• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

A
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• My excuse is that in-universe, Butterfree has somewhat more of a competitive niche than in the real-life competitive Pokémon scene. The lack of sleep clause and the prevalence of switchless battles means having Sleep Powder is actually pretty useful. Furthermore, May got a Butterfree at the beginning of her journey, at which time Butterfree actually legitimately is a very strong Pokémon compared to the unevolved ones everybody else at a similar level is using - she uses Butterfree a lot less now, but at the time it was actually very practical to have her.

But yes, the real reason May has a Butterfree is just that Butterfree is my second favorite Pokémon.
    If you're missing Jirachi, I have one from the gamestop event they had a few years back
    Nope, that's the one my cousin restarted. D: I may still be ever so slightly bitter about that.
    He didn't fall out; he just fell into a different memory. Hence his "I'm back in the khert? No, I never left it" on page 69.

We shall see if I fit that in somewhere.
    Duane's soul is in the khert. He is seeing bizarre hallucinations combining his memories with general nightmare stuff and other memories in the khert. The first silver weapon seems to have gone off and turned into a giant bloody khertsnake. Meanwhile, Lady Ilganyag (the six-breasted raven) has a humanoid body inside her, because why not.
    Eh, I think it's pretty clear Duane is an actual person. Plods are just pymarics, and pymarics can have personalities by utilizing ghosts, but as I understand how that works, you can't just grab a single person's entire supply of specific episodic memories and have a pymaric that behaves and thinks and talks and remembers exactly like that actual person. Even the Nevergreen staff, who have only met and interacted with Duane very briefly, think he seems uncannily like a man in a way they've never seen before.

Obviously Winalils would want to make everyone think he's just a fancy plod so that they'll go along with the plan, but there's no reason to think he's being truthful.
    When Lord Winalils approached Nary, he said Duane was just an advanced new kind of plod that thinks it's a man, escaped from its handlers in Alderode and needed to be brought back to them (the only reason for the trickery with Sette, at least as far as the Frummagems know, is that Duane is a top-notch wright by day and undead to boot, so it's hard to just grab him and forcibly take him anywhere; Stockyard had that agony-inducing mask, though, so they think that'll be enough to keep him helpless for the journey from Ethelmik to Alderode). As far as I can tell Stockyard thinks Duane and the silver are unrelated and both just happen to be bound for Alderode so it's convenient to take them in one trip, but like I said, Lord Winalils either is or works with Delicieu (I feel like them being one and the same has been confirmed on Tumblr, but that might just have been speculation; in any case Rahm seems to know something), so there's no way they don't have anything to do with each other. It's unclear how much Nary knows.
    Okay!

So there's a Black Tongue called Delicieu, who has developed a new kind of weapon using First Silver and an unusual kind of non-pymary magic probably derived from the largely unknown magic two-toed lizards do. He attempted to sell his research to the Queen of Cresce, but she refused, so instead he's selling it to Alderode, but Crescian officials seem to also be involved one way or another. The Red Berry Boys have been smuggling the weaponized First Silver inside comatose slaves, from Nary Frummagem (Sette's father) in Sharteshane to Stockyard Frummagem (Sette's cousin) in Ethelmik, Cresce; Stockyard has now loaded it onto a boat and is going to take it to the buyer in Alderode. However, Toma and Elka have been after the Red Berry Boys and know about the silver, and to stop them, Toma has blocked the underground river that is to be Stockyard's smuggling route.

Almost definitely related to the First Silver smuggling, though we don't know precisely how yet: Lord Winalils (who either is or works with Delicieu) made a deal with Nary to get Duane to Stockyard as well, making use of Sette's desperation to prove herself and Duane's weakness for little green-eyed girls to get them to travel together to Ethelmik under the pretense of collecting thief-tax from Stockyard - a plan that obviously succeeded brilliantly. Stockyard has captured both Sette and Duane and given Duane a special plod mask that causes excruciating pain in the hope that it will prevent him from engineering his own escape once he returns to his senses in the morning, and he plans to take him into Alderode to Lord Winalils as well.

Before being captured, Sette had retrieved Swarm (Quigley's bug summon pymaric cloak) and arranged through Matty and Jivi to meet with him at a temple, hoping to hire him to take out Stockyard, after reasoning (with Duane's help) that her dad would finally be impressed with her if she took charge and completed the deal with Lord Winalils herself. When Quigley got there, however, he found Elka instead, and they traded information. Then Elan got there and informed them Toma was trapped down in the tunnels, having been attacked by Anadyne, Knock-Me-Down and some townspeople after blocking the river. Elka sent him and Quigley to find Toma and help him.

Meanwhile Matty and Jivi are still at Iori's house, as far as we know; Toby is possibly about to attempt to kill Stockyard so that he and Anadyne can escape and have their own life; and the silver on Stockyard's boat beneath the Deadly Nevergreen is pupating into something incredibly horrifying that feeds on pain and attracts smoke eels en masse. Cutter, the Red Berry Boys' two-toe, was apparently sent to accompany the silver by Nary and is disturbingly gleeful about the whole thing. SOMETHING VERY HORRIBLE IS GOING TO HAPPEN.

Aaand meanwhile the captive Sette and Duane have been having trippy dream sequences about their many issues.

Okay maybe it's not that short.
    I don't usually understand properly how things hang together either until I reread. It is pretty intricate, and a lot of things don't really click until you have some later detail to connect them to. It also helps to follow the author's Tumblr - she answers a lot of worldbuilding questions there that make things clearer (I've understood pymary pretty well from there since before the comic made it out to be anything but vaguely-defined magic).

I could give you a short summary of what's going on right now as I understand it if you want!
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back
Top Bottom