• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Tell me some good musics

My recommendations;

InnerPartySystem
Marilyn Manson
Biffy Clyro
Weezer
Kings of Leon
Kaiser Chiefs
30 Seconds to Mars
Mumford & Sons
Pendulum
Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show
Meat Loaf
Cancer Bats
Rolo Tomassi
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Primus
Scatman John
Billy Joel
Rilo Kiley
Rammestein
Fair to Midland
Beirut
The Frames
Cobra Starship
Slipknot
Seasick Steve
People In Planes
And So I Watch You From Afar
Fox Avenue

I fully endorse Coheed & Cambria, God Is An Astronaut, and Animal Collective.

random bullshit recommendations probably not based on anything:
The Protomen (because they are good)
Anamanaguchi
Bad Religion (because most Green Day sucks unless you're exclusively listening to old stuff)

No bands in particular, but have you heard of Pandora Radio?

You put in a few things that you like, and it plays other music based on that, which you can thumbs up, so it will play it again and add the traits of that song to its list for that station; or thumbs down so that it won't play that song again. If you thumbs down three from the same band, it will stop playing it entirely unless you like some of their other music.

You can also keep multiple stations (I think up to one hundred?), so you can separate your music if you like.

It isn't perfect, but it usually works pretty well for the kind of music you seem to listen to.

/advertise

Acknowledging your love/hate opinions of Katy Perry, her new sound in her latest works is even better than the best of "One of the Boys." The single "Teenage Dream" was released 2 days ago, and I have already played it 75+ times.
I think my taste in music may seem very mainstream to most people, but it's not as if I go around blindly praising every popular artist. :P They gots to be good! I can't stress enough how so many newer artists are, in my opinion, just terrible. In many cases, experience improves an artist - I absolutely hated some artists when they came out. For example, Britney Spears was someone I viewed as a terrible artist until VERY recently - "Circus" was okay, but I didn't like anything else until the release of "3."
However, many newer artists also have a few songs that appeal to me. Jason Derulo's "Watcha Say" and "In My Head" are great, but the rest of his album lacks their appeal. Taio (sp?) Cruz's "Break Your Heart" and "Dirty Picture" sound good, but again the rest of his songs seem too bland to me. Then there's Ke$ha, who has 7 songs I like at the moment - "TiK ToK", "Take It Off", "Kiss & Tell", "Party at a Rich Dude's House", "Blind", "Dancing with Tears in my Eyes", and most of all "Animal."
And regarding Kerli - her work is... Strange, to say the least. However, Walking on Air, Creepshow, and Hurt Me are amazing. Fragile is a good song too, but doesn't resemble the other three I mentioned as much as it resembles her other work.
And then the Killers... their new albums really made me sad. :( Their first had such a great sound and was full of epic music, then they put out Sam's Town and Day & Age, which I can't even listen to without thinking, "God, what a waste of money."
And I obsess over Lady Gaga quite a bit too much, to tell the truth, although I am still of the opinion that she is the ultimate in all music. If you haven't heard her unreleased songs "No Way" or "Second Time Around", you definately need to. The first is one of my favorite songs ever. :D MY best friend introduced me to Gaga, and now I am on of her biggest fans.
Musical rant, yay! :D

Not sure if this was already mentioned but: Avenged Sevenfold!!!

Last edited:
um, i like lots of music, but i'm guessing you like pop music. so with that in mind, i'll recommend my favorite pop bands, along with other famous musicians who i like:

ramones, blondie, XTC, the b-52's, squeeze, joe jackson, elvis costello, patti smith, talking heads, etc.

um.. basically punk rock and new wave. it's my favorite type of pop music, hands down, and i've had nothing but good luck when checking out new punk/new wave bands. i'm sure you'll find most of those guys great!

also, you could try david bowie, kate bush, kylie minogue, iggy pop, prince, robyn, and annie. save for bowie, pop, and kate bush, all of these guys make really great dance music. (prince leans more towards rock-infused R&B, but who cares? you can still dance hardcore to it.) robyn does a bit of rapping, though, so if that's not your thing, don't worry about her. (i still think you'd be missing out, though.) if you're not into dance music, though, just forget about most of these guys and just go for bowie, bush, and iggy pop.

I might as well do more of this while I can't sleep.

@Zim: I had already heard a couple of Blue October's songs, with Dirt Room being the only one I really liked. From your list though, I really likedShe's My Ride Home. Calling You and Libby I'm Listening were also very good.

@Watershed (this will take awhile xD):
Porcupine Tree is amazing in every way and I don't know why I've never listened to them before.
I loved Pure Reason Revolution as well.
I liked Anathema, but not quite as much as the first two. They seem a bit too...classic rockish? I might go back to them sooner or later though.
I was already somewhat familiar with Sigur Ros, but your recommendation reminded me how much I like them.
Bon Iver is pretty good, but something about them bugs me that I can't quite put my finger on.
I'm not sure what it is about God is an Astronaut, but I think they might be my favorite of your recs so far.

And URGH, now that I'm actually trying to do something, I'm suddenly tired. I'll probably get back to work tomorrow night. I really like your recommendations so far though, Watershed. :D

If you like Sleigh Bells, allow me to recommend HEALTH, they're kind of a tribal noise/electronic band in a similar vein that you may or may not have heard of. I saw them live the other day at Lollapalooza and it might have been the best show I have seen in my life - truly mind blowing.

Anyway your taste is kind of all over the place and includes a few bands I like and a lot I quite frankly hate, so it's a bit hard to say, but anyway you might like the Strokes??

Back
Top Bottom