• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Monotype challenge

Dar

oops, did it again
Pronoun
they
Yep, I decided to revive it. I'm not that good at explaining things, but if you don't know what it is, it's where you specialze in one type of pokemon (can be dual type) and train just that. Now here are the rules:
*pulls out quote*
The Rules

Here, I'll explain the rules that pertain to all of the games in general; note that some of these rules are not set in stone, and may be subject to change.

You may use only your designated type and dualtypes that share the chosen type in battle.

If the chosen type is a type other than the one of your starter, you must use only your starter until you find a desired pokemon of your designated type; you must then ditch your starter.

If your starter or some other pokemon does not have the chosen type but gains it through evolution, you may use that pokemon. (i.e. Nincada into Ninjask or Charmander into Charizard for a Flying-mono)

HM slaves are allowed, but you may not use them in battle under any circumstances. Pickup is to be used at your own judgement; personally, I would use only one Pickup user.

You may trade for evolution, but you may not trade for pokemon not found in your game or extra TMs of any kind. You may use only the TMs found on a single cartridge.

If and when you reach an area where there are pokemon exclusive to your game's counterpart, such as Weedle in Viridian Forest in Yellow, Electabuzz in it's area in LeafGreen, but aren't found in your game, you may trade for these pokemon.
Cheat codes of any kind are not allowed, but glitches are, to a reasonable extent.
I believe that's about it. Now, onto the games themselves....

Red/Blue/Yellow

Ghost, Ice, and Dragon monotypes are not allowed due to the lack of those types.

The challenge is considered complete upon the reaching and defeat/capture of Mewtwo.

Psychic, Bug, Grass, Rock, Fighting and Electric monotypes are also discouraged for use due to a lack of variety; Mew is discouraged since it is technically not supposed to exist without an event that is long gone.

In the case of a Flying mono challenge, you are allowed EITHER Dragonite or one of the legendary birds. In their respective Fire, Electric and Ice mono-challenges, the legendary birds are allowed.

Gold/Silver/Crystal

The challenge is considered complete upon the defeat of Red/Ash.

Ghost, Dragon, Dark and Steel monotypes are not allowed due to a lack of pokemon.

In the case of a Flying mono challenge, you are allowed EITHER Dragonite or one of the legendary birds. In their respective Fire and Psychic monotypes, Ho-Oh and Lugia are allowed.

Celebi, however, is discouraged. I'm aware that it can be obtained in Crystal through the Celebi trick, but it's not supposed to be obtainable in the game apart from a very old event.

The wandering legends (Suicune, e.t.c) are allowed in their respective monotypes.

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

In Ruby/Sapphire, the game is considered complete upon the defeat of the Elite Four and the champion, and the reaching and defeat/capture of Rayquaza.

In Emerald, the game is considered complete upon the defeat of Steven. Capturing or defeating Groudon and Kyogre is also an optional goal.

Fire, Ghost and Dragon monotype challenges are not allowed due to a lack of pokemon.

In the case of a Flying monotype, you are allowed EITHER Salamence or Rayquaza.

Steel monotypes are not allowed unless you have Jirachi from the Colosseum bonus disc or something.

FireRed/LeafGreen

The challenge is considered complete upon the reaching and defeat/capture of Mewtwo and the defeat of the second wave of the Elite Four.

In the case of a flying monotype, you are allowed EITHER Dragonite or one of the legendary birds. In their respective elemental monotypes, the birds are allowed.

Pokemon caught in the Sevii Islands are allowed, and indeed necessary for some monotypes.

Steel, Ghost, Dragon and Dark monotypes are not allowed due to a lack of pokemon.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

The challenge is considered complete upon the reaching/defeat of Heatran, although obviously you may continue fight and level up your rival.

Dragon and Fire monotypes are not allowed due to lack of pokemon.

Additionally, Ghost, Steel, Rock, Electric and Dark monotypes are discouraged due to the lack of variety before the National Dex-by that time, you're near the end of the challenge, anyway.

In Platinum, due to the expanded Sinnoh dex, Steel, Electric, Dark and Ghost monotypes are allowed.

So there you have it. Oh, and I need guidelines for a B/W monotype, so if you have ideas, send them to me. Oh, and post your progress.

In Unova before National dex:
8 fire families
10 grass
8 water (minus Keldo)
7 normal
6 dark
6 psychic (minus Meloetta)
10 Flying
7 electric
5 rock
6 ground
7 steel (minus Genosect)
7 fighting (minus Keldo)
8 bug (minus Genosect)
3 poison
4 ghost
3 ice
6 dragon

Game should end when you beat both Cynthia and Morimoto.

I disagee. Challenge should end when you beat Ghetsis after catching the version mascot and beating N. Everything postgame is just secondary and not particularly plot important.

btw, is the Pokéwalker allowed? What about "Wild Cards"?

Yes, Pokéwalker is alowed. And what are "Wild Cards?" Also, Grass monotyping Platinum.

Turtwig

I'll add the rest of the details later ;P

I'm in the middle of a bug runthrough on ss, and a dark runthrough on emerald. I stopped the one on emerald because I realized I needed a flyer just when I got fly and I need skarmory because of its duel fly/cut possibilities and :|'d at the idea of going back to get it. Sigh. w/e, will do it later, in the meantime bugs!!

venomoth lv. 31, butts, lax/compoundeyes: psybeam, gust, leach life, sleep powder
ledian lv. 30, tushy, sassy/early bird: headbutt, mach punch, focus blast, silver wind
pinsir lv. 27, condom, lax/hyper cutter: brick break, revenge, dig, strength
heracross lv. 27, boobies, rash/swarm: brick break, shadow claw, aerial ace, rock tomb
beedrill lv. 28, phallus, relaxed/swarm: twineedle, poison sting, rock smash, pursuit

I am a 5 year old n_n I had a paras there as well but realized I needed a cut/surf/flyer again, so. (what will crotch do? there's no pp left for this move! tushy seems to be very happy! crotch seems to want to play with moop!)

Last edited:
Hmm... One, and only if there isn't enough of the type you chose in the version.

Not sure how much this qualifies, but I'm doing a monorandomlocke of FireRed (I can catch one randomly generated Pokemon of a certain type each route. If any faint, they get permanently boxed. Basicaly, a combination of Nuzlocke and monotype, with RNG thrown in.). I'm doing a rock type challenge, and I am currently grinding for Nugget Bridge. In case you're curious, I don't mean the rival fight or anything, I beat him already, I mean that trainer with a Mankey. Luckily, I caught a Lileep, so Misty shouldn't be TOO terrible.

Going to start a Fighting mono on Diamond. Which means I can use Lucario! *is happy* Also, going to be choosing Chimchar as my starter (since it evolves into Fire/Fighting). Let's see how it goes.

I don't see the point in prohibiting Ghost monos in RBY. It's possible to beat the game with six Gengar if you want. Of course, it's going to be a little difficult getting past Psychic-types, but that's what powerleveling is for, right?

In Platinum you theoretically could do a Fire monotype, just catch another Houndour/Ponyta/Magby... If you're really anal about species clause, you could use both Magmar and Magmortar in a relatively strong party.

True, and you may do that. I guess. But the way i see it, yu shuld try to get all different kinds.

Just so I know what I'm getting into, how many Pokemon with fighting as their type are there in Diamond pre-National dex? Not which ones, just a number amount so I'm not flustering about whether I could have enough.

Back
Top Bottom