• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

the ((finished)newest?) search for the secret link. oh boy.

Pronoun
he/him
greetings random people. (i dont know what's considered a spoiler so i'll just mask a lot of things as spoilers.)

ok so today (possibly yesterday by the time i post this) i found the cave of dragonflies for the first time. i was quite interested, played some games, then saw the secret link. the page explaining how you find clues and stuff that also gives you the first clue. not the link itself.

i immediately got hyped considering i am obsessed with args and similar stuff, but this one seemed.. different.
curious little old me, i began to search for what this actually was and found various forums. after that, myself did the whole link manipulation because i was too much of an idiot to actually search for the other clues. well, i did find clue 3 while reading clue 2 without manipulating the link.
yes yes, i know i cheated, but what could i say? i was too impatient like i almost always am. shame me all you want, i dont care.

clue 1 was eh. i dont understand what it means though. like what part of the site has something to do with crime??? im not marking this as a spoiler because, it's clue 1. the clue everyone finds. clue 2, basically only useful to find clue 3. now, clue 3 was really difficult to understand, but when i came across a certain page and found out what the meaning of 88 and 31 was, it made me think more after reading clue 5.

clue 4 and 5 i found using link manipulation. honestly, clue 5 and clue 3 when i found out what it meant were kind of the most useful. clue 5's webmaster hint kind of made me searching in the webmaster sub-section (mostly the html bit because of clue 3) but i dont know if that's the right thing to do. i've been looking for hints and other things around forums but sadly, no luck.

i know this topic is probably dead by now but...
if anyone can help me in any way shape or form, that would be great. i'll be taking a break from searching for quite some time - no more than a day - after i finish looking at some games because i've been doing this for at least 3 hours straight. no food, water, toilet, anything. so yeaa. my dumb baby brain does not have enough brain cells to do this alone. if you read all of this and/or have anything to tell me, thanks.

Last edited:
currently looking through each of the html guide lessons, will notify you if i discover something interesting/something happens.

edit: my heart literally stopped when i saw the link on https://www.dragonflycave.com/lesson3.htm
then i clicked it and it re-directed me to the main page. i have been bamboozled.

edit 2: i feel like i should be looking at the right side of the pages, where all of the clickable gif/pictures are, considering they are probably all 88x31

Last edited:
honestly you've got everything you need, the hard part is being able to tell whether or not you're overthinking it

Is this still relevant? I ask because I see two 'Secret Link' threads on the first page and it would be figuratively flogging a dead horse to add yet another one, no matter how old this discussion has become.

I shall add that I found the Secret Link within two minutes of seeing this thread and reading it. I found one clue; literally the first clue that everyone finds on the page that explains the secret link. All the other clues were explained on the page that the Secret Link leads to, so I find myself thoroughly disappointed since I was considering searching for them whether my first guess was right or wrong.

As for how I found it
I just clicked in the likeliest place for it to be, and there it was.

You can still search for the other clues even if you've seen what they are!

i know its basically useless to talk here but i have a few announcements to make with about a truck's full of spoilers. if you've found the link, you can probably read fine. if not, this will probably ruin the fun for you. please just dont read it.

last warning.

I FOUND THE LINK FINALLY OH MY GOD IM SO HAPPY. ITS BEEN LIKE 5 MONTHS IM SO HAPPY ITS OVER.
TURNS OUT I'VE BEEN LOOKING IN THE RIGHT PLACE THE WHOLE TIME JUST NOT CLICKING ON THE THING.
CLUE 3 AND 5 ARE JUST SO OBVIOUS NOW THAT I READ THEM!

okok let me go back to how this happened:

today, on christmas 2021, i was looking at my old bookmarks for no reason once all of the family interactions for the day have been used out - turns out i need to increase my social stats.

i found a forum about "The Secret Link" as one of the pages i bookmarked. then i remembered how i searched for this months ago. so i decided like the idiot baby i am: "HEY WHY NOT TORTURE MYSELF AND READ THIS WHOLE FORUM WHILE SEARCHING FOR THE LINK?????? THAT'LL BE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

it wasn't.

i'm in pain.

i looked at all of the clues again, reading them multiple times, obviously using the url manipulation because of the cheese snorting blender i am.
CHEESE IS GOOD DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT-

while reading the forum i realized that Butterfree actually put links to oldestofold.htm.
immediately i found the outdated secret link.
it started the pain train in me.

this outdated secret link wasn't much use....
other than providing me the fake secret link.
before you ask how - url manipulation.
i thought i was so smart by changing the "secret_link.htm" to "secretlink.htm". then i remembered the secret link was a bunch of gobbledigook.
anyways,
that means i technically found clue 2 legit because of this "secretlink.htm", despite me not finding that link legit. and that also means i found clue 3 legit because of clue 2.
good lord i'm weird.

onwards we go in the story! so, i started to scavenge through the main "site" pages of the Cave of Dragonflies.
then i found clue 5.
Butterfree, despite me not even knowing about this website for more than half a year, you bring me so much pain but i appreciate you for it due to it forming me into......

into....

this page of my script ends like this, what the hockey sticks am i supposed to say now?

it formed me into a cheese grater. there, be satisfied.

i then realized something.
"what if i check near the htmls on the webmaster page?"
and now we're here. i found it. and i am not proud of myself for it.
well i'm proud for trying not to cheat by looking at every forum imaginable. i even completely forgot about this forum before logging in!
i read almost nothing from the forum page i had bookmarked, too! that being
i know this all seemed very easy and fast but it really wasn't - i've left out so much information just so people can digest this and for my own sanity.

now all that's left is to find clue 4 and the fake secret link. thank you all for helping me even a tiny bit that was 5 months ago and i forgot almost everything about this secret link and stuff but, yeah. thanks. been a journey. by the way placing spoilers everywhere was terrific.

also Butterfree can you please make another one of these once again i know you made at least one more ages ago but my completionist needs need more fulfilling using your amazing hiding and website skills alr adios gamers

edit: FOUND THE FAKE SECRET LINK LEGIT JUST CLUE 4 REMAINING!
edit 2:
THE SECRET LINK IS NOT EVEN SPECIFIC TO THE WEBMASTER PAGE O H M Y G O D

</longpost>

Last edited:
edit 2:
THE SECRET LINK IS NOT EVEN SPECIFIC TO THE WEBMASTER PAGE O H M Y G O D

</longpost>

Of course not. Had it been placed so arbitrarily it would not follow the obvious logic. This would make it less appealing, while also being far harder to find and remember where it is placed once it has been found. I understand that specific clue is more about layout and colouration, than a specific page on the website.

I have yet to find any clues other than the first, which I found unnecessary, and the one lurking behind the fake clue. Clue four is apparently the hardest to find, and therefore should be the focus of the true search on the website.

Edit: On an almost entirely unrelated note, I know a cat whose pirate name should be 'Cheesebeard'. This is due to an incident involving a small pile of grated cheese, her face, and the excited kitty-eating-face-mushing noises that came from said cat as she engulfed said small pile of grated cheese.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom