• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sword and Shield Choice Pokéresistance

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any

Gym Challenge season! The most exciting time of the year has come to Galar, and the whole region is turning out in force to see the spectacle. Pokémon and people alike flock to Galar's stadiums to watch the latest crop of challengers wage wild battles against gym leaders, testing whether they're strong enough to face the unbeatable Leon for the coveted title of Champion. And what a promising batch of trainers this latest season has produced! Everyone's got their eye on Bede and his team of Psychic-types, endorsed by the illustrious Chairman Rose. Rumor has it that the determined Hop is the younger brother of the Champion himself, so he's got to be worth watching! And there's plenty of buzz surrounding two relative unknowns from Postwick, Victor and Gloria, who've been sweeping through the gym circuit and look to be serious contenders for Leon's crown. Who knows which other up-and-comers might turn out to be Galar's brightest?

One of the most talked-about challengers this year, however, is young Marnie from the run-down town of Spikemuth. The chatter's less about her skill as a trainer—which, to her credit, she has in spades—and more about the unsavory characters that seem to be dogging her every step... or, rather, the steps of every other competitor in this year's challenge. Every trainer has their fans, and some fans are more vocal than others, but these "Team Yell" ruffians who claim to be Marnie's biggest supporters are quickly making a name for themselves as outright nuisances. They've been blocking the routes to stadium cities, jumping trainers with battles that wear down their teams before big matches, and otherwise engaging in various unsporting acts of gym challenge hooliganism. Marnie has made it clear that she wants a fair challenge and doesn't approve of Team Yell's behavior, but so far these troublemakers and their Pokémon remain dead-set on clearing all the other competitors out of her way.

The championship hopefuls are doing their best not to be put off by Team Yell's antics, and today a group of trainers and their Pokémon have gathered in the dusty digging town of Stow-on-Side to prepare for their upcoming matches with Gym Leader Bea. They know that there can only be one winner by the end of the journey, but for now these friendly rivals train together and support one another through their difficult battles. Only so many trainers can undertake a given gym mission at a time, so at the moment we find the group chatting and mock-arguing as they sort out who'll be the first to step onto the gym's gargantuan pinball table.

Two of the trainers compare strategies for dealing with the powerful Fighting-types waiting for them inside. Two more tease one another about who'll come out of the gym mission the dizziest. The last two smile and nod along with the rest, but every so often share knowing glances with one another and with their Pokémon. Oh, this lot'll be plenty dizzy, all right. In fact, they might well get spun right out of the gym, if Team Yell has anything to say about it...

--​

A brief reminder of the rules and game structure:

• There are four Challengers and two Team Yell members. Team Yell cannot communicate outside of the game thread.
  • Team Proposal Phases last for four days, during which all players discuss who should be chosen for the upcoming mission. The Mission Leader (starting with the first player in the randomly-determined list below, then moving down and cycling back to the top if necessary) must propose a mission team during this phase. They can change their proposal if needed by posting another team in-thread. The number of players required for the mission team will be given at the start of each Team Proposal Phase.
  • At the end of the Team Proposal Phase, the Mission Phase begins and the game thread is closed. Mission Phases last for three days. All players PM the moderator with one or two votes, depending on whether they were on the final proposed mission team:
    • All players vote to approve or reject the final proposed mission team with Accept or Reject.
    • If and only if a player is on the final proposed mission team, they vote to succeed at or sabotage the mission itself with Succeed or Fail.
    • Challengers MUST choose Succeed. Team Yell may choose either Succeed or Fail as they see fit.
    • Missing mission votes will be assumed to be Succeed for Challengers and Fail for Team Yell members.
  • At the end of the Mission Phase, the moderator reopens the thread with a summary of the phase results. Votes for the mission team (Accept/Reject) are posted alongside the names of the players who made those votes. Players who did note vote on the proposal will be noted as such and the vote will proceed as if they were not playing for that round.
  • If the team was rejected (more votes for Reject or a tied vote), the mission results will NOT be posted and a new Team Proposal Phase begins with the next Mission Leader on the list.
    • If five Team Proposal Phases in a row end with rejected teams, Team Yell wins the game.
  • If the team was accepted (more votes for Accept), the mission results (Succeed/Fail) will also be posted alongside the team vote results. All mission result votes are anonymous. If all votes are for Succeed, the Challengers win the round. If at least one vote is for Fail, Team Yell wins the round. Either way, a new Team Proposal Phase begins with the next Mission Leader on the list.
  • There are five rounds. Whichever team is first to win three rounds wins the game.

PM me with questions or if I forgot something!

--

Mission Leader List:
Keldeo
Butterfree
Stryke
qva
Panini
Chemist1422​

Last edited:
Re: Sword and Shield Choice Pokéresistance

All role PMs have been sent, and the thread is now open for discussion! Let me know if you didn't receive yours or if you have any questions.

--

Team Proposal Phase 1 begins now, and will end at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5) on Saturday, December 7th.

Mission 1 requires two team members to proceed. The current Mission Leader, Keldeo, must provide a final list of two player names by the phase deadline.

Good luck!

first but also last

very cool

Hey everyone! I'm excited to play with all of you!

I've never played this game before, but one idea that I found when I was looking up the rules was to use a team that has succeeded in the past, or add one person to a team that's succeeded if the mission needs more people. Then, if the added person is a Team Yell member, they would have to out themself in order to fail the mission (if the mission fails, it might be that some Team Yell member was able to "infiltrate" the team earlier while succeeding the mission to pretend to be the Resistance, but we don't know). It feels kind of boring to be so procedural, though, does anyone have any other ideas?

In general, it seems like a key strategy is to figure out some way to get hard information, because there aren't alignment flips like in mafia. So I'm leaning toward sending myself and one other person. Then, if the mission fails, one of the team is confirmed a spy from everyone else's view - I'll know the other person is a spy. If the mission succeeds, then I know I can trust the other person for now.

On the other hand, I could send two other people, but from a selfish point of view, if the mission fails then I don't get that hard information. It also makes it possible for both mission members to be Team Yell; I'm not sure whether or not that's a good thing.

I think I’m going to play this like secret hitler because it looks pretty similar

yayyy resistance!

keldeo, my experience is that even if you pick a spy on round one, they often choose succeed anyway, just because it would be so obvious otherwise. not that it'll definitely go that way this game, of course, but it's something to keep in mind.

i'm down for you placing yourself on the first mission. makes sense to me. the other guy's going to have to be pretty much random at this point, right?

kratos, if a mission fails, do we get to see how many fail votes there were?

kratos, if a mission fails, do we get to see how many fail votes there were?

The results posts will always show how many people voted for each outcome, yes.

Okay, for now I'm going to propose a team of Keldeo and qva, who's in the middle of the leader list, so it's a couple more missions until she would come up again?

Chemist, what do you mean by playing this like Secret Hitler? What do you have in mind?

Testing everyone before we repeat anything, then repeating people who aren’t in conflict

As we're in the last 12 hours of this phase and half of the players have yet to post, I'm going to grant a 24-hour extension to give people a chance to get caught up. (An additional extension will be granted if needed.) As I'm not currently in TCoD's chats and can't really contact most folks outside of PMs, would someone who is mind giving folks a quick prod for me, just to make sure everyone's aware the game has started?

(EDIT: Also, Keldeo, Eifie asked me to ask you to click the "Join Game" button back in the sign-up thread so I can add the player list to the game? :D It'd probably be helpful to have the phase reminders for everyone as well, granted that the phase names would be off.)

Last edited:

Oh, hey! Sorry, I forgot the game had started.

I think Keldeo's team proposal is probably reasonable for this first round. We have no real information to go on yet, so the choice is effectively random.

Okay, cool!

Testing everyone before we repeat anything, then repeating people who aren’t in conflict

Do we have enough missions to test everyone?

I think that's solid, although conflict is a bit less clean-cut than Secret Hitler here, since a Spy can pretend to be Resistance by succeeding a mission. It's not like Secret Hitler with private alignment inspections.

(EDIT: Also, Keldeo, Eifie asked me to ask you to click the "Join Game" button back in the sign-up thread so I can add the player list to the game? :D It'd probably be helpful to have the phase reminders for everyone as well, granted that the phase names would be off.)

Oh, that's a good idea! But it looks like there's no button for me to join it, probably since I started the thread. ^^" What should I do?

Hey everyone! Sorry for the late turn up, I've been kind of hamstrung by work lately and kind of forgot this was a thing but I'm here now~

I've never played resistance before, but I have played Secret Hitler once. Keldeo's plan seems fine conceptually, since it should be as good a team as any to start with but I'm a bit leery about how easy it would be to get away with building an early relationship (whether it be positive or negative) between spy partners on the off chance one of them randed the first team leader.

Would you mind changing the second slot to someone random other than qva (sorry qva, nothing personal!) just for reassurance that you really aren't picking the second slot based off anything? If you don't want to then that's fine and I'm not going to reject the team or anything, but it would help my peace of mind that you don't have an agenda if you're willing.

Sure, I'll change the team to Keldeo and Panini.

I don't think that Panini would say this if she and qva were the Spies. I'm a little worried that if she's a Spy and her partner is not qva, she wants to increase the chances of getting a Spy on the team, by saying this. But I think it might be more likely that she's just a healthily paranoid Resistance member.

I'm not sure I understand Panini's logic here; why would a Team Yell leader specifically choose to bring their own partner along for the first mission? Like, what would they get out of it? If they want to fail a mission, they only need one person to do it, and it's not as if having both of them on a mission will let them communicate or anything, right? What do you mean by "building an early relationship (whether it be positive or negative)"? Am I misunderstanding the rules here?

I think what she might have been getting at was like, if both are Team Yell, and they both Succeed the mission, they have the ability to call the other "likely Resistance" for the rest of the game?

I'm not sure why you'd want to build a negative relationship. It's dangerous to fail the mission, because if they both fail, the exact team is revealed.

idk. Panini, could you clarify?

I think what she might have been getting at was like, if both are Team Yell, and they both Succeed the mission, they have the ability to call the other "likely Resistance" for the rest of the game?

Yeah, which is why I wanna test everyone before repeating people

Because we just win if this happens, and get solid info if not

I'm not sure why you'd want to build a negative relationship. It's dangerous to fail the mission, because if they both fail, the exact team is revealed.

idk. Panini, could you clarify?

Yeah that was basically the Succeed outcome thought. My thought as far as negative relationship was if they only need 1 fail that they could distance from each other by throwing that out, but I forgot that this isn't like mafia in that Team Yell can't communicate out of thread so you're probably right that it'd be much riskier.

Team Proposal Phase 1 has ended. Mission Phase 1 begins now, and will end at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5) on Wednesday, December 11th.

Mission Leader Keldeo's proposed team for Mission 1 is Keldeo and Panini.

All players, please send me a PM containing either "Accept" or "Reject" by the phase deadline.

Keldeo and Panini, also include either "Succeed" or "Fail" in your PMs to me.

There are currently 12 hours left in the current voting phase. I did notice that there was some kind of issue with the forums on Monday that was preventing me from sending PMs and visitor messages, which I assume also affected other people. As there are still votes I have not yet received, I am extending this phase by another 24 hours. If you previously tried sending me your vote sometime on Monday and aren't sure it went through, please resend it to me just in case. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom