• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

One Shot Writing Contest! Goin for the Gold!

~Final Battle~

I walked through the entrance, not knowing what to expect. Was this the right entrance? Would I have to go back through the portion without the aid of Flash to find a weak Pokémon capable of learning Waterfall, since my Lapras could not? Would I even beat Red if I had my whole team assembled?

I would not know until I tried.

The path bridged a chasm. Instinctively I thought that this was the right way.

I was correct.

I stopped short as the red-tinted sprite of Red entered the screen, not sure if he would challenge me as Lance had done, preventing me from saving beforehand. I saved on the staircase to the final platform, and then walked up.

The battle music, now familiar from my repeated duels with Lance, began to play.

My Pokémon... were they strong enough to defeat Red's Pokémon? Two of his I could not score super effective hits on, and they were all at least fifteen levels above mine. But I was determined... and I thought that I might have a chance, however slight, of defeating him.

Six Pokémon apiece.

Six battles for the final ending of the game, the ending I had only heard about. Wolfheart hadn't beaten Red, to my knowledge. Nobody I knew had.

Six Pokémon...

There was Hazy the Graveler, named after the course Hazy Maze Cave from Super Mario 64... where one of the stars was, appropriately, "Watch for Rolling Rocks". A rather humorous name, but it was either that or Rollerer. But I digress... how well Hazy has served me throughout all my battles! Defeating Lance's Charizard in a hit with Rock Throw of all things while two levels lower, and having the most powerful Attack of all my Pokémon... and the moves to back it up. Earthquake, Rock Throw - for I was not fond of Rollout due to its accuracy -, Explosion - although admittedly I had not used it, not having had a situation yet in which to use it - and Strength, for despite its HM status it was the best move I could find for Hazy. I have never been fond of using TMs unless I have good reason to - the reason none of my Pokémon have Rock Smash, either.

Sunstream, my Espeon... bred from Bill's Eevee so as to raise his happiness more easily, Sunstream could take three of the five Elite Four members if he felt up to it. Sunstream... he had tried to evolve at level 28, an unusually early level for an Eevee, but I had put it off until level 30 for the sake of Bite. The fastest of my Pokémon, Sunstream had managed to make Lance's Aerodactyl flinch three times out of four with Bite. And his moveset... Psychic, Bite - my best protection against fellow Psychic-types -., Morning Sun - although it has not yet been used - and Quick Attack for those annoying times when your opponent has so little HP left...

Minuit, my Noctowl... originally named Hoot after the book/movie, but after she evolved I reconsidered her name and changed it to the better-fitting Minuit... or the French word for "midnight". It was a shame she did not learn any special attacks until level 50, for a Noctowl does not have the best Attack in the world... honestly a shame. Her moveset... consists of Fly - for I find Fly to be an alright move ingame, at least -, Hypnosis, Confusion - for the sake of a special move - and Dream Eater - again for the sake of a special move, and not to put Hypnosis to waste so much...

Icerain, my Lapras... When I first began training her, she was not as strong as I remembered from my catastrophic Elite Four challenge of my previous file. I put off training her for Chuck for last... and then she turned out to be an extremely competent member... defeating all of Lance's Dragonite in a hit (although she was slower than them) with Ice Beam at level 43... and her moveset is Surf, Sing - although it is never used for its inaccuracy, it is still there should the need arise -, Ice Beam, and Body Slam...

Windmill, my Electabuzz... the name is somewhat of a joke. I had looked at an Elekid and read how it needed to rotate its arms to charge power, and was reminded of a windmill. Despite the name, Windmill... could defeat Lance's Gyarados in a hit with Thunderpunch, although that isn't much of a surprise... She was hatched from the Odd Egg, and by that point I was so relieved to have an Elekid that I could not be bothered to keep attempting to get a shiny one. I suppose it was worth it, though... Her moveset consists of Swift, Screech - rarely used, but when I need to use Swift for something, this is the move I use -, Thunderbolt, and Thunderpunch...

And finally, Flametail, my starting Typhlosion... Named after my best friend on the whole planet, as Typhlosion is her favorite Pokémon. And oh, how great she was...! So many of the Elite Four's Pokémon could be taken out with a move even as weak - for a level 43 Typhlosion, that is - as Flame Wheel. Most definitely one of my favorites used... her moveset consists of Flame Wheel, Smokescreen - although it is never used, like Icerain's Sing, it is there just in case -, Swift, and Flamethrower...

Six Pokémon, all level 60.

Ready to face off to Red.

... and nobody...

Hazy was first in my lineup as I challenged Red. Pikachu attempted to Charm me, but it failed, and Hazy proceeded to defeat Pikachu in one hit with an Earthquake.

... in all of Oz...

I sent out Sunstream against Red's Espeon. Somehow Sunstream was faster than his Espeon, and he used Bite... not defeating it... not even taking away half of its health. Espeon used Psychic, but - ha! - that only did about a quarter of Sunstream's HP in damage. He then used Bite once more, getting it down to something like a third, and Espeon used Psychic, leaving Sunstream at around half health. One more Bite defeated Espeon.

... no wizard that there is...

Next up was... Snorlax. I sent out Hazy to soften the damage from its Normal attacks. Hazy was faster, and he used Earthquake, taking away around a third of Snorlax's HP. Snorlax used Amnesia... a pitiful defense against Hazy's physical attacks. Another Earthquake brought Snorlax to just above a third of his health, and Snorlax used Body Slam. An unfortunate critical hit brought Hazy to half health - and paralyzed, too. I used a Full Restore, and Snorlax used Body Slam, this time taking away about 1/3 of Hazy's HP. One Earthquake later, Snorlax... survived with, quite literally, one HP left. He then proceeded to use Rest. Hazy used Earthquake both turns Snorlax was sleeping, getting it to about 1/3 of its health once more. Both turns, Snorlax used Snore, taking away about 1/8 of Hazy's HP each time.

Hazy's third Earthquake did not defeat Snorlax, who woke up and proceeded to Rest again. The exact same sequence as above proceeded, and yet again did not defeat it. Snorlax used Rest again...

This time, after the first Earthquake and Snore, Hazy used Strength twice - with a Snore in between - in the hopes of getting it to low enough HP that an Earthquake could defeat it. However, when Snorlax woke up, it used Body Slam, which scored another critical hit and defeated Hazy.

I sent out Minuit, who used Fly. Snorlax missed with Body Slam, and then Fly hit, getting Snorlax into the red zone. Snorlax hit with a Body Slam, taking about 2/3 of Minuit's HP. Minuit used Fly again, but when she hit, Snorlax survived with one HP again, and then defeated Minuit with Body Slam. I sent out Sunstream and I finally defeated Snorlax with Sunstream's Quick Attack.

... or was...

Red sent out Charizard; I sent out Icerain. Charizard was faster and used Flamethrower, dealing close to half of Icerain's health in damage. Icerain's Surf did about 2/3 damage. Charizard used Flamethrower again, leaving Icerain in the red zone. She used Surf and defeated Charizard.

... is ever going to bring...

Next match was Venusaur versus Flametail. Flametail was faster and dealt around 2/3 damage with Flamethrower. Venusaur started a Solarbeam, but did not get to fire it before Flametail defeated it with another Flamethrower.

... me...

The final match... Blastoise versus Windmill. This win and it was over. Would I really actually defeat Red for the first time ever? Would it happen?

Windmill dealt around 2/3 damage with Thunderbolt... I knew, right then, I knew that this would work. If Blastoise defeated Windmill, I had five other Pokémon and plenty of healing items.

This was going to work.

Blastoise used Whirlpool on Windmill... not nearly enough damage to defeat Windmill.

One more Thunderbolt did the trick.

... down... !

Over. It was over. My trainer quest, over. My Crystal game, over. There were still Pokémon to catch and trainers to fight, but... for the most part...

It was finished.

My final battle.

The Hardest Letter

Dear Dad,

I like to think that in the end, everything always works out.

I’m usually right, except when it came to you.

Why did I think you would change? Maybe it was my naïve hope that somehow, you really did love me. I tried hard, I did what you said, but in the end it was all the same.

I loved you. Mama did too. I think a small part of her still does. I remember when you loved me too. You took me everywhere, you taught me everything. I loved you more than I loved Mama, I’m afraid to say. That changed.

Do you remember when it started happening? I know that I do, no matter how I tried to forget it. It was rather unprovoked, if I do say so myself. What happened? Was it a bad day at work? Did I do something bad, even if I didn’t know it? Did you just not like me?

I never told anyone either. If they asked me where you were, I just told them that you were dead. I never could bring myself to add the “to me”. Even back then when Shigeru cared and would ask me about what happened, I told him it was nothing. Knowing him, he never believed me, but he never stressed it. He was always the smarter of us two.

I don’t know why I never told Mama either. Maybe I just didn’t want her to get worried. Maybe it was because I thought she would just laugh. Looking back, that was a stupid thought. She would never do that. But you said so, so like a good son I believed you.

Maybe I’m lucky that I was never sexually abused. It could’ve been much worse. With the amount of haltered you held, I doubt it would’ve been long, though.

But you gave me my scars. I still have that fear of knives, even though that’s almost the only thing I’m afraid of. I still don’t know why I went to Shigeru before Mama, but I did, making him the only friend of mine who knows. Maybe I thought he would spring into action. He did, and more angry then I have seen him sense then, he ran to his grandfather, who then told Mama.

Like with Shigeru, I haven’t seen Mama so angry sense then. As you know, you two were divorced as fast as the legal system allowed.

I do think I have to thank you for making me such a good person. I think seeing evil like that so early on cemented my optimism, strangely enough. So thank you. I’m not a person to hold grudges, so if I ever see you again, take this as your rant. And your invitation to be a father to me again. Maybe that’s immature for a fourteen year old, but I believe that you still love me somewhere deep down. I know that I do at the very least.

At the very least, I hope you could be proud of me. I’ve come far, and traveled just about everywhere in just four years. I hope this letter finds you.

Satoshi

I sighed and put down my pencil, rubbing my eyes. Hardest letter to write I ever wrote, I noted to myself. Looking it over, it was a tad bit immature, but it got the point across.

“Pikapi?” I heard Pikachu ask at my feet. I looked down from the desk at the center we were staying at and patted him.

“It’s nothing,” I reassured Pikachu. He just stared at me trying to figure me out. “Really,” I added. Pikachu sighed and climbed up me. I quickly folded the letter and stuffed it into an envelope, scribbling Dad’s name on it. It might’ve be a bad idea to write this when I don’t know where he lives. I sighed. “Hopefully Joi-san can look it up…”

“Satoshi?” I turned my head to the door where Hikari was. Being Hikari, Pochama has practically strapped to her chest. Like you’re one to talk, I reminded myself. “Are you ready to go?” she asked. I nodded.

“Yeah, I just have to give something to Joi-san on the way out,” I answered.

“Okay,” she replied and closed the door behind her. I sighed and put the letter in my pocket. I can’t believe I’m actually doing this. Making sure that Pikachu was on my head and not my shoulder; I grabbed my backpack and swung it on while going out.
----------
“Where’s Takeshi?” I asked Hikari.

“Where you would think he would be,” she said. I raised an eyebrow. “He has Gureggru with him.” I relaxed.
-----------
Sure enough, he was being pulled away by the time we had gotten downstairs. I walked up to the still shocked Joi-san. I pulled the letter out of my pocket and showed it to her.

“Could you mail this for me?” I asked her. She looked at me and smiled.

“Sure,” she said and I handed her the letter. She looked at the envelope. “Why isn’t there an address?” I rubbed my head.

“I hoped you could get it. I don’t know where he lives,” I answered.

“I see. How do you know him?” Joi-san asked. I bit my lip.

“He’s my…” I paused. “Father…” I said more quietly.

“Well, I’ll see what I can do.” I smiled.
“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“C’mon Satoshi!” Hikari called out, “We have to go!”

“Okay,” I replied as I ran to my friends. What will you do if he replies? asked a voice in my head. Then I’ll reply, I answered myself.
-----------------

Yay, something dark! Satoshi is kinda OOC, but it could be worse. By the way, they really do call the Nurse Joys "Joi-san".

The Rift

A great, metallic roar split the sky like a crack of lightning. A dusk blue quadruped threw back its steel-horned head and gave a mighty cry, the large fangs glinting in the dark sky. A blue arrow-like pattern headed down its long head, ending at its flat mouth and crossing above its piercing red eyes. It was standing on a giant, rocky cliff, as if summoning the black clouds that were closing in on the deep canyon.

On the opposite side of the seemingly bottomless trench, another huge creature stood. It was bipedal and colored a very light pink, and its head and neck were long, and it had a large ridge starting between its eyes and head and going down its body, stopping between its round shoulder blades. Its eyes were identical to the quadruped’s. On each shoulder there was a round pearl embedded, and it also had a set of huge, feathery wings. Its tail was long and thick, and its legs were strong, at least enough to hold up its huge, three-clawed feet.

Both creatures appeared rather robotic, with metallic cries and huge proportions. For a moment, the biped peered into the canyon below its feet, then glared up at the quadruped, its dark eyes narrowed. It let out a savage growl like space being distorted. “Dialga… today is when you die!”

But the cool, calm Dialga simply chuckled and replied, “Not so fast, Palkia. Don’t count your Torchic eggs before they hatch.” And with that, he opened his mouth, creating a sphere of a dark kind of energy inside it. With that, he let out another furious call, and Palkia felt dizzy and off-balance at that moment. His memories were jumbled, but after Dialga quieted, the powerful deity grasped his head, but managed to stand up straight and return to normal.

“You’ll need something better than that,” he laughed, and stomped the ground hard and repeatedly, so much that it shook and almost threw even him down into the abyss.
Dialga struggled to keep its footing, the rage mixing with fear to become one huge, confounding emotion. After the earthquake finally settled, the ground wrecked, the dragon stood up and admitted in a serious tone, “I have to say that you are good. But perhaps, not good enough!”

With that, he gathered another ball of light blue energy in his fangs, and then spit it towards his enemy. Startled, Palkia examined the sphere just before it hit him in the chest, knocking him backwards and causing him to land on his side and tumble for a moment before stopping with a cloud of dust.

For a moment, Palkia lay there, and Dialga held his head high, a faint smile forming on his face. Perhaps he had won after all.

But Dialga had thought too soon. The long-necked creature on the other side of the rift clawed the ground and stood up, shaking itself off. “You can’t be serious,” he taunted. “How could such a wimp be left to take care of all of time?”

Palkia spread his wings with an angry gaze and soared into the air, hovering just above the rift, closer to Dialga. And, as if he were standing on nothing, he raised a claw and appeared to tear into nothingness. A swarm of black matter swam towards Dialga, who teetered on his large boulder, then fell onto the ground with a thud that caused the ground to quiver.

With that, Palkia touched down softly on the ground next to Dialga, his shoulder towards the Pokémon’s head, as if preparing to strike.

“You’re done for,” Palkia growled haughtily, glancing up at the sky. He gave a great, metallic cry, and the darkened, cloudy sky flashed, all of the clouds quickly dissipating into nothing before Dialga’s frightened eyes. Dialga had never felt this scared in his life, and his blue body trembled ever so slightly. He wanted to conceal it, but since Palkia’s keen senses of space were almost unbeatable, his enemy would have known anyway.

Suddenly, the canvas of sky flashed more rapidly, and there was a great rumbling sound, like an earthquake. And then, suddenly, was as if a star had fallen out of the sky and landed right next to them.

“There’s no way to escape Draco Meteor,” Palkia chuckled, spreading his wings and creating a wall that protected him. However, Dialga was vulnerable, and seemed to shrink as a fiery light headed straight for him, growing bigger by the moment.

But then, there was a huge, silver shape with evil-looking black wings that had red claws on the end. The shape bore a long, snake-like tail and six short legs. Dialga immediately recognized the shape, and said the same thing as Palkia at the same time.
“Giratina?”

The ghost-like creature had his own wall of light dissipate as the meteors calmed down, and then faced both of them by ascending slightly, glancing at the now-blank, starry sky before he spoke in his booming voice.

“You two must both survive to keep the balance of the world. If one dies, all the universes will be destroyed.”

Palkia cut in with a sharp voice. “It’s not like I care. This world has no need for Dialga. Why did you make another being to take care of time?! All my life, I’ve been called irresponsible and naughty. But I’m tired of it! I want to be the ruler of the dimensions and show everyone my worth!”

And with that, he gathered a dark energy around his claws, and slashed Dialga directly on the neck.

There was no blood. Just a raspy gasp, and wide eyes. And the word, “Brother!”

Giratina stood, horrified and in shock, as if he were mummified. With a growl, he glared at Palkia, murmuring, “There’s only one way I can save these dimensions: by destroying you just as you did Dialga.”

With that, the fearsome Pokémon tripped Palkia merely with one of its legs, and sent the spatial Pokémon hurtling down into the mist of the rift.

Well animorph, it is. But i suppose i'll make an exception.
One exta day shouldn't hurt anything. You're signed up.

*Begins reading stories*

Righty then, here's my uber awesome story.

Shadows of the Arctic Night

The pale light of the moon cast a silvery glow over the frozen landscape. A landscape that was cold as it was harsh. What little else light there was in this freezing, unforgiving land came from the stars, and the flicker of an aurora attempting to ignite itself. It was a place where few survived, and those that did, barely managed the feat. Trees grew in places, stunted in their growth by the lack of it in warmth. And while little life flickered within these evergreens, they were living, as with the rest of this icy world’s inhabitants. Predators, prey. The order of things here was much the same as with other regions, only here it was far colder and harsher. As were the inhabitants. As was the climate.

Constant hunger drove the predatory beasts to their prey, these predatory beasts of cold and darkness. They were one with the arctic night itself. Their very essence exuded darkness. Their power came from the very temperature that constantly threatened their life.

As well as their prey’s life. A slow, lumbering herd of longhaired, brown beasts. Fur covered their entire body, from the shoulder to the head down to the feet. They seemed to be simply lumps of fur, with a round pink nose, like a pig’s, and short white tusks. Presently, a herd of these mammals were foraging for what tiny amount of plant material might be buried under the thick layer of snow. Long dead grass, frozen roots, anything to sate the insatiable hunger of the prey. They were fifteen strong, but their numbers were no use against the impressive coordination of the predators that even now, stalked them.

The predators were fierce in every aspect. Bipedal, powerful and completely deadly. Long, thin arms belied the immense power of their limbs. Three razor sharp claws protruded from the end of each limb, deadly as could be. Their large heads each contained a powerful brain, capable of complex thoughts and emotions unseen in most predators. Through a series of squeaks, grunts and growls, they were able to communicate their intentions to other members of the pack. From one ear to the other, there was a large half-ring of pink feathers, like an exotic headdress -which they could manipulate using muscles just under the skin- to aid in communication. A large pink feather grew from each ear, to aid in keeping it warm, and also in communication. Three pink feathers also sprouted from their rears, and served as tails. Covering their entire body was a thick layer of black, waterproof feathers, similar to a penguin’s, to aid in keeping these predators warm. Their mouths contained two rows of razor sharp teeth, sufficiently strong and sharp enough to enable them to eat anything organic, even the teeth of their prey. Not a scrap of what little food these beasts managed to consume went to waste. For hours after a kill, they would groom themselves and each other until there wasn’t a drop of blood left anywhere on their body, they would even lick blood from the snow, and even eat the hair of their prey.

There were four of them in the pack that stalked the herd in question. Yet four was enough to take at least one of the herd mammals down. The largest in the herd was the oldest, and this was the target. Its fur was a darker brown than the others, it had longer tusks than the others, and it was fiercer than the others. But it walked with a limp, and so it was now somewhat behind the herd, as they were preparing to move on. It made a sound somewhere between a growl and a grunt, to signal the herd to slow down, but they didn’t respond. They sensed that something was near, and were rather frightened. Many yards away hid the pack of predators, which formed a plan to take down the old prey mammal. And take it down they would, for they were starving and hadn’t eaten for over a week, and they would die before they gave up on this potential meal.

They waited. The herd moved ridiculously slowly, and the older, limping one moved even slower, but it was still close to the herd, and if the predators were noticed, the entire herd would charge and gore them. So they waited some more, as they slowly followed the herd, hiding behind trees as they went.

The herd was now about hundred yards ahead of the limping prey. And the predators were prepared to take the limping one down. They were arranged so that two would charge the mammal diagonally from the front, and as it turned around to flee, it would run into two more from behind. Soon it would be far enough away for the predators to begin their attack.

And the predators waited even longer, as the target prey fell farther and farther behind. It struggled to keep up, and even attempted to run, but this stressed its wounded leg, and threatened to break it. So it walked, and hoped that its herd would notice that it was behind. At one point, a herd member noticed that the limping mammal was behind, and stopped for a few seconds to call to it, and urge it hurry, but then the calling mammal began to fall behind too, and so turned around and began to continue on with the rest of the herd.

And now it gave up hope, this limping mammal. It gave up hope of returning to its herd, and of surviving. For thirty-five years, it had walked this arctic landscape, sired many members of its own herd, and even gored multiple predators. But now, it had no hope of ever returning to herd.

Though it had been fine just twelve hours before, it had been bashed in the leg by a herd member that had suddenly and unexpectedly gone mad. Though the mad herd mammal had been gored to death after this, it had still inflicted serious damage to the now limping mammal.

The predators then began their assault. Two charged at the mammal from the front, they dashed like bolts of lightning; clouds of snow were thrown up behind them as they ran at their incredible speed. But the mammal noticed them as they came at it, and it instinctually turned around and began to run the other way.

Then its leg gave in. It shattered like a window pane under the force of a sledge hammer. The mammal screamed in agony. And as it collapsed to the snowy ground, it noticed that there were two more predators, so there were two in the front and two behind it. Pure terror rushed through this animal, for it did not want to die, as any normal animal would, but there was no escape. So it closed its eyes, and braced itself against the pain of the predators tearing it apart.

Which they did. They absorbed energy from the freezing air and channelled it directly into their fangs, and as they grew close to their prey, they jumped, and landed atop it, four at once, and sixteen unimaginably cold fangs sunk into the prey and drew heat from it. It screamed in pain once more, briefly, and died.

And in half a minute, there was nothing left of the mammal. Not a hair, or a tooth or a drop of blood was left on the ground; all of it was consumed by the ravenous predators. And yet, they were still plagued by terrible hunger and so they moved on, as swiftly as before, planning, and hiding, waiting for another chance at food; these shadows of the arctic night.

And in case you didn't figure it out already, this was about weaviles (the predators) hunting piloswines (the prey mammals).

Last edited:
I am now officially a judge. I hope to see good writing from all the contestants, and also be careful with your word choice. Spell check only catches grammar or spelling errors, but some words aren't what you meant, like "patently" instead of "patiently". And be creative, even if it's nonfiction! ("Her hair was long and yellow" sounds boring to me. "Her hair was golden, and fell just below her shoulders" is much more interesting.)

Good luck to everyone! You can never win on skill alone, because you never know who else is entering. (Hey, how would you do against a best-selling author? Or an Olympic gold medalist in a swimming contest?)

Oh FUUUU- I forgot to write something >_> So I guess I'm pulling out. Dragon can't be trusted with anything >_<"

Unfortunately, likewise. I didn't realise Id have stupid Bio project that would take up mopst of my time. D:

Back
Top Bottom