• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Projection on the outside world?

I liek Squirtles

sobble squad
Pronoun
he
As I have crammed down the throats of a few members, I live in Puerto Rico, a small island right next to the Dominican Republic. Maybe you've been here, maybe not. However, I've barely ever seen my country in international news. How, in each of your respective countries, is Puerto Rico viewed?

Quite honestly, I'm not sure whether or not the American Flag is going to have a 51st star by next year or not. I keep hearing things both ways from various media sources.

Actually, the then-ruling party that wants statehood's most important members can't speak English fluently; some of them even screw up Spanish.

But besides "DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS VIOLENCE STATEHOOD" is there nothing else? The US doesn't realize it, but they're knee deep in their own problems and ignoring their territories. If they could send a couple of people, invest in our agriculture, etc they also invest in their economy.

The US doesn't realize it, but they're knee deep in their own problems and ignoring their territories. If they could send a couple of people, invest in our agriculture, etc they also invest in their economy.

It's exactly that, they're not states. As it is, the US is only involved with them on an international level, ie how they act with OTHER nations. Puerto Rico's gov't is its own. The US isn't supposed to help it with its, as you mentioned, agriculture. Sucks to say it, but that's its own problem. The US would only help if it became a state, which its not. It's an unincorporated territory.

As it is, you don't pay US federal income taxes, nor do you receive state funding.

The UK seems to like Puerto Rico as a holiday destination, as flights and time differences seem to be the majority of hits on Google. There's also this year-old BBC factfile on Puerto Rico.

Google's also suggesting that maybe I want to search 'puerto rico furniture'. ... ???

I honestly can't remember seeing or hearing anything about Puerto Rico in Australian news, except maybe about US statehood last year. :/

I recognize the name, but I don't really know where or what Puerto Rico actually is. (Geography isn't exactly my area of expertise.)

I have to admit that where I hear about Puerto Rico most often is in commercials where they talk about places where offers are not valid.

As it is, you don't pay US federal income taxes, nor do you receive state funding.

We pay federal taxes. We serve in their military; we need some type of recognition.

every single person that is not puerto rican ever said:
The UK seems to like Puerto Rico as a holiday destination, as flights and time differences seem to be the majority of hits on Google. I honestly can't remember seeing or hearing anything about Puerto Rico in [insert native country here] news, except maybe about US statehood last year. :/ I recognize the name, but I don't really know where or what Puerto Rico actually is. (Geography isn't exactly my area of expertise.) I have to admit that where I hear about Puerto Rico most often is in commercials where they talk about places where offers are not valid.

Pretty much everyone that is not puerto rican I've ever known said this to me. No kidding.

Problems like this deter us from having a better economy. And, since our government is independent, why don't other countries approach us?

I want Puerto Rico to become a state because 51 is more messy than 50.

Other than that though, I don't really have an impression of Puerto Rico, good or bad.

I'm slightly more aware of Puerto Rico's internal affairs than most but only because I read a lot of foreign policy news, it's definitely not that Ireland pays any more attention to Puerto Rico than anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom