• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

(Sign-ups) Shadows

Cynder

hapless homestuck
Pronoun
any
The World has a shadow. The Ancients knew this, and they told us. We ignored them, the stories, myths, passed down for generations in untouched parts of the world; the inscriptions on the ancient temples, newly discovered again; in our very dreams, those of darkness and fear, nightmares. All that and we still ignored them

Their prophecies detailed the impossible, something that couldn’t be done. Until now, that is. The ability to cross dimensions is a thing only a few Pokémon know: Mismagius, Shedinja, Shuppet, and others. The Ancients, having no need for this ability, did not use it, but they heeded the warnings of the Travelers, writing down the cryptic words as law. But now, their words lost and ignored, we have built machines capable of opening rifts in reality. We, foolish humans, kept them open, studied them, tried to understand them, but all we succeeded in doing was to destroy the world as we knew it.

Months passed as the portals went unnoticed by the Shadow, and we thought it was uninhabitable. Months passed as the Shadow’s portals went unnoticed by us, until they closed theirs, deeming our world inhospitable to life. We kept ours open, continued studying the rifts, wondering how we could use this new technology, this new world. Then the Shadow noticed our presence and rent the rifts open, blasting dark energy across our world. This has irrevocably changed our world, the wilderness is filled with warped Pokémon that devour anything that cannot protect itself, the cities are filled with people fleeing the disasters, and there are craters centered on the rifts which now connect our World to its Shadow.

Basically, the world has entered a new Dark Age. Will it recover? How? The flow of people into cities has nearly stopped, and Martial Law rules most, elsewhere it's survival of the fittest as rival gangs compete for dwindling resources. Dark-types roam the wilds outside of the cities and there are portals to the Shadow World. However, a few untouched regions exist.

Rules:​
  • You are playing as a human, along with a pokemon companion. Your occupation can be anything.
  • Pick a Pokemon from the fourth generation or before(Only a couple of people should have a Ghost-type, no Dark-types unless it really fits your character)
  • No Mary Sues (do I even need to say it?)
Application
Name:
Location: (Unova and regions created after do not exist in this world, but you can be anywhere else)
[b]Appearance: [/b]
[b]Personality: [/b]
[b]Background: [/b]
[b]Pokemon: [/b]
[b]Other: [/b]

Players, First Iteration:
Aaron Sure w/ Tenerock the Nosepass (Stryke)
Morgan d'Argent w/ Mars the Quilava (Cynder)
Marcos Jerrod w/ Calixta the Clefairy (I leik Scythers)
Lyla Prothero w/ Kong the Abomasnow (Sglod)
Rosseaux w/ Medicham (Nira)

Last edited:
Re: (Open) Shadows

Name: Aaron Sure
Appearance: Tall and trim, 15 years old, with ice blue eyes and brown hair so dark it looks black from a distance. Typically wears a fedora, a striped shirt, blue jeans, and loafers.
Personality: Almost always in good spirits. Somewhat of a goofball and cracks jokes and puns often and is a bit if an extrovert, but deep down, he has a burning loyalty to his friends and family, and would fight to the death for them. Otherwise, he's not much of a fighter unless given no choice, and is more of a strategist than brute force attacker. He is very smart and has a photographic memory, but is somewhat socially awkward, which makes him insecure. He can be impulsive, rash, and annoying, but is very insightful and kind, and is a good person to talk to when you're feeling sad.
Background: Born into a small, middle-class family in Pueltown, he was living a very content and happy life. He had a bunch of friends and a loving family, and dreamed of becoming a Pokemon ranger. That all changed when his father was killed by a warped Beedrill in front of his eyes when he was 11. He locked himself in his room for 2 weeks, didn't bathe, and hardly ate, and he pushed away everyone he ever met. He blamed himself, and hated himself for it, which is why he has such a burning desire to protect those close to him. At one point, he considered committing suicide, but, realized that was the cowards way out, and decided instead to avenge his father's death by finding a way to stop the shadows. He eventually got over it by using jokes to cope, but sometimes, he'll stay up all night crying over what could have been.
Pokémon: A Nosepass his father gave him for his 10th birthday named Tenerock.
Other: He is an expert on pokemon, and loves them with a passion. He also was "marked" in a way by the warped beedrill, and can communicate with warped pokemon. And he HATES it when people use his name in stupid puns.

Last edited:
Re: (Open Sign-ups) Shadows

Name: Morgan d'Argent
Appearance: A tall, white-haired, hazel-eyed young man, dressed in a subdued version of the Ranger unifom.
Personality: Grim, yet determined, Morgan is one of the last few who will not flee to the coastal cities of Hoenn. As a Ranger he sees it as his duty to protect this world from the corrupting influence of the Shadow and thinks that the only way he can do that is by finding the rifts and closing them. He would give his life for the good of the many, but he still has scruples about leaving his companions to die for his cause.
Background: Born and raised in Johto, he got a trainers license and managed to get four badges with his faithful Quilava, Mars. After a sound defeat at the Olivine Gym, he was to ashamed to face his family, and left for Oblivia. In a region with no trainers he relaxed and spent three years helping the Rangers keep the peace before being asked to join them. He accepted and released all his Pokemon, but Mars stayed with him and became his partner. He completed his Ranger training there and was stationed at the Fallarbor Ranger Station, Hoenn. When Mauville was destroyed, Morgan contemplated going back to his family, but decided he could help all people and Pokemon by finding a way to close the rifts.
Pokemon: Mars, his faithful starter, now a Quilava.
Other: Found that his styler won't work on the Warped Pokemon.

Last edited:

Should anyone else wish to join, applicants are still accepted. If anyone has any suggestions for how to make this more appealing, please send me VM. I'll open the revised version in this same thread.

Last edited:

Name: Marcos Jerrod
Appearance: Tall and lanky with longish, curly brown hair. He sports a red bandanna around his head, the mark of a breeder.
Personality: Laid-back, though he can become quite the party animal if need be. His shiftlessness often lands him in problems. When it comes down to breeding and his trusted partners, he's deadly serious.
Background: Marcos studied breeding under the tutelage of the father of one of the most renowned Rangers in Almia. His mentor himself was also a fantastic breeder. Marcos became rather apt at breeding; the results of his efforts were often given to rangers as Partner Pokémon. Those who are unclaimed reside in his mentor's farm.
Pokémon: Many help Marcos out with his breeding efforts. He loves, particularly, his Clefairy and Lombre. The former (Calixta) will be accompanying him.
Other: Nope.

I didn't really think this would start any time soon, so thank you to Stryke and I liek Scythers for persevering. The revisions I was planning will be slowly added over time.

Anyone who still wants to join may.

Shadows

Last edited:

Name: Lyla Prothero
Appearance: Short, of medium build. Always wears shorts as any temperature above that of Snowpoint's summer is too hot for her. Freckly with curly ginger hair.
Personality: Hardy, tough and determined. However, she knows when to rest. When needed she can become ruthless, utilising her chief weapon of surprise.
Background: She grew up in Snowpoint, her father a sailor and her mother a environmental worker. She left at the age of 12 to challenge Sinnoh's eight gyms, returning after eight months to challenge Snowpoint's. The month after that, she reached the Elite Four; beating them all but meeting defeat at hands of Cynthia. The next year, at the age of 14, Cynthia and her had a rematch; Lyla coming out the victrix this time. After declining to become Champion she set went to Oblivia to help the Rangers and has lived on Mitonga ever since.
Pokemon: Kong the Abomasnow. Raised from a Snover caught at Lake Acuity and responsible for KOing Cynthia's Garchomp.
Other: She's 19.

why not lol

Name: Rosseaux
Appearance: Wavy black hair about three inches in length and a close-cropped beard. His face is chiselled but not necessarily attractive, and he has a fairly muscular frame (but not excessively so). He stands at average height.
Personality: Detached and stoic, but highly faithful and driven. He has a close bond with his pokémon partner and seems to have bright hopes for the future.
Background: He's a priest of traditional Sinnohi faith and seems to believe that Arceus has blessed him with great knowledge, devotion, and power. He's set out to combat the rampant darkness in the world using his righteous beliefs and divine protection.
Pokemon: Medicham

Ok, some extra information. (Thanks Stryke for asking me about this)

You generally start with one pokemon, but cases like Marcos' are accepted.
Then in your travels you can catch/befriend/whatever other pokemon.
Your pokemon can evolve, this will generally be determined on a case-by-case basis, but will usually involve looking at how much experience that pokemon has (how much it has been used).

Re: (Closed Sign-ups) Shadows

Would anyone be interested if I reopened/restarted Shadows? Alola gave me some ideas (and more material) to work with.

Re: (Closed Sign-ups) Shadows

Would anyone be interested if I reopened/restarted Shadows? Alola gave me some ideas (and more material) to work with.

Most definitely; I really enjoyed this RP, and I was upset to see it dwindle down, so if it reopened, I'd totally come back!

I'm down for another Shadows roleplay, yo.
Tossing around ideas, and I'm feelin' some flow!
EDIT: like maybe an ex-Team Skull grunt or perhaps an Aether Foundation character.
First thing's first, gotta go finish Sun.
EDIT II: weeeeellll my 3DS is kiiiinda broken as of now. But you should be good with spoilers for me until
Cosmog evolves into Solgaleo and you go to Ultra Space, all the way up until you fight the Prez.

Last edited:
Thanks for joining!, but please keep in mind that this might not actually get off the ground a second time.

I do have one slight problem with your character concept, as the Alola region doesn't actually exist in the world that the game takes place in, in the first post I stated that only the regions up to Gen IV were in the world. There are, of course some modifications made to the Gen IV world, namely I am including some alolan forms because they added the Dark type to a couple city-dwelling pokemon. In the same grain I could add the factions, but there would be some differences, such as the Aether Foundation would be more focused on saving pokemon from affected areas, rather than on the whims of a maniacal leader (they would also probably be named something different because aether has a specific meaning in game).

@Stryke/Finchwidget: New character, or how did Aaron manage to escape?

Should I post a list of extant factions and there goals in a later post?

Maybe I could just say, "From a far-off land."
Because for there to be alolan forms, there had to be an Alola for them to adapt to in the first place.
Alola has always existed, but it's very isolated, imported items like Gateu and Casteliacones and Lava cookies being very limited, and certain trainers bragging about their "imported pokemon."
Maybe, like, they've shut down seaports and such due to the shadow or something. Maybe they weren't affected, being so focused on their Ultra-Wormhole studies to focus on the dark portals or whatever.
I don't know. Whatever floats your Gogoat, oh mighty GM.
EDIT: I mean, all regions have existed forever. But maybe they were destroyed by the Shadow.
Lysandre and Ghetsis must've gotten their grubby mitts on some dimensional tech in this alternate-universe.
I don't know, I'm better at planning out large stories than roleplays.
And even then that's not sayin' much, yo.
Unova and Kalos destroyed by sha-dow.

I'm using the alolan forms because they fill a gap in the setting surprisingly well. In this setting Dark types are either from the Shadow world or are changed, "tainted", pokemon that were from this world. The example I used earlier was that some growlithe were tainted and became houndour, so the A. Rattata are tainted forms of regular Rattata.

:I
Well, can I have a dark type then? Ideally I'd want an Incineroar, but since those don't exist... how about a Drapion?
I'm planning on being a dark character, likely either a Team Skull thug or a very dapper Maxwell-like character (without accompanying powers, of course.)

Does the ability to command weaker tainted pokemon sound good to you? That, combined with a Drapion, is a powerful start. (Application is in the first post)

Sounds good.
So, do I apply now, or...?
EDIT: i can see me being an anti hero or something along those lines.
"I hate you all so much but the Shadow wants this book, and jn case you didn't know, fighting fire with fire doesn't work in this case."
Maybe it'll let me do the whole "codex umbra mind split" thing too.
dat'd be coo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom