• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sojaveña Wilds Silver Ravine Mystery Dungeon

But then... if you dislike a truth of the world, would you fight to change it?

"If someone is doing something thats hurting innocent people I would try to stop them, no matter what. But not liking the world or just being mad because something isn't perfect enough then thats wrong," Koa said stiffly.

Leaf's point about Victini caught his attention and he glanced at her curiously. An offworlder Saint? He shook the thought aside. He didn't get the impression anyone from their group was the sort to be interested in trying something like that...

"I stand by what I said before. Strength will always exist. Its a responsibility, and you should use it to do good. To help." He paused, trying to gather his thoughts for what he wanted to say next. Maybe everyone on the team wouldn't agree but...

"I don't think not being from here means I don't have the same responsibility to help. To stop Cipher or mon like Ignatius. Thats not wrong. Testing offworlders is good, but why not help too? I mean, you could always help us fight, right? Or help the people here sometimes. We don't have to be enemies." He stopped, realizing he probably was on the verge of a ramble.

“Offworlders defy will of nature And yet, in the end, their strength is a natural rule of this world, even if they themselves are not.”
For a brief instant, Nova matched Zapdos' sharp expression with one of his own.

"That doesn't mean it has to be accepted as an immutable truth," he said. "Yeah, limits exist. And where there are limits, there are people who challenge them. It's a give and take. Limits get broken. New ones get found. And then those get tested and the cycle repeats."

His feathers bristled. "I know what an unbreakable rule really looks like. And if this world has one... no amount of strength — from Saints or natives or offworlders or some combination — could save it. The best anyone could hope to do is put a bandage on things."

He looked down. "I don't think this world's like that. It just... needs the strength it has turned in a different direction."

Roaming Cyclone said:
Zapdos shrugged his pointed wings. “It’s ancient history, but that’s the tale as I’ve heard it—the strongest offworlder for the strongest crisis. And I’ve never heard of another offworlder becoming a saint.”

...huh. Did Kotetsu know this? Did his lord know this? (Did it matter? Most likely it shouldn't've mattered. Strength was strength, wherever it came from; a legendary was a legendary, or saint, or whatever. Heckuva weird coincidence if it was true, though...)

Anyway. Absolutely bizarre to see the Cyclone agitated in a way that wasn't just 'I need to get my wiggles out by punting someone into the sunset'. Maybe that was just what happened when you had a problem that was resolutely un-puntable. Leaf couldn't pretend she didn't know the frustration. But...

"I'm here because somebody here asked me to be. For whatever reason that means I get to be a badass magic unicorn now, and that's cool as hell and all, but I still get to pick what I do with that strength. I'm choosing to help. Even if you don't wanna choose that..." Leaf shot Koa an apologetic look. "I dunno. Still sounds to me like you care more about who has power and why than you keep saying you do. Still sounds like you want to be doing something.

"You keep choosing to fight offworlders to 'teach them a lesson', and then that's it. They just go off and do whatever they said they were gonna do, or what they said they weren't, whichever. Doesn't change, in the end. Obviously you're strong enough to deal with 'em. Most of 'em, at least." Couldn't help but smile a little there. "Maybe if the Stormbringer could've worked something out with the farmers—or maybe if the new one eventually can—maybe you can choose to use your strength to change something, too."

She had to screw her eyes shut for a second as lightning cut the sky again, even brighter than before as the night got darker. Probably meant it was time to head back soon.

"Look, uh, about the Stormbringer's relic. Someone's searching for them. A grovyle, some other offworlder pokémon. Not because he wants to be some specific saint—" didn't seem that way, at least, he better friggin' not be "—but for some... other reason. I dunno. Probably boils down to thinking he or his buddies should be making decisions for everyone else." She scowled, lashing the air with her tail. "Point is, if he has to be evasive about it chances are it's not great, yeah? If you know where it is, just... make sure somebody who's trying for real is the one who finds it."

Whatever that meant.

Last edited:
"But what happens when groups fail to agree on how to use that strength? Something mortals are famously good at," he added with a laugh. "Or would you say there exists such a thing as unbreakable bonds?"

"We argue about it and try to come to a compromise?" Ridley said, nonplussed. "Admittedly the people here are way more casually violent than they are in my world, but there's got to be a point where everyone recognises that dick-measuring contests won't actually solve anything and we all need to actually discuss the problem, right?"

He said, "Violence is - or at least, it should be - the last resort. It's the failure state. If you need to solve your problems with force, it's because you fucked up all the alternatives so badly that it's the only one remaining to you. And it's the last resort specifically because it's a shitty solution which creates new problems and causes damage in the process."

Ridley was certain that held true even in this world. If Powehi were to be believed, offworlders damaged this world merely by existing in it. They weren't something to be summoned casually; they were a crisis response, a sign that the situation was so fucked-up that there was very little which could make it worse.

He locked eyes with Zapdos. "So, back to my question. What do you make of offworlders and their strength? I don't really believe you have such a detached opinion on this truth. After all... how can your strength amount to anything if someone like me can come along and turn it aside?"
Zapdos stared back, his eyes sharp. “When I clash with offworlders, it’s with the aim of reminding them that their strength has limits. And that no matter their talk of grand ideals, in the end, it’s that very strength that lets them fight for change.”

"Seriously, this is the point I'm trying to make," Ridley snapped. "Your strength didn't do shit. My strength doesn't do shit. I helped fight Articuno, and none of us could have beaten them alone. Unless Zapdos is claiming he's significantly weaker than they are, then the same goes for him. What won those fights wasn't strength, it was teamwork."

He dropped Articuno's name in there intentionally, halfway hoping that Zapdos would rise to the bait and mention something further about them.

"Violence is - or at least, it should be - the last resort. It's the failure state. If you need to solve your problems with force, it's because you fucked up all the alternatives so badly that it's the only one remaining to you. And it's the last resort specifically because it's a shitty solution which creates new problems and causes damage in the process."

"Last resort," Zapdos repeated, letting out a crooning laugh. "So you expect to overcome your enemies with words? With systems? Or is it simply by teaming up to use combined strength for as long as that agreement lasts?"

Lightning flashed, and the giant avian leaped up onto an overhanging ledge before the thunder sounded.

"If you've met Articuno, then you know that they're the sort of pretentious, self-important airhead who puts their faith in invisible rules and systems that convince mon that they can't use their own strength to fight for what's theirs," Zapdos said, his words dripping with obvious disgust. "As if the right to live where and how they please were something that words on a scrap of paper could just take away."

"I don't think not being from here means I don't have the same responsibility to help. To stop Cipher or mon like Ignatius. Thats not wrong. Testing offworlders is good, but why not help too? I mean, you could always help us fight, right? Or help the people here sometimes. We don't have to be enemies."

Zapdos gave Koa a sideways glance. He was silent for several seconds, but then replied, "Use your own strength however you wish; that is your right. We'll see where that leads." So then, he wasn't opposed to Koa making that choice, but it wasn't a choice he was willing to make himself. But then, last time he'd said that it would lead to nothing more than being bled dry. This time, he sounded as though he genuinely wanted to see where that choice of Koa's would lead.

"That doesn't mean it has to be accepted as an immutable truth. Yeah, limits exist. And where there are limits, there are people who challenge them. It's a give and take. Limits get broken. New ones get found. And then those get tested and the cycle repeats."

Zapdos chuckled. "The cycle you describe is not unlike the cycle of nature itself. Well then... your group is rather unusual as offworlders go--maybe you'll be the ones to challenge that truth."

"Maybe if the Stormbringer could've worked something out with the farmers—or maybe if the new one eventually can—maybe you can choose to use your strength to change something, too."
The Cyclone tossed his head. "That might be so." Despite the dismissive gesture, something about his tone seemed like he might have taken it to heart more than he let on.

The warning about the Grovyle drew a smirk. "This offworlder would have to overcome the Stormbringer's own might," Zapdos said, no doubt referring to the divine dungeon. "If that isn't enough, he'll have to face my might as well." Message received.

The echoed rumbling of the thunderhead had grown more distant. The Cyclone craned his neck upward and said, "The storm is moving, and so must I."

Last edited:
Nova nodded. "Then stormy skies," he said, in a twist on the Escarpa's usual greeting. "I'm sure our paths will cross again soon enough."

The corner of Zapdos's beak curled upward. "Stormy skies."

With a deep crouch and a flying leap, the Roaming Cyclone sprung into the air and sprinted straight up the sheer incline of the ravine, disappearing over the cliff's edge. The flashes of lighting grew ever more distant as the storm moved on with what could have been supernatural pace, as if it had somewhere to be. Until finally, there was nothing left but a starkly clear evening sky overhead.

<><><>​

Back
Top Bottom