• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl

What Version will you buy

• Pokémon Brilliant Diamond

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Pokémon Shining Pearl

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Both

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
y'all have lovely art!!

i'm not sure which version of BD/SP i'm getting, leaning towards pearl since misdreavus was exclusive to that one in the original and i assume it's going to stay that way

i'm getting Diamond but also you guys now i can finally let my dumb gay heart pine for unova remakes for real - it's their turn next

unova, my beloved....
although I liked the 2d unova so so so much and it will probably stay my favorite overall

but im super hyped for diamond, platinum was my first experience with pokemon games period, on my neighbor's cart. so it's gonna be so exciting. i love the art style tbh

now i can finally let my dumb gay heart pine for unova remakes for real - it's their turn next

unova, my beloved....
although I liked the 2d unova so so so much and it will probably stay my favorite overall

me too ;w; herbe we are two sides of a coin first you love unova and second of all you make a reference to what i can only assume is a reference to bingus

I know I am nine days late, but in the Switch OLED trailer, there was actually a few new seconds of gameplay footage of BDSP and it seems to have been changed a lot since February, and looks so much better now.
In my opinion, I actually feel like the reason its so different could be because the game was nowhere near ready to be shown back in February because they hadn't entered the polishing phase yet, but they had to do it for Pokemon Day. If that didn't happen though, it probably would've been revealed at E3 this year, with a similar trailer to the one we got, but looking way better.

Attachments

• E5nc9yRWYAYbnMi.jpg
    E5nc9yRWYAYbnMi.jpg
    382.6 KB · Views: 11
  • E5neTKKXoAkqrXK.jpg
    E5neTKKXoAkqrXK.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 11
Yeah, I saw that mentioned recently as well! Not sure how much of it is the actual game and how much is just touching-up for the trailer, but it definitely looks a lot better.

Depends. What're the version exclusives? How will the bosses be different? Which will be harder?

I don't expect there'll be much variation in difficulty between the two.

The closest thing the different versions have had to that is in gen 5 they had different difficulty levels which you had to unlock by completing the game on Normal difficulty first and on one version you unlocked Easy (no idea why you'd want to replay on Easy if you've aleady beat it on Normal) and the other version unlocked Hard. You had to connect to a completed game of the opposite version in order to unlock both.

I don't expect there'll be much variation in difficulty between the two.

The closest thing the different versions have had to that is in gen 5 they had different difficulty levels which you had to unlock by completing the game on Normal difficulty first and on one version you unlocked Easy (no idea why you'd want to replay on Easy if you've aleady beat it on Normal) and the other version unlocked Hard. You had to connect to a completed game of the opposite version in order to unlock both.
Nah it was worse than that... completing the game only let you unlock the new difficulty level wirelessly on a different cartridge! If you just restarted the game you'd lose the option altogether. Absolutely mental.

I appreciate that they're bringing back old features like the underground and contests, but I do feel like the fact that they get dropped from later games means they're just not interested in developing the mechanics? It's hard to explain - obviously they could be improving on them for the remake, but I feel we can be sure that come the next main series game they're going to be gone again so it's hard to get invested in them, you know?

The little preview of the mining minigame in the underground gave me the nostalgia feels though. I have fond memories of being in a holiday cottage playing Diamond a whole lot. Memories of very specific parts of the game - the underground, passing through Pastoria City while hatching eggs and thinking the music is nice and that it's a shame I don't have a reason to hand around in the city longer, and doing things on that route with the wind turbine (which is where I found my shiny Elekid!)

WALKY POKEMON IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

They showed legacy evos a lot too (like yanmega and togekiss), so I ASSUME that Nosepass is here, either in mt coronet or in the new underground areas :D It looks like the new underground areas have mostly platinum dex additions or pokemon that were super rare in the og games?

I appreciate that they're bringing back old features like the underground and contests, but I do feel like the fact that they get dropped from later games means they're just not interested in developing the mechanics? It's hard to explain - obviously they could be improving on them for the remake, but I feel we can be sure that come the next main series game they're going to be gone again so it's hard to get invested in them, you know?
Yeah, I get this. I discovered Pokémon late enough that I didn't notice it at the time - my first game was HeartGold - but I was watching a video essay about Diamond/Pearl recently and one of the interesting things it pointed out was that they were kind of the last games to actually build on the previous generation. Contests, berry trees and the Battle Tower/Frontier were in Gen 3; even the Underground is an expansion of the secret bases in R/S/E. So instead of adding new stuff, D/P was mostly just improving what was already there.

But after the "soft reboot" in Gen 5, they seem to have decided to instead rebuild the game from the ground up every time with a completely different set of features. And I agree, it's frustrating! Especially when they end up having to do more work to replace things they removed, like coming up with Festival Plaza instead of just keeping the PSS, which in my opinion was the best multiplayer system we've had in a Pokémon game to date.

Especially when they end up having to do more work to replace things they removed, like coming up with Festival Plaza instead of just keeping the PSS, which in my opinion was the best multiplayer system we've had in a Pokémon game to date.

Completely unpopular opinion, but i loved festival plaza
although yes it was way too overcomplicated

The Japanese ads for BDSP directly reference the Elite 4 door surfing glitch in the original games:

It's interesting to me that Nintendo acknowledges the cultural value of glitches in Pokémon games like this.

As for me, I'm probably not going to play the games, but might sit through a playthrough sometime.

Back
Top Bottom