Koa seemed dead set on hearing how Pokemon training in her world worked.

It's kind of a mixed bag. Some kids focused their entire being on it--got sponsorships, saved up, freed up their time--and traveled the whole fucking region to fight the gyms on their own accord. I probably could have done that myself, but I didn't have that time. I was studying musical theater, so I went the 'take classes at a Trainer School' route like most kids I knew personally. Usually that resulted in school-sanctioned trips out to gyms and whatever. It was kind of only my secondary hobby for a while because I was so focused on dance and singing lessons. Solene actually evolved from dance, and Enora learned Hyper Voice in singing lessons. So I guess in a way, I was always training, just not conventionally. A lot of 'mon in my world actually pick up on things quicker outside standard battle lessons, so...yeah, mixed bag.

She laughed absolutely outright at Koa's story. Somehow, hearing he bit a fucking tyrunt didn't shock her one little bit.

Well, I know mawile don't usually learn Acrobatics. I'm sure I only know it because I know how to dance. You're probably onto something there.

The only thing that probably could have made it better was a puzzle. She made a note to look for one the next time she was out shopping.

[[ @Cresselia92
Koa goes to get himself a haircut, and is surprised to realize Silver is there. He decides to get a haircut (nothing fancy please! Just keep it spiky and cool), and asks Silver about his time as a trainer, and what his world is like. Particularly, he’s curious about legendaries in other worlds, since he’s gotten the impression Silver’s world is very similar, as well as about his unusual species - aren't those Sneasel Hisuin?

If their talk goes well he may let slip his goal of one day battling a legendary, and if that sparks no disdain, he’ll talk about his dream of catching one.

“I want to prove to humans and legends that there’s good people out there! If I can catch a legendary the right way I can show that they can be partners again.”

He may also end up mentioning how much he despises evil groups like Team Rocket and Aqua and Flare in his world, who mess with legendaries, and how he's annoyed Cipher is here.
“I can’t stand them, they’re despicable. They ruin everything, I hate what they'd done to my world.”

That aside, he’ll ask Silver what his dreams are, and is definitely happy to hear out his goals, whatever they may be, and would likely express excitement about them. He'll also enjoy the usual chatter of trainer talk about his team and badges.
"My best friend is my Crobat, Echo!"

Afterward, he’ll offer to spar with Silver once his shift is done.

[[ @Phoenixsong ]]
After the Oasis(?) Koa seeks out Leaf to congratulate her on her evolution. He’s evidently very impressed and happy for her though he’s a teeny bit envious. Wasting no time, he also asks if she knows what triggered her evolution, and if she has any advice for him.

He’d also offer to do some light sparring to see how strong she is now and maybe hoping he'll evolve, in which he would engage in some friendly banter, assuming he doesn’t pick up on any discomfort.

“Come on, I’ve felt Pidgey kick harder than that!”

Afterwards, he’d make a bit of friendly chat and see how she’s doing, swap some stories. Trainer chatter.

If she seems comfortable he’d also mention how he's been thinking about Cipher and says that they’ll probably run into more problems with shadows, and that they're not bad but they need to be controlled. With quite a lot of of awkwardness he'd mention that he's here for her and thinks of her as a friend and won't patronize or judge her if she feels like talking.

“I’ve uh... been working a little on figuring out how to control shadows... I don’t want something like that fight with Seth to happen again. Talking to Odette and Archie helped me so... if you want to chat sometime we can. I won’t judge you or anything. Or patronize you. I know how annoying it is when people think of you as a dumb kid.”

@Tetra

Well, Koa entering the barbershop was quite the surprise, but definitely not unwelcome. He let the Electrike sit on the chair and listened to his request.

“Ah! Don’t worry ‘bout that! Spiky hairstyles are my specialty!”

To prove his point, he twirled the rebellious tuft he had on top of his head, grinning proudly as he did so. After a quick assessment of Koa’s mane, he began trimming the split ends with quick and careful flicks of his claws.

Like a true barber, he engaged the other teenager in some simple chatter about his new form (So, he was an Hisuian Sneasel?) and his Trainer life: the adventures in Johto (and loss at the League), the missing final badge for the Kanto League, and his recent Ace Trainer title. Then, the conversation shifted on team talk…

“Wait… You’ve got a Crobat? That’s so cool! I have one, too, and he was my first capture! He’s a real sweetheart, and…”

Silver proceeded to express his appreciation toward Crobat and shared many personal tips about the Zubat line and its strengths. The rest of the team talk went smoothly, but then came the criminal organizations talk.

“Hmph! All of ‘em are a bunch of morons that don’t have any idea of what they’re doing or what they’ve done!”

And while he expressed general disdain toward all those teams, his spite and anger were way more blatant when he talked about Team Rocket and their crimes. A few curses floated into his mind from time to time, but he managed to keep his temper in check. He definitely didn’t want to find out what would happen if he got Shadowed while cutting hair…

Luckily, the conversation shifted again on a new and more exciting topic: legends. Silver found himself chuckling at Koa’s enthusiastic voice while he talked about legends, and he showed a bit of enthusiasm of his own when he talked about the legendary birds (or phantom wings) in Kanto and the tower deities of Johto (especially Lugia and the whole pseudo-time traveling experience he had with Barney the Runerigus).

“I getcha! Who wouldn’t want to meet a legendary at least once in their lives?”

What he didn’t mention was that he had met a legendary once… and lost to her in an utterly humiliating way. He knew that Koa would probably freak out and ask all kinds of questions, but he also promised not to mention her unless necessary.

And when Koa said that he wanted to catch one, Silver flashed one of his usual defiant smirks.

“Ha! You’d better get in line, then, because I’m gonna find a legendary and catch it first!”

Despite sounding like a taunt, it was clear from his voice that he said that with partial jest and partial seriousness. Besides, there was no harm in some friendly competition for fun, wasn’t there? And he was all too eager to accept the invitation for some sparring and training.

“Well! I can’t wait to see what you can do with your fists! You’d better get your knuckles polished because I’m not gonna hold back!”

Isidora spent most of her time before the ranger expedition training and preparing for the journey. Part of her preparation involves having her belt and bag modified with rings that keep them linked together. This is to keep her bag secured to her hip during combat.

Seeing Nova without the mask for the first time, she realizes she vaguely recognizes what he is. Haven't I seen a picture of that 'mon before...?

After the fight against Morris' band of fiends, she starts to go out at night to experiment with Shadow and test its limits. She never goes too far with it, getting scared off every time she hits a certain threshold. 40

After the expedition, Isidora finds Sonora, and after giving her a basic rundown of the facts, asks her if she and her gang would be interested in helping them raid Terminal Two when the time comes.
"It'll be dangerous. Real dangerous. And I'm not here to force you. I just figured you'd be interested, given the help you gave us once before. And personally I can't think of a better way to pay back that favor you owe us. But whatever you choose, don't tell anyone outside your gang about this."

After the festival, Isidora begins to wear around her neck the two necklaces she won in the move improv contest (one depicting a wing holding a pen, the other an unfurled scroll).

Last edited:
With transport to and from the Ranger HQ squared away, it's time to get down to business. Hopefully Chief Ayda and Razael are available and she can confirm what they know/whatever the Escarpa might've told them before, but even if not Leaf (and anyone who wants to come with) will tell any other Rangers she can about the upcoming raid on the source of the shadows/demons/witching beasts/these things have too many dang names but you know, those guys. Anyone who's willing to help with what might be a dangerous but very important plan is very much appreciated, and she adds that the rest of the Wayfarers, the Escarpa clan, and maybe others will be there alongside them. She's especially eager to talk to Ranger Cascada about what she thinks they can all coordinate, since she'd probably be the biggest help in connecting the Rangers and the Escarpa.

[[ @Tetra ]]

Leaf gladly accepts Koa's congratulations and can't help showing off a little bit—seriously, how much cooler can you get than a built-in combination sword and magic wand—but does tone it down some when she realizes he's still bummed about not being there himself.

"Don't really know, to tell you the truth... been training and practicing same as always. I was out for my usual run when it happened, bam, out of nowhere! I was going a little harder than I usually do, maybe? Guess I was just..." She stopped and thought for a second, trying to remember whether there was anything weird about what she'd been doing or feeling that night. Nah, 'course not. "...excited we were making some real progress on fixing all this!"

Surely with everyone else evolving around now, and with all the hard work he's been putting in, he's got to be close, though! Anytime he wants to spar, she's down (and has absolutely no problem jumping into banter and good-natured trash talk), and also says he's welcome to join her on her evening runs. Maybe shaking up his usual routine with a different kind of training, and perhaps the occasional friendly race, will shake something loose?

She doesn't actually seem too bothered about the idea of using shadows in general. Yeah, it's scary and it doesn't exactly feel great, but they're stuck with it now and she agrees they should learn to make the best of it. After all, seems like this is the kind of problem that hiding and denying will very actively and specifically make worse.

Koa said:
"I won’t judge you or anything. Or patronize you. I know how annoying it is when people think of you as a dumb kid.”

Between the talk of shadows and now this Leaf goes a little distant, quiet for a couple beats before snorting and muttering under her breath.

"...yeah. Yeah, it does suck, doesn't it. If it ever turns into a real problem with anyone here, I'll let you know."

She does brighten after that, though, genuinely grateful for the offer, and reminds Koa that he can always come talk to her if he needs anything, too. What else are friends for, right?

Last edited:
The Wayfarers and their allies have had the month of Charge to prepare for an assault on Terminal Two, Cipher's base of operations beneath the town of Blaguarro. Not much is known about the layout of the facility, but we can expect it to contain prisoners and test subjects for their Shadow energy experiments, and potentially their means of travelling to Forlas from their home dimension's Earth. It may be well-fortified against attack, especially since they must surely be expecting us by now.

In the time available, the Wayfarers have made expeditions to seek out allies and expand Betel's network. They should also have spent time training to develop new combat skills and otherwise preparing for the upcoming battle.

What has each Wayfarer done in recent weeks to get ready?

Laura has been training with the monks of Obstine Abbey to improve her mastery of elemental energy channelling techniques. Endless practice sessions and long hours of studying theory in the library have taught her how to make her boons to squadmates last longer. She is now an Alchemist!

During strategy talks between Wayfarers – in person with their Forlasan allies, and privately over Betel's network – the goals of the mission to Blaguarro have become more clear. To capture (or eliminate) Cipher's leadership, to disable their access to interdimensional travel (if possible, and ideally after ejecting as many as possible back to their Earth), to eliminate their ability to manufacture more Shadow pokémon, and to rescue any test subjects and prisoners being held in the facility.

With so many Wayfarers involved, the likely constrained physical space available in an underground base, and a potentially considerable number of allied forces joining the fight, those involved will have to split up.
  1. One squad will confront Cipher's leadership and attempt to defeat them in battle, assuming they have no intention of surrendering. This will certainly be a challenging battle.

2. One group will descend into the depths of the base to search for Cipher's advanced technology, used to travel between worlds and make Shadows. These will likely be well-defended, and battle will be necessary.

3. Lastly, others will search for Cipher's holding cells and attempt to stage a rescue operation to free their captives, including those already turned into Shadows. A set piece battle seems unlikely, even if there is some resistance.
Which Wayfarers will join each of these missions?

(You may wish to encourage allied Forlasan pokémon to come with you, or have plans of your own for helping with the overall assault. )

Laura intends to join the mission to Terminal Two's lower levels. Perhaps out of dark curiosity about what is done down there, but partly because it's the most relevant to her own experience. Plus, that group should have someone who knows their way around a computer, just in case.

In between jobs and expeditions, Archie seeks out Seth. At first, it's mostly to ask the Lycanroc questions about how he keeps himself under control, how he lives with Shadow, and things of that nature. Eventually, this evolves into requesting sparring sessions to better get a handle on both using Shadow himself, and deal with an enemy combatant using it against him.

If Seth declines, Archie won't push him, but will ask again on subsequent visits, and is willing to bargain to get the Lycanroc to agree to train with him. Eventually, as the date of the raid on Terminal Two approaches, Archie asks the million dollar question: Is Seth out or in?

~*~

Archie figures that he would personally be of most use assisting in capturing Cipher's leadership.

Last edited:
Periodic visits to Little Scriven alongside some story sharing lead to striking a deal with Gare. A small, well-ventilated section of the mechanic's workshop would allocated for Ghaspius to conduct his potion-making experiments. Between his new resources and the knowledge from the Scrivener's library, Ghaspius had become an Alchemist once more!

Still, the gravity of the Cipher situation wasn't lost on him. He sought out the Escarpa in the Sojaveña Wilds every day after work, hoping to master what he never could in his old world: discipline. The members tool full advantage of his easily distracted nature in battle. In a way, it was like going back to his old tribe again.

When he finally made a breakthrough and was able to keep his concentration on something other than his musings and interests, he evolved! Although he was still his air-headed self outside of battle, at least now he could stay focused in dire straits. Still, he was curious as to how he was able to do so without a Dusk Stone. Another experiment to add to the list.

While Ghaspius himself has little knowledge of advanced technology, he knows his way around a laboratory, and more specifically, what sorts of things to break without endangering himself or his allies. He'll gladly go to Terminal Two's lower levels to land that sort of expertise. also can't help but be curious about the tech himself, and, with any luck, take to an expert to reverse engineer and make a countermeasure should something of the same nature appear again.

After a conversation with Bellatrix [drafted scene pending], Steven decides he needs to focus on improving his psionic abilities if he's going to become stronger to help the team. He believes his best bet is to seek out the help of a powerful psychic type who might help him train. There's one particular individual who comes to mind who might fit the bill... In preparation, he travels to Little Scriven to find a book of poetry.

After he returns to Frontier Town, book in hand, Steven makes the trek to Sunward. He times his travel to ensure he arrives during the day, and makes his way to the Fort.
"Hello? Excuse me, but I'm looking for the Day Captain, Armarouge Aurelia? I'd like to ask a favor of her, if possible. There's a chance she might remember me."

He hopes the Captain won't refuse his wish to train with her and the cadets. Her words from their first meeting echoed in his head; the Wardens trained to protect. He also remembers her saying the Wardens were trained in contemplation of the light. He isn't entirely sure if it's related to the Radiance the Wayfarers were seeking, but he also won't turn down a lightening of his soul, given the way his evolution was overshadowed...

Before he leaves the Fort, he tells the Captains about the Wayfarers' upcoming battle against Cipher.
"I don't know exactly what we'll find down there, but Cipher and their Shadow creations need to be stopped for the safety of all of Sojavena."

He doesn't expect either of them to leave their posts, but wants them to know what's happening with Shadows and those who strive to create them. However, if there are any of those in Sunward who wish to fight, he won't turn away their help.

Upon Steven's return to Frontier Town, he spends time working with Lucien, not only to prepare for the town's upcoming election but also to try to compile a list from town and jail records of any citizen who might have been sent to Terminal Two by Ignatius. It's a grim task, but worth it if for no other reason than to provide some closure.

Last edited:
In the weeks leading up to the assault, particularly before the large-scale skirmish with the Escarpa, Kimiko spent much of her time as she had been; divided between her job at Sun Stone and training both with the Rangers and any Escarpa that will have her, with a heavier focus on the latter. She may or may not have confided in Greasewood her concerns about not having evolved, which may or may not have contributed to her heavier lean towards training. The Escarpa in particular tend to encourage her more easily; she finds it easier to want to bring out her best against them.

In between, she finds time to stop by the Wanderin' Zera and, after some casual chatter to make sure the Gerome at the bar wasn't the phoney that Andre met, informs him of the impending assault on Terminal Two. She only makes a passing mention that they've got several allies joining them (without naming who), and floats the idea that he'd be welcome to assist and that they'd be glad to have him with them. Should he be interested, she suggests his quiet strength would help best in confronting the Cipher leaders.

In terms of participation in the plan, Kimiko expresses interest in rescuing prisoners, for various reasons; she's been one, so she'd want to help get others out, and she's been training hard so, even though they don't expect a fight, she feels she'd be able to provide a little muscle for the rescue team should they end up needing some anyway. That said, she is willing to join wherever the team agrees might benefit from her abilities the most.

(Tmw you've mainly been in group scenes with NPCs and the ones you might have affinities with can't take part...)

Nova's hit a bit of a brick wall trying to figure out anything about the RKS System in this world. Not that it ultimately matters much for him, since he doesn't believe type changing will be all that useful for him in the raid compared to just sticking with Battle Armor.

Prior to investigating Lucis' whereabouts, he does ask Mewtwo if he or Mew have any tools that could sabotage electronic equipment.

Once Betel sends out the bulleting, Nova figures this person would want to keep a relatively low profile. And from what he remembers of places around town, he thinks the Wandering Zera worth checking out given its owner tendency toward discretion. He does focus a smidge on his shadows to see if there's a reaction, but not enough that he'd actively be projecting that power.
"Well, I'm walking, talking technology. May as well go to try to wreck their equipment. Not that I'll be doing much of the wrecking..."

Leading up to the raid, Dave returns to Blaguarro to speak to Anite, Tala and Mav, explaining their plans for the raid, the help they'll have from the Escarpa and others, and that if they would be willing to join any of the three expeditions, it could be an enormous help.

He also restlessly trains with the Escarpa, trying to push his battling skills despite everything. He asks Sierra if she's seen Luz yet or whether she has any idea where she might be (and looks around for her near the Escarpa camp), in between thinking they should probably just fucking forget about this whole Radiance thing.

In between, he drinks at the Wanderin’ Zera, talking with Gerome about the raid.

For his parts, he’s planning to go down into the labs. He’s a fucking scientist, after all.

Last edited:
Archie investigates Sand Veil Archives, and interviews Gliscor Tlalli, hoping the library's secondary use as a community center and Tlalli's reputation as a friend to outcasts might combine to unearth some helpful information.

Something inside Aige eventually kicks her into gear and she starts training by herself, wandering about the desert in hopes that a feral pokemon will attack her for practice- though she's aware that it will hardly prepare her for a more intelligent opponent. She often is caught up in her own thoughts however, to the point that sometimes she ends up beating her opponents much more thoroughly than needed, bordering on the point of unnecessary cruelty if not passing it. She never attempts to mention her outings to anyone.

Hearing of the search for Luz, Aige decides to visit the Greenbough Orchards, more out of a sense of obligation to the team's search so the location can be crossed off. If they're not there (and Aige is not particularly expecting it), she'll just have more time to herself.

Back
Top Bottom