• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Languages

German: Sehnsucht, which cannot be translated into English (or pretty much any other language), but very approximately means 'yearning'.

English: flare; becoming; demure; gambolling; opulent; penumbra
Italian: colombeggiare; farfalla

oh I forgot some

German: zeppelin
Italian: cazzo

I dunno what my favourite English word is though :(

edit: NO WAIT MERCURY
I /knew/ there was something

I like the word sesquipedalophobia in English cause it sounds funny, ^^, plus it's a long word that means fear of long words.

In French I like "good candy" cause it's "bon bonbons".
In Spanish, I dunno actually.

I took two years of French but my teacher was horrible and as such I remember none of it.

That's horrible. :( I've been wanting to learn another language for a while but after the bad experiences with that teacher I just ... don't want to anymore

ON THE SUBJECT OF ENGLISH SUCKING AS A LANGUAGE: It needs a gender-neutral pronoun and then we'd be set.

"It" isn't gender-neutral; it's lack of gender. You can't talk about someone you don't know as an "it."

"Someone's at the door; can you get it for it?"

"They" qualifies but some people don't like it. And those people are the ones in charge of making style manuals. :/ And I love singular they, I love it so much!

"it" is gender-neutral (that's kind of what lack of gender is, really) but more than anything it's dehumanising to most people.

as for me, well. one simply has to assess my gender information listed on my profile or on this very post.

"It" is the neuter gender i.e. something that has no gender.
A gender-neutral pronoun implies that the person being referred to has or may have a gender but that the gender doesn't matter. There's a big difference between the two. You can't use "it" to refer to people because people have gender (at least most people identify as having gender; I'm pretty sure I phrased that wrongly though).

I speak fluently in English (like, duh!) and I know a small bit of Chinese...

Ni hao!
Wo yao lucha.

Translates to "Hello! I would like (to have?) green tea."

"It" isn't gender-neutral; it's lack of gender. You can't talk about someone you don't know as an "it."

"Someone's at the door; can you get it for it?"

"They" qualifies but some people don't like it. And those people are the ones in charge of making style manuals. :/ And I love singular they, I love it so much!

Because people who make style manuals are KINGS OF ENGLISH GRAMMAR *eyeroll*

If you don't like 'it' (which is fair enough), I don't see what's wrong with 'them' and 'they'; they don't specify a gender, but aren't 'dehumanising'. They're just pronouns of cool or something.

If you don't like 'it' (which is fair enough), I don't see what's wrong with 'them' and 'they'; they don't specify a gender, but aren't 'dehumanising'. They're just pronouns of cool or something.

I'm fairly sure I've had English teachers in the past who were like "RRRR 'THEY' IS PLURAL YOU CAN'T USE IT" and so I had to completely reword the sentence in question.

Back
Top Bottom