• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Operating Systems

What OS do you use?

• Windows

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Linux

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Mac

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • UNIX

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Multiple

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
But I do admit the Microsoft Office is EXCELLENT!
by and large, most people seem to use office suites because they don't know how to use real tools that are a little more appropriate for the job

I don't know much about it, but from what I've seen, it doesn't look as good as mac or windows.
what

what

what

what

what

See, Hostility. Vladmir Putin's LJ, wherever I seem to go in the coughing cupboard and Debating Hall, you always seem to want to COMPLETELY put down whatever I say. I MUST know why this is.
if I may hazard a guess: because most of what you say is uninformed at best and astoundingly wrong at worst

Soo, What program do you use for making spreadsheets?
you are 13. what on earth do you need spreadsheets for? I'm almost 22 and I never crack open Calc. I only ever crack open office apps at all when a coworker or client sends me something that didn't really need to be done in an office app in the first place.

Last edited:
Excel uses the Julian calendar instead of Gregorian

Is there a difference? And how do calendars affect spreadsheets?

There're other things -- it declares anything vaguely resembling a date/time field 'date/time' without prompting, which means that if you have something even slightly looking like it could be a date, you get to have happy fun losing-your-data time just because Excel is retarded -- but I don't really want to get into that.
How does having a wrong date/time make you lose your data?

tbh I would go for XP.

Vista uses too much memory just for the "cool" effects but can be tolerable on a high-end processor. I don't really hate the Mac, but I wouldn't use it myself; I don't use any of the apps plus there aren't many programs that are compatible on the Mac.

No opinion on Linux, but being raised on Windows it seems a bit fiddly.

OK, so now I'm being criticized for my beliefs? I'm being criticized for liking Office? I'm Being criticized for seeing some of Linux on the web and not seeing utter greatness? I'm being criticized for going to a school that makes me be computer savvy to graduate? Why must you criticize me?

OK, so now I'm being criticized for my beliefs? I'm being criticized for liking Office? I'm Being criticized for seeing some of Linux on the web and not seeing utter greatness? I'm being criticized for going to a school that makes me be computer savvy to graduate? Why must you criticize me?
You act like a complete moron in this thread and are suddenly surprised when people grow a little bitter towards you?

Is there a difference? And how do calendars affect spreadsheets?

How does having a wrong date/time make you lose your data?
Um, yes, there's a difference. o_O

Gee, I don't know, maybe if you were doing some sort of calculation involving long periods of time? :|||

Date/time stuff and strings are stored differently. You can't get whatever it was originally back and if it wasn't supposed to be a date/time field, then that would be a bad thing.

Some geneticists were using Microsoft Excel and it kept converting their data to date/time.

OK, so now I'm being criticized for my beliefs?
no, your beliefs are being criticized. maybe instead of whining when people call you uninformed and trying to compare it to religious persecution, you should spend the time becoming informed instead

I'm being criticized for liking Office?
where the fuck did anyone criticize you for liking Office

I'm Being criticized for seeing some of Linux on the web and not seeing utter greatness?
all I said was "what"

and again, no, you're being criticized for being uninformed

I'm being criticized for going to a school that makes me be computer savvy to graduate?
what does this have to do with anything

Why must you criticize me?
oh no, people on the Internet aren't going to accept my baseless banter at face value and are instead pointing out where it is completely worthless and why.

GAH. I tried Ubuntu for a while and liked it, but I could never get TF2 to run well on it. All I got was 30 fps on wine, if I was lucky ;_;

So, I use Vista. Do I like it? Not really...but at least it plays my SHOOTAN GAEMS well. XP, on the other hand, is a fossil and needs to be buried.

you are 13. what on earth do you need spreadsheets for? I'm almost 22 and I never crack open Calc. I only ever crack open office apps at all when a coworker or client sends me something that didn't really need to be done in an office app in the first place.

I'm in school, and I've used Office plenty of times. In fact, I rely on certain features, such as the PDF add-on for Word '07 and the calendar in Outlook, for school work. I'm not even in college, and I still use this shit.

Probably because there's no reason to load up a bulky program and make lots of bulky files when they're freaking text-only.

1zb9wfr.png

How did this happen? I have about 20GB of games, and 10GB of music. Yet, Vista's using over 100GB on my HDD! How...? Is Vista really that bloated?

I wouldn't be surprised.

It's either Vista or various programs you've installed. Or both.

Odd. I probably have WAY more crap on my comp, and it takes up WAY less space than yours

...And now that I see that my hard drive can only hold 144 GB, I am wondering:

Should I get more space, and what would I buy to do so?

Anyways, how does one get Linux onto their computer? And is there a way to test it without uninstalling the current OS (I heard that Linux can boot up on a computer without replacing its OS)? I want to try it out WITHOUT my dad killing me x.x

Odd. I probably have WAY more crap on my comp, and it takes up WAY less space than yours

...And now that I see that my hard drive can only hold 144 GB, I am wondering:

Should I get more space, and what would I buy to do so?

Anyways, how does one get Linux onto their computer? And is there a way to test it without uninstalling the current OS (I heard that Linux can boot up on a computer without replacing its OS)? I want to try it out WITHOUT my dad killing me x.x
Google 'ubuntu' and burn a live CD. You can run Ubuntu from a CD; no idea about other distros.

Back
Top Bottom