• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Post your desktop.

I just got my laptop back from repair yesterday, after almost 9 months of it being broken and having to use a work computer. It feels like having an old friend back. Here's my desktop, nothing fancy or anything--just a depiction of the #1 god in the universe.

Screen Shot 2020-05-16 at 10.20.24 AM.png

(I'm referring to Hanuman, but sure, jai shree ram and all that. I guess.)

Also, I'm surprised to see so many esoteric linux distros here. I swear I've only ever known people to use Ubuntu, Kali, and Red Hat in real life (I mean that, in my memory I've literally never seen or heard anyone reference another distro offline. Maybe Raspberry Pi, if that runs its own distro.) Kudos to you guys for your commitment to nerdery-they do look damn sleek.

Last edited:
I think everyone who posted a Linux desktop here has actually just been using a flavour of Ubuntu?

skylar's was Ubuntu with KDE, Mawile's was Ubuntu with XFCE, and mine is Linux Mint which is also basically an Ubuntu distro.

I think everyone who posted a Linux desktop here has actually just been using a flavour of Ubuntu?

skylar's was Ubuntu with KDE, Mawile's was Ubuntu with XFCE, and mine is Linux Mint which is also basically an Ubuntu distro.

Oh I see--so just Ubuntu with some different UIs? Makes sense.

Last edited:
You’re all here using cool Linux distros and I’m stuck on a 2007 Macbook running OSX 10.6.8

I do like my “vintage” (according to Apple, anyway) MacBook for other reasons, though, like the huge number of ports it has & the lovely keyboard

Last edited:
I too am a linux nerd, but with two screens

clean one:
w2SgdY5.png

terminal + rofi for launching applications
sZFxf66.png

Gosh, I wonder what the chances are of just happening to run into another rofi user!

Since moving to i3 a year or so ago, I don't really have a "desktop" as such, but here is the background for workspaces without anything open:
D3nrheb.jpg

and with terminal & rofi:
jZhtV8g.png

Your rofi is much more nicely styled. I couldn't figure out the config file format so I just used one of the default themes.

Gosh, I wonder what the chances are of just happening to run into another rofi user!
I love rofi! It's so efficient.

I couldn't figure out the config file format so I just used one of the default themes.
Oh, this is one of the default themes I think? It's Arc-Dark. This is the command assigned to the shortcut I use to bring it up (Mod4+R): rofi -show drun -show-icons -drun-icon-theme Papirus-Dark -drun-display-format {name}

Okay so I'm bumping this because I'm looking for a background and am having difficulty, wanted to see if anyone else has Opinions on what kind of backgrounds they prefer. Having a look back over the thread I can see my opinion 10 years ago kind of matched is what it is today:

choosing a wallpaper is a tricky business...
Yes!

I spent way too long looking for wallpapers yesterday. I have a folder full of them that my computer changes between every half an hour, and I realised that I only had one Zelda picture in there (gasp!), but even after ages of looking, I only now have five.

I'm really picky about what my wallpapers are like. I don't like it if too much is going on, I don't like it if too little is going on. If the focus is one one person, I don't like that one person to be too big, or looking at the camera. I don't like it if the stuff that is going on isn't well distributed across the screen, and I generally don't like screenshots of shows. I don't often like ones that are trying to have some weird style like emphasising outlines or things like that.

I guess it's surprising there are any images that fit my criteria? I also have a smaller sub-folder full of images I don't want to be used as wallpapers at the moment, for whatever reason.

I want a desktop with a lot of "noise", but no little to no focus. I used to like minimalist backgrounds where most of the screen was a solid colour, gradient, or simple pattern with a character or object quite small in the corner. That doesn't do it for me any more, it looks too empty and often flat.

It's funny that the most recent discussions in this thread were about flavours of Linux since I recently switched from Pop!_OS using GNOME to Linux Mint XFCE.

I wanted to have a purple colour scheme last time so I was using this background:
E1aEeXR.png
There's a lot of noise going on (particle effects, etc.) which pulls attention away from Megumin who would otherwise be the sole focus of the image. I've come to learn the phrase "liminal space" which refers to places that feel eerily empty because they're not a place you would otherwise pay attention to for their own sake. Like shopping malls when there's nobody there, or a school corridor at night, or the backgrounds to pictures on the front of lego sets without the lego in it. I feel like that's a good starting point for the kind of background I want, but I want there to be something in the image but without it being the focus.

I'm currently looking for something with a green colour scheme, like the Voice of the Forest style here on TCoD. Where do people here usually get their backgrounds? I usually go to wallhaven.cc, not sure if anyone has any suggestions for better places to get them?

EDIT:
Some extra thoughts. If it helps explain the look I'm going for, backgrounds with the vapourwave aesthetic almost have what I want, with the VCR effects providing noise and abstract wireframe backgrounds giving it a liminal look. But the colours are often too neon over too large an area, or it's combined with stuff I don't want like 420 weed culture or overly risqué images of Evangelion characters.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom