• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Cats (2019) Mafia

Haha, sorry, I'll explain soon.

i’m not going to overreact to this and be like “omg keldeos an exe” but it would be nice to have an explanation? esp bc it feels like keldeo asked me a question and i answered and then got voted without much of an acknowledgement to the post itself
Sorry, I read your response, it was part of why I voted you.

Can you go a little bit deeper on this for me? Why does me voting you without an explanation make you think I'm mafia - if I'm mafia, what do you think that I'm trying to accomplish by doing that, does that match with how I've represented my read on you and the vote itself? What concerns you about overreacting or saying I'm mafia?

I can't really be on right now but I think I understand the premise behind Keldeo's vote

I still think Trebek is town for now, I think that it's kind of weak because Trebek I think is at the really new end of the mafia player spectrum

Can you go a little bit deeper on this for me? Why does me voting you without an explanation make you think I'm mafia - if I'm mafia, what do you think that I'm trying to accomplish by doing that, does that match with how I've represented my read on you and the vote itself? What concerns you about overreacting or saying I'm mafia?

sorry, i never actually meant to imply mafia! i meant exe in the executioner sense (aka your wincon is getting me lynched). In ToS, a common exe line would be to just immediately FoS the target and keep the foot on the gas pedal the entire time, eventually convincing the town that i am a valid lynch target, since the lengths of the days are not long enough for people to always realize what is happening. My point was that i didnt think thats what you were going for, since a) i doubt that type of attack works on forum mafia and b) i feel like you'd be too experienced of a player to do that.

I can't really be on right now but I think I understand the premise behind Keldeo's vote

I still think Trebek is town for now, I think that it's kind of weak because Trebek I think is at the really new end of the mafia player spectrum
i get it but i don't like the phrasing of the push. trebek didn't say he thought keldeo was mafia

The tl;dr is that I wanted to do something and push buttons and put down a vote (I don't think it's too ever early to vote, I was a little surprised by the relative lack of movement) and I also wanted to get into Trebek's head a little bit and this seemed like a fun way to do that.

I was a little pinged by this sequence -

not something i consciously thought about until you mentioned it, but i am realizing that this is likely the exact same type of posting i would do if i were scum. its just hard to think of Things To Say TM that would solidify non-scumminess when every time i think of something i immediately think "oh. if i were scum i would also think of doing the same thing bc it would appear as town haha"

btw, @ Trebek (and everyone), it's good to put ideas out there and stuff even if you're kinda hesitant about it! Eifie worded it better than I can I think:

villagers should just post whatever the hell they want to post without worrying about how it's seen imo

(much easier said than done)
this is scawy

TLDR, i think im still too used to the ToS playstyle of "your personality doesnt really matter if you can just lie low/deterministically figure out the game" and not used enough to having to have Thoughts in a way that i can actually present to other people
because there's this sense of like, acute pressure to specifically post things that look good to other people rather than just post genuine thoughts, that I think is generally more likely to occur to a self-conscious wolf than to a newer-to-forum-mafia villager. I think as a self-conscious wolf it's easy to play up that self-consciousness and sort of just not do anything until the thread state settles down and you can make reads that don't draw a ton of attention to yourself.

it feels to me like at this early stage in the game, if i were town i would be trying to establish/solidify a towncore, and if i was mafia i would be trying to make sure i am a part of that towncore, to make things easier down the line. but if i were mafia, the way i would do that is likely to try to make my own towncore-esque reads, since thats what i would be expecting the town to do, rather than only try to worm into other people's cores
This response demonstrates that he knows about the towncore idea but I didn't get a firm sense of proactivity in solving or cooperation from his vibes reads post. His read on me kind of felt like he was accepting that I had been posting okay but then no-selling the entire read like "but maybe what if he's a good wolf."

Obviously it could just be that he's self-conscious and hesitant regardless of his alignment, and that would match completely with what mewtini said about him and with the mindset that he's been repping since essentially the start of the game, but I want to draw that out and I think to distinguish a wolf from a villager who's hesitant to get his feet wet I would like him to react to something that maybe blindsides him a little.

sorry, i never actually meant to imply mafia! i meant exe in the executioner sense (aka your wincon is getting me lynched). In ToS, a common exe line would be to just immediately FoS the target and keep the foot on the gas pedal the entire time, eventually convincing the town that i am a valid lynch target, since the lengths of the days are not long enough for people to always realize what is happening. My point was that i didnt think thats what you were going for, since a) i doubt that type of attack works on forum mafia and b) i feel like you'd be too experienced of a player to do that.
Ohh, sorry, I just assumed exe was another slang term for mafia. I've never encountered that role.

Do you have any thoughts about what this means for my alignment, if your thought was that I'm just probably not an executioner?

Ohh, sorry, I just assumed exe was another slang term for mafia. I've never encountered that role.

Do you have any thoughts about what this means for my alignment, if your thought was that I'm just probably not an executioner?

tbh, not really? reading through your rationale for it, your reads on what ive been saying make a lot of sense, and if the positions had been swapped/i had started this game with more of an idea of what to look for in people, i could totally see myself making the same reads/decisions.

the exe comment was more so oriented to frame the statement of "i want to read an explanation" than it was a genuine stab at your alignment, but after your recent posts it would definitely be off the table anyways (if such a role even existed in the first place. it doesnt feel like an exe would function nearly as well in forum play as it would in ToS)

sup vm. how goes da feline life
obligatory q: any thoughts upon readthrough? vibes? comments?
I'm trying to keep neutral reads of everyone on D1 because there's nothing useful to go off of at this point. I could tunnel in on someone for something trivial like their response to a joke and then be reading everything they do as scummy due to confirmation bias, or I could just vibe for now and wait for there to be some actual useful information.

I will say though that I am strongly townreading Tofu (who I live with) because she has never played mafia before, and she keeps asking me how a game of mafia works, and has asked stuff like "how do you know how many mafia there are" which wouldn't make sense for her to ask if she were mafia. Other than that we haven't discussed anything about our roles or anything about this game aside from how there are too many posts already.

my 2 cents is that he and i post-game talked indepth about tvtropes and my MU game so there's like, some notions that i think he's absorbed from me, but that he doesn't have hands-on experience with. i honestly think that his content so far has been exactly NAI, i can see what you mean about the parts you bolded but it reads insecure town/possibly null-insecure more than anything to me

so i don't really have huge thoughts on this. i just got paranoid that it was a push on low-hanging fruit
because there's this sense of like, acute pressure to specifically post things that look good to other people rather than just post genuine thoughts, that I think is generally more likely to occur to a self-conscious wolf than to a newer-to-forum-mafia villager.
i kinda disagree tbh? i felt this way big-time in tvt as an effective villager
I don't think it's too ever early to vote, I was a little surprised by the relative lack of movement
are you? this doesn't make much sense to me either, and i don't know why (or what kind of) movement would have occurred when no one's been all that content-engaged and when i think a lot of people were just caught off-guard by your vote

@.Keldeo idk mate, I feel like your reasoning is kinda flimsy? like, isn’t it much more plausible that Trebek would vent about that in scumchat rather than in the normal thread if he’s mafia?

she keeps asking me how a game of mafia works, and has asked stuff like "how do you know how many mafia there are" which wouldn't make sense for her to ask if she were mafia.
maybe she’s doing that to make you think she’s not mafia
wifom.3gpp

she keeps asking me how a game of mafia works, and has asked stuff like "how do you know how many mafia there are" which wouldn't make sense for her to ask if she were mafia.
maybe she’s doing that to make you think she’s not mafia
wifom.3gpp
I have done an ocular patdown, and I have assessed that she is not mafia

tbh, not really? reading through your rationale for it, your reads on what ive been saying make a lot of sense, and if the positions had been swapped/i had started this game with more of an idea of what to look for in people, i could totally see myself making the same reads/decisions.

the exe comment was more so oriented to frame the statement of "i want to read an explanation" than it was a genuine stab at your alignment, but after your recent posts it would definitely be off the table anyways (if such a role even existed in the first place. it doesnt feel like an exe would function nearly as well in forum play as it would in ToS)
Huh, so like, if you're Trebek
- you've never played forum mafia before but you've talked to mewtini about preconceptions and stuff that have you wanting to look good and understanding the importance of forming a towncore (I think? correct me if I have that wrong)
- you rand mafia, and you're the specifically self-conscious type who wants to actively look good and "leave no chinks in armor", and is maybe stressing out about that
- and you have been externalizing it in the thread rather than mafia chat, presumably because you think overt concern for your own appearance and hedging about what you post is what looks towny
- and you know that I'm town and that my points are actually true...

I kind of don't think you admit that?

Back
Top Bottom