• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Website Pet Hates

Well, what everyone else said. Though some things are understandable. For example, most people who use Freewebs don't know how to create their own layout, but premade layouts, they can join anyway. That includes me.

I hate the sites that are dedicated to stuff like Harry Potter, Pokémon, Sonic, etc., but have no helpful advice at all. Just stuff about little things they'd noticed, and any advice would be about completely unrelated things like HTML or "how to raise a pet alien". (<_<;) Also, if they were to make a page just about those big internet fads like the "put this bunny in your signature to help it take over the world" stuff, UGH! And those people who only use chat speak when typing are terrible.

Some people are stupid enough to post phone numbers and pictures of themselves. Sometimes the photo is fine, but really, your phone number!? And those sites that have "online services" you need to pay to use, but you could probably find it on another site for free. It's okay when a site is free to join and has an optional "Premium Package", since that keeps it free for everyone else (for example, Neopets or Virtual Family Kingdom), but if you have to pay for it, it's just stupid.

Perhaps I'll purposely make a site people on here would hate. ("The Ho-Oh Cave 4 Anti-Sites-not-about-me-&/or-by-me, Feturing Cursers Followed by Rainbows, Earthquakes on Ech Page, A Dollmaker Service @ $9.99 a MUNTH, & My Photo & Phone # 4 the Whole World 2 See!" Now THAT would be something... xD) Should I, just for kicks?

Well, what everyone else said. Though some things are understandable. For example, most people who use Freewebs don't know how to create their own layout, but premade layouts, they can join anyway. That includes me.
It's not like learning basic web design skills are difficult or anything. o.o I had it all down when I was about 11.

Web Design is actually very easy. <_<

Regarding the 'generic site' saying, I honestly stopped caring about that a long time ago for some of my old sites, really. For some people these type of 'unique' ideas work, and for some they really don't, because much of it depends on how it is pulled off. In this and last years recent projects, yes, I probably do care enough about not looking like another reinvention of the wheel. However, in projects dating back to 2005 (who may happen to be going on, still), I don't care at all. I still receive enough traffic

Receiving traffic does not make your site good or interesting. :/

I never stated it did. I know that they do suck, but I find it pointless to have to dump it for a new "unique idea" when I've been doing it long enough to know that I have at least some sort of returning audience that still reads the crap I wrote a long time ago.

What is hard about it, exactly? o.o (Honest curiosity.)

I was a case of finding a site with tutorials and finding none of those tutorials actually worked when you followed them step by step, or were rather cryptic or already assumed you had some basic knowledge on the subject when you really didn't. Then going to look elsewhere for info and coming across the exact same problems...

I never stated it did. I know that they do suck, but I find it pointless to have to dump it for a new "unique idea" when I've been doing it long enough to know that I have at least some sort of returning audience that still reads the crap I wrote a long time ago.
Dude, what's your problem? If you're not going to work to make a site you can be proud, that you make no money off of, then what's the point? Other than "look I own a popular site, watch my e-peen grow"

Some people find their opinions on what is good or interesting more important than others'. It doesn't mean they are.

That said, it is impossible to please everyone in a target demographic. If a good amount of people like something, there is a chance another member of that demographic might like it too. However, in the end the actual content of the site is more important than some stats. Some people have to be persuaded that a site is worth looking at even before they see any of the content, however, and stats are one way of doing this. There are probably other ways, too.

I hate JavaScript alerts on your splash page.
I hate overuse of exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!! <.<
I hate small fonts.
I hate music in the background.
I hate people with invalid CSS. Valid CSS is less difficult than using an Easy-Bake Oven.
I hate Flash ads.
i hate mispelt wrods and bad grammer .
I don't like that some webmasters require a certain amount of hits for affiliation. They likely won't get many hits if they're not advertised through affiliation.

:D

What really gets on my nerves is when people ask more from their affiliates that they themselves can provide. Goddamnit, nobody's gonna want to affiliate with you if your site is significantly worse than theirs.

I second the "specific hits required for affiliation". Yes, affiliation is for more traffic, but you could be ruling out some really good sites on hits alone if you do that :|

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom