• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Starter For Black/White 2?

Actually, I don't think Serperior is that bad. I was probably just lucky, but my Serperior beat Skyla's gym by itself.
Really, just about anything works ingame, though (albeit that's starting to fly less often). As far as starters go, Serperior is pretty bottom-of-the-barrel. 95 defenses are acceptable, not exceptional bulk, and 75 offenses are just pitiful, leaving Speed as Serperior's only actually good stat. I hadn't actually realised Venusaur, Meganium, and Torterra (but not Sceptile) have a lower BST (by a mere 3 points), but only Meganium is worse, really, out of the grass starters. Samurott is a worse Feraligatr, and Emboar's probably the worst starter period.

Really, just about anything works ingame, though (albeit that's starting to fly less often). As far as starters go, Serperior is pretty bottom-of-the-barrel. 95 defenses are acceptable, not exceptional bulk, and 75 offenses are just pitiful, leaving Speed as Serperior's only actually good stat. I hadn't actually realised Venusaur, Meganium, and Torterra (but not Sceptile) have a lower BST (by a mere 3 points), but only Meganium is worse, really, out of the grass starters. Samurott is a worse Feraligatr, and Emboar's probably the worst starter period.

Emboar is not a bad Pokémon, just outclassed. It's better than a lot of the Grass starters (if Venusaur didn't have Chlorophyll it would be very pedestrian), and at least it doesn't have to compete with Moltres and Ho-Oh for a team spot like Charizard.

And Skyla sucks, her best Pokémon is Swanna which is already pretty mediocre.

Last edited:
Emboar is not a bad Pokémon, just outclassed. It's better than a lot of the Grass starters (if Venusaur didn't have Chlorophyll it would be very pedestrian), and at least it doesn't have to compete with Moltres and Ho-Oh for a team spot like Charizard.

It's better than Meganium, possibly. I can't consider it better than any of the others. Maybe Torterra, and definitely not Venusaur or Sceptile. Of course Venusaur wouldn't be as good as it is without Chlorophyll -- but it does, so it's good as it is. Really, when comparing starters, it's a matter of who-does-what-best. Charizard gets Belly Drum (admittedly not what it used to be), Typhlosion gets Eruption, Blaziken gets Speed Boost, Infernape gets an awesome movepool and spread. Emboar gets Scald, I guess? Serperior's stats exude Meganium, with a few points of everything traded for Sceptile-like Speed. Because of that, Serperior makes a better Subseeder than Meganium. Sceptile was a Pokémon that really got the short end of the stick after the physical/special split, though. Awesome physical movepool, but SpA's the better attacking stat. I really hope they reassess some spreads for gen VI, but that seems unlikely as always.

It's better than Meganium, possibly. I can't consider it better than any of the others. Maybe Torterra, and definitely not Venusaur or Sceptile. Of course Venusaur wouldn't be as good as it is without Chlorophyll -- but it does, so it's good as it is. Really, when comparing starters, it's a matter of who-does-what-best. Charizard gets Belly Drum (admittedly not what it used to be), Typhlosion gets Eruption, Blaziken gets Speed Boost, Infernape gets an awesome movepool and spread. Emboar gets Scald, I guess? Serperior's stats exude Meganium, with a few points of everything traded for Sceptile-like Speed. Because of that, Serperior makes a better Subseeder than Meganium. Sceptile was a Pokémon that really got the short end of the stick after the physical/special split, though. Awesome physical movepool, but SpA's the better attacking stat. I really hope they reassess some spreads for gen VI, but that seems unlikely as always.

Bellyzard is very hard to use with Stealth Rock in play. Typhlosion has Eruption and... Eruption. It's very powerful, but not dependable. It's like saying Archeops is better than Staraptor without taking Defeatist into account (I personally thing Staraptor is overrated, but still...). Emboar's only real flaw is its speed. It might not be the best Fire-type starter, but when it comes to being the worst, it has fierce competition.

And Meganium is better at defense than Serperior.

Bellyzard is very hard to use with Stealth Rock in play. Typhlosion has Eruption and... Eruption. It's very powerful, but not dependable. It's like saying Archeops is better than Staraptor without taking Defeatist into account (I personally thing Staraptor is overrated, but still...). Emboar's only real flaw is its speed. It might not be the best Fire-type starter, but when it comes to being the worst, it has fierce competition.

And Meganium is better at defense than Serperior.
You have to consider very few starters are seen in standard play. These days, it's basically only Venusaur and Infernape since Swampert and Empoleon were demoted. I'm not saying Typhlosion and Charizard are better than Emboar by much, but as far as Fire/Fightings go, Blaziken and Infernape are leaps and bounds better. For an attacker, having a Speed flaw is a fatal flaw without significant Trick Room support. Charizard still gets the edge over Emboar (I think) because Solar Power is an instant attack boost, and scarf Eruption is really quite potent.

Not sure. I used Oshawott last time, and she was AMAZING. I might transfer a Sneasel egg over from B/W, if that's possible - I love Sneasel!

Oshawott. I never pick the Water type, but Oshy's pretty awesome and I didn't pick him in White, so.
As for a non-starter that will end up in my team, probably Lucario or Blaziken. Also Braviary.

Oshawott. I don't really like water-types so picking one as my starter means I have a default Surfer. Although I suppose this is B/W where that doesn't matter as much... but still!

I'm picking Tepig this time, since I got Oshawott in original Black. Tepig was my original choice for the first games, but I didn't like Emboar and ended up liking Samurott best. Emboar has grown on me since then, so....

Still not really a huge fan of the Snivy line!

Back
Top Bottom