• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Frontier Town The Wanderin' Zera

“N-no, don’t apologize,” he muttered at last, his smile unwavering. “Thanks for sharing your journey with me. Comparing experiences with other Trainers, both good and bad, and showing how truly we care about our partners…” He laughed lightheartedly. “Isn’t that one of the greatest treasures we could give to each other?”
Steven smiled back with an upturned eye, and nodded in agreement. It was refreshing to meet a trainer who was such a kindred spirit.

It wasn't wholly unusual-- most of the trainers he knew felt the same-- but meeting a total stranger in another time and another place who had so much in common? It filled him with hope. Not just for his world and Silver's, but this one too.

“Hm, one question,” he said slowly, somehow managing to keep his speech straight despite his jumbled thoughts. “Are you part of the… Elite Four in Hoenn?”
Steven was in the middle of placing a few coins on the bar for Silver's drink when he froze.
Now he'd gone and done it. Blabbed too much without realizing. Of course a trainer of Silver's mettle would recognize such a distinctive team of pokemon. 'What happened to keep a low profile, Stone?'

For a moment he contemplated denying it, trying to play it off as a coincidence. But there was no way that would work. The delcatty's out of the bag, now...

Slowly, Steven turned back around and faced the other trainer. "Ah, you're sharp," he said warmly. "I am indeed. In fact, I carry the highest rank of the Elite Four. I'm sure you know what that means."

Silver nodded slowly, still incredulous. “Yeah. That’s… well, that’s the kinda title most Trainers aspire for, after all…”

That situation felt so unreal! Silver had just talked with one of the most recognized Champions! Wasn’t he the guy who had a silver Metagross and who, supposedly, managed to quell the great titans of Hoenn? Granted, those rumors might have been overblown, and he knew that Dai—Steven was also extremely popular among the female population, so any way to make him sound cooler was legit.

Sure, there was no way to tell whether that Steven came from his world or not, but it was still a big deal!

However, by judging how the other Trainer reacted and took things so graciously — without bragging about being the Champion upon being recognized as such — then perhaps he wanted to be seen like a… regular Trainer. Someone who shared the same passion and love toward Pokémon. Besides, titles could be so tiring to keep, more so if paparazzi pestered the title owners at all times.

No wonder Red needed a break away from everyone after being clamored as the strongest Trainer in the entire world…

After putting things into that perspective, Silver calmed down significantly. Perhaps Steven would have appreciated being seen like a regular Trainer, without biased lenses.

“Well, it’s been a pleasure talking to you, Steven. This has been a great chat,” said Silver at last, grinning with confidence. “And! If you want to, perhaps we could have a few sparring sessions, once in a while? I’d love to learn some battle techniques from you, and it would help to be prepared for anything that might come our way.” He leaned forward, a blend of hope and eagerness shining in his eyes. “If you like the idea, of course. I never say no to a challenge!”

Last edited:
After seeing the initial stunned look on Silver's face, Steven had been bracing for the worst. Not that Silver seemed like that kind of trainer, but he'd seen plenty of sensible people flip turn when they realized who he was. (Which usually happened a lot sooner than this instance.) Yet the worst never came.

The young trainer seemed dazed for a minute, but then fixed him with his signature grin. When he spoke, it was like nothing had changed, and Steven nearly melted in relief.

“Well, it’s been a pleasure talking to you, Steven. This has been a great chat."
"Likewise," he agreed. "It was an honor to meet such an impressive trainer as yourself, especially here of all places. It's reassuring to have you as an ally in such strange, new circumstances."

“And! If you want to, perhaps we could have a few sparring sessions, once in a while? I’d love to learn some battle techniques from you, and it would help to be prepared for anything that might come our way.” He leaned forward, a blend of hope and eagerness shining in his eyes. “If you like the idea, of course. I never say no to a challenge!”
Steven chimed a good-natured laugh at Silver's enthusiasm. He hadn't thought much about battling since he arrived, but it seemed the mood was contagious.

"Sure, I'd like that," he said. "Though, I have a feeling our titles mean very little in this world. We're equals here, and I think I have as much to learn from you as you would from me."

A memory of the Night Captain's blade slicing toward Tyrfing flashed through Steven's mind. He leveled Silver with a steely gaze. "Consider your challenge accepted."

Then as soon as it appeared, his serious look disappeared, replaced with his single-eyed smile again. "I look forward to our match!"

"Likewise," he agreed. "It was an honor to meet such an impressive trainer as yourself, especially here of all places. It's reassuring to have you as an ally in such strange, new circumstances."

Silver didn’t respond verbally, limiting himself to flashing a tiny smile and nodding. Compliments still flustered him greatly, but he welcomed them with open arms.

It felt so good to feel appreciated for his talent, and that only motivated him to keep walking on the same path: the way of betterment as a person and a Trainer.

Steven chimed a good-natured laugh at Silver's enthusiasm. He hadn't thought much about battling since he arrived, but it seemed the mood was contagious.

"Sure, I'd like that," he said. "Though, I have a feeling our titles mean very little in this world. We're equals here, and I think I have as much to learn from you as you would from me."

A memory of the Night Captain's blade slicing toward Tyrfing flashed through Steven's mind. He leveled Silver with a steely gaze. "Consider your challenge accepted."

Silver laughed aloud and shot a defiant stare, his smirk widening. He could already feel the adrenaline pumping and his claws tingling, itching for a showdown between skilled Trainers.

“Ah, good! That’s the right spirit!” he exclaimed, before pointing his claw at Steven. “Don’t expect me to pull any punches! I’m gonna show you what I’m capable of, and I’d like you to do the same!”

Then as soon as it appeared, his serious look disappeared, replaced with his single-eyed smile again. "I look forward to our match!"

And the adrenaline burst waned as quickly as it surged, making Silver relax. The now-Sneasel smiled back, but there was still the faint hint of burning confidence and excitement in his eyes.

“Same! It’ll probably have to be in a few days since I’m busy with my current job, but I’ll let you know when we can arrange the meeting.” He glanced at a nearby clock and frowned. “Speaking of it, I gotta go now. I don’t wanna be late for my shift.”

When the bartender brought the tea, Silver swiped the glass and poured the content in a little canteen he brought with him. Then, he flashed a relaxed grin at the older Trainer and waved his paw politely.

“Well! Until next time, Steven! See ya around!”

The two Trainers traded one last nod, before Silver bolted toward the door, his feet as light as his feathers. He couldn’t help but grin on the way out, and that same expression didn’t fade when he hit the road, either. That was going to be an epic match, and he was going to be ready for then!

<><><>​

Ch01: Late for a very important date (Steven and Odette)
Having tipped his head at Silver in farewell, Steven turned back to the bar to address any unpaid drinks, but as he turned he spotted something out of the corner of his eye. A poochyena. A rather drunk poochyena, headed out of the saloon’s doors.

"Dave?” he said aloud, but not loud enough for the poochyena to notice. Then a realization dawned, and Steven chimed in alarm. “Wait, has he been here the whole time?!”

Steven fished out more than enough coins from his pouch and tossed them on the bar before darting for the exit. He was too slow, however, and by the time he reached the swinging doors, there was no poochyena to be found.

Dejectedly, he hovered near the entrance until he noticed a table off to the side from the direction his target had stumbled. Seated there was a mawile with her own drink, an empty seat beside her and glass to match. Steven decided to take a chance, and floated up to the table.

"Excuse me, I couldn’t help but notice. Were you recently sitting with a poochyena, and was their name Dave, by any chance?"

Odette perked up at the new voice. She wasn’t sure what she was expecting, but a beldum wasn’t it. How did they even talk without a mouth?

No matter. She nodded. “Yeah, it was,” she said. “He’s a little sloshed right now,” she added sheepishly, scratching at her neck. “So if you’re looking to settle a score, now would either be the best or worst time to do it.”

"Settle a score?" Steven blinked. "What? No, no, I just wanted to talk. Someone told me he might have some information relevant to, uh…"

He paused, regarding the mawile for a moment. If she was talking with Dave, maybe she also was with their group.

"You wouldn't happen to be an acquaintance of his would you? I'm also, uh, new in town."

Hopefully she knew what he was inferring, though he still cast a wary look around the room, just in case.

Odette regarded the beldum apologetically before a knowing look crossed her eyes. “Oh. Sorry, my bad. Let me guess,” she said quickly, “you weren’t exactly born here, were you?”

She wasn’t sure if he’d been with her little cloud group; she didn’t remember running into a beldum in the Haus so far. But she had to assume if he was looking for Dave, he most likely was.

“Yeah, I know him a little. We, uh…arrived together. I don’t know what you’re looking for with him, but perhaps I could try to help? At least until he sobers up or whatever.”

Steven shook his head. "No, definitely not born here," he said with a slight laugh.

He then eyed the seat next to the mawile. That settled it, she had to be with the rest of the group.

"To tell you the truth," he admitted, "I'm not sure what I'm looking for either. All I know is there was some information to be shared, and, well, at this rate, it seems any conversation with someone who knows Dave can be fruitful."

"Steven," he said as means of introduction. "Pleased to make your acquaintance."

Nodding in understanding, she also released a silent sigh of relief. “Got it. Then we’re alike in that regard. Still getting my bearings,” she said.

As the beldum settled into the seat next to her, she made no move to protest. More seemingly polite ‘mon from their world-hopper group was a commodity she wasn’t game to pass up.

“Odette,” she replied. Do not hold your hand out to shake, fucker, she urged herself. “I take it you…floated into town a little late, huh?”

Another sigh, this one exasperated. “I was kind of in the same boat until just recently. I’m still trying to get the big picture together, but I can catch you up to speed on what I know.” Her look hardened just a smidge, and she lowered her voice to a borderline whisper. “To start a long story, there’s some discourse right now between the big man in charge of this town and some bandits, and we’re likely about to get caught in it somehow.”

If Odette were to be looking closely, she would have seen Steven’s eye narrow the tiniest bit at her floating pun, but he couldn’t maintain a straight face any longer at her next line.

“Not again with the boat,” he said in fake exasperation, and when she gave him the oddest look, he shook his head. “Long story, sort of related to how I got here. There weren’t any boats involved.”

But he quickly sobered at her conspiratorial tone. “Discourse?” he repeated, tipping his head to the side. “With who? And bandits?”

He glanced around the room again, trying to hide the worry creeping into his voice. “I’m not sure that counts as discourse, that sounds like trouble. And how does it involve us? I thought we were supposed to try to stay out of trouble
here.”

The float thing was too far, she thought in embarrassment. She really had to stop with the jokes. Guzma’s headassery was really doing something to her sarcasm levels. She did not realize she’d double-downed on that joke with her “boat” addition until she felt her brain stall on his comeback. Dammit.

“You would think, right?” she scoffed. “It likely wasn’t supposed to involve us, but some of us were approached directly. Trying to keep it concise; there’s a gala happening soon. The mayor’s some holier-than-thou rich guy who’s trying to appeal to the wealthy with it. He’s been buying up a shit ton of land himself, and he’s looking to get his silver spoon friends to do the same, which might start fucking over the locals. Meanwhile, there’s some bandits afoot who want to throw a wrench into the affair.”

She shifted in her seat, feeling her invite brushing against the skin on her leg again. “I found out just a bit ago that the mayor enlisted some of us to protect the gala and perhaps arrest these bandits. Even went as far as to imply they were allowed to kill them, if I understood correctly,” she explained. “To further complicate things, I was among a group who the bandits contacted. Well, their leader, I presume. Real Robin Hood-type, from the sounds of it, if she wasn’t fucking with me. She wants us to help her throw the wrench.”

A sigh and she shook her head. “I’m in no position to trust either side fully, but just from what I heard, I have a strong feeling this is going to get really messy.”

Steven sat silent for a while, studying the tabletop in front of him with a serious look in his eye. "That sounds terribly messy," he said, finally.

He fell silent again, before fixing Odette with a stare and a shake of his head.

"We're strangers here, outsiders. We can't get involved in local politics or power struggles. Who's to say one side is right and the other side is wrong?"

A frown crept its way into his gaze. "I saw the new rail station going up at the edge of town. Change is coming to this place, growth is coming to this place, whether the citizens like it or not. The investors attracted here will better this town, not ruin it."

"And if the mayor doesn't have the town's best interests in mind, helping bandits to attack the gala isn't a better alternative. Sure, maybe they're telling the truth and have good intentions, but what's to stop other bandits with less scruples from trying the same thing, especially when they see that one group was able to succeed?"

He shook his head and stared hard at the table. "We were summoned here to help, but is this really our fight?"

She squinted for the slightest second. On one hand, she understood where he was coming from. Who were they to be a deciding factor on the political spectrum when they hadn’t even known the world existed? On the other, however…

“Well, we were called here for unknown reasons, were we not? How do we know this wasn’t the main one? Or, at least, a small part of the main one? You said investors will make this place better, but how do you know the mayor isn’t some crook rubbing wings with other crooks seeking to price everyone here out of their homes? Is it really better if working-class people are left homeless because they can’t afford rent?” she asked. Her expression fell. “Fuck, I mean ‘mon.

She quickly shook it off, all in time to consider his next valid point, one she hadn’t thought about before. Watching Sonora possibly pull off whatever she has planned might give other less-than-savory types to take a crack at it, too. But as she thought of that, something else dawned on her.

“I don’t…actually know what Sonora is planning to do to interrupt the gala. She wasn’t clear on that, and I didn’t have enough time to ask. All she said was that she wasn’t looking to hurt anyone. Whereas whatshisname may or may not want her dead,” she said. A shrug followed. “It’s all he-said-she-said, but one sounds better than the other. Though, if we’re talking in terms of ‘giving others ideas’…who’s to say they would even succeed without our specialties? That’s not to say we should drop everything and help the criminals, I’m just making a point.”

“You’re right, I don’t know. About the mayor, about this place, about anything. I’ve been here for about a week, give or take. Do I really have the grounds to vilify the mayor of this town on the word of some bandits? And say the bandits are right, and the mayor is corrupt, do they think they’re going to upend this town’s government with so many powerful backers?”

As Steven continued speaking, he fidgeted in his seat, one of his claws tap-tapping a steady rhythm against the wood.

“Not to mention why would someone powerful enough to call our souls here not be able to deal with this themselves? This is their world; we’re just guests here. They couldn’t possibly expect us to understand the socio-economic and political climate of this place in such a short amount of time.”

He scowled, sinking lower in his chair. “Sorry. I’m beginning to sound like my father…”

He shook his head to banish the thought, but remained silent. The only sound was the intensifying tap-tapping of his claw. He was clearly contemplating something.

“Maybe… maybe the bandits shouldn’t succeed. For their own sake. If it’s as you said, and they’re not looking to hurt anyone, but the mayor is okay with spilling blood, I fear that regardless of who is doing the right thing, it’s going to get ugly. Innocent people will get caught in the middle.”

Steven made a frustrated sound like a burst of static. Suddenly, his tapping stopped and he fixed Odette with an earnest look.

“You’re the one who’s shared all this with me. What are you planning to do?”

Odette was left staring at the counter for a while, just listening to Steven talk. It wasn’t until he prompted her that she sighed deeply.

“You know what? I’m glad I ran into you. You’re giving me more to chew on,” she said plainly. “If it helps, sorry about your dad,” she added quickly.

“I hear where you’re coming from, but I wouldn’t say them being able to summon us here equates to much. Maybe it’s all they could do. They haven’t really given us much to fucking go off of, that’s for sure, so I could just be talking out of my ass.” She was drawing circles into the bartop with her nail. “But the fact that they’ve said so little so far gives me an inkling this was no coincidence.”

Her shoulders deflated at the thought of innocent blood being spilled, even if it meant justice was served. Actually, she wasn’t keen on any blood being spilled. Nobody needed to die over this; someone just needed to be knocked down a notch. But really, if anyone deserved death, it was Mayor Birdshit for even bringing it up. She knew this was the Old West or whatever, but come on.

Suppressing a wince at her own Wrath, she finally met Steven’s singular gaze. “I don’t know who to trust. I’m not keen on blindly offering it to whoever. You get a pass because you seem to have a good head on your…form, and I just need to get this out,” she said.

“My gut has definitely gotten me into trouble before,” she admitted. “But I don’t think it’s ever been entirely wrong. And right now, even without all the information I want, it’s telling me to help Sonora, because Ignonsense is bad news. If only to keep her from getting herself and her crew killed. Because as of this moment, I don’t think they deserve it. We’ll see how I feel after the gala,” she added with a dubious yet slightly sarcastic edge.

“My dad? Oh, no. It’s fine,” said Steven, looking slightly sheepish that he’d said what he said aloud, and to a complete stranger no less. “There’s more important things to worry about, coincidence or not.”

He listened to Odette’s gut feeling, and while he couldn’t necessarily agree, he nodded along. “I don’t want to see anyone be killed either. Although, wait…”

Leaning in, he lowered his voice. “Did you say you were going to the gala? This might sound crazy, but… What if I came with you? I have some experience with formal events like this, and if there’s any way to stop this from getting messier than it already is, it’s going to be from inside.”

“I am, yes,” she said in an equally low voice, also leaning toward him. “And I agree. I’m a little experienced in this kind of thing myself, but it certainly would not hurt to have another who’s aware.” The only other person she might have had in mind was Bellatrix, but she was off doing her own thing. Andre also seemed like the type who could mingle, but gods only knew where he was.

There, she fished out the invite to show him, being sure to keep it close to her skirt just in case she needed to hide it quickly again. “Thing is, I only have one invite. And apparently, there’s an inventory on them, and some were stolen. So Mayor Man is pissed.”

She pursed her lips. “What are the odds they’d do a two-for-one?” she suggested. “Like, you come as my date?”

Suddenly, she flushed, and she raised a defensive hand. “I mean,” she said frantically, “that’s not me asking you out. I’m purely asking in terms of like, an espionage case. You’d be a partner.”

That still sounded bad.

“Wait, not a partner partner, but more of a, ‘we’re here to do this thing’ partner. You know, like cops. But we’re not cops, we’re just trying to act like we’re on a date to get past the front door so we can—“

The heat in her cheeks was unbearable now. Her face twisted into a look of sheer embarrassment as she moved her hand to caress her forehead. Her glasses had started to fog up, but she decided if she didn’t acknowledge it, Steven wouldn’t either.

“I’m gonna shut the fuck up now.”

"What? N-no, not a date!" he said a bit too quickly. Why was she getting so flustered? It was making him flustered. "Or cops."

Steven took a moment to compose himself, breaking eye contact with Odette with a muted chime that sounded vaguely like a cough. "A plus one, let's call it that."

Hopefully that was a good enough arrangement to get the conversation back on track. He gave a clipped hum, almost like an exhale.

"We're short on time, so this plan is probably our best bet to both get into that gala. But I should probably get going. I'll need to procure something appropriate to wear to the event." With a grimace he glanced down at his current attire, just a simple worn leather pouch.

He then dipped into a small bow. "Thank you for your help, Odette," he said, "and your trust. I don't know what's going to happen, but if things turn ugly, I'll do my best to make sure nothing happens to you."

“A plus one, let’s,” she echoed in a short breath. Slowly, the condensation faded off of her glasses, and she was left rubbing her forehead as if trying to coax her own stupidity out of it.

“Yeah, I’ll need to get something presentable myself. I look too much like a showgirl, not enough like an elite,” she jeered. She could probably spare the funds to swing a less revealing and more ornate gown.

Odette watched Steven hover off of the seat, and she returned his bow with a nod. “Likewise. Steel types stick together,” she said with a half-smirk. She never thought those would be a set of words she’d ever utter, considering her vehement disdain toward the type in a battle setting. But it definitely applied here.

<><><><><><><><><><>​

Back
Top Bottom