• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Abortion

My sources would be this,this,oh and this. Risks aren't normal really, but they are there. Any time you are putting chemicals into our body it is possible to cause damage.

prochoice.com said:
Anti-abortion activists claim that having an abortion increases the risk of developing breast cancer and endangers future childbearing. They claim that women who have abortions without complications are more likely to have difficulty conceiving or carrying a pregnancy, develop ectopic pregnancies, which are pregnancies outside of the uterus (commonly in one of the fallopian tubes), deliver stillborn babies, or become sterile. However, these claims have been refuted by a significant body of medical research. In February 2003, a panel of experts convened by the National Cancer Institute to evaluate the scientific data concluded that studies have clearly established that "induced abortion is not associated with an increase in breast cancer risk."15 Furthermore, comprehensive reviews of the data have concluded that a vacuum aspiration procedure in the first trimester poses virtually no risk to future reproductive health.16 (See Abortion Myths: Abortion and Breast Cancer.)

http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/facts/safety_of_abortion.html

http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/ere-workshop-report

?_? so it seems we have conflicting resources, then?

EDIT: There are people who when pregnant aren't bothered by any pain. Specifically one women I know is still instructing a dance class, in fact doing even the dance steps with the class, and is pregnant.

Okay, first: how pregnant?
Once you get to be 8-9 months pregnant, there is a multi-pound weight in your body in an uncomfortable position... oh, all the time.
But that much is obvious.

These are normal symptoms for the first month or so of pregnancy.

Okay, so about 1-2 weeks after you get pregnant, you bleed, like having a mini period. Since you're a guy, you've never had one, but allow me to inform you that when you aren't expecting cramping, bloating and bloody clothes, they are rather inconvenient to say the least. You can also have as many of these as your body damn well feels like giving you, the entire time you're pregnant.

Also, later the first month you still get all the normal period symptoms except bleeding. Furthermore, all of your daily activities will most likely be interrupted because you have to use the bathroom, because your child is just big enough to put pressure on your bladder at five weeks. Also - any pressure can be painful, especially on internal organs.

Next, have you ever heard of morning sickness? Not necessarily in the morning, nearly every woman I know who has ever been pregnant testifies to have had it. Any time of day really, but you just get nauseous, maybe throw up a few times.

And that's the first five weeks, so just over a month. And the first month is easily the least painful. Need I continue? I can look up for you every potential symptom of pregnancy known to man. Really, no problem.

Sources: Real people
Link
Link
link

Hmm, how about if the Abortion Council conferring with your insurance-paid psychologist disapproves of your abortion, you have to pay for it out of your pocket, but if approved, you get your abortion covered completely by insurance. This would give financial incentive to give your case to the Abortion Council, because if they approve it, you get your abortion free! And if it is denied, it isn't illegal for you to abort, just costly.

hmm, sounds good in theory. Wouldn't mind seeing it suggested to see the reactions.

Very, to be honest, I guess I am one of those rather safe then sorry types, so I would rather be armed with probably consequences, then just saying not going to happen. I never look at emotional consequences, so that takes out some of the third site I use, and most side effects are very rare, if they do happen it's like 1 in 50.

You think my mother and younger brother should've been aborted? That's very vile of you.

No, I don't, and it would be pleasant if you interpreted my statements correctly. The case is, however, that most aborted babies tend to be severely handicapped (for example, they come into the world stillborn or with a horrible disease that allows them to live a couple years, or without legs or something) and I can't blame parents for not wanting their child to grow up like that. The fact that your family chose to do it anyway is good for them.

Listen to me: I am not saying they SHOULD BE aborted. I am saying that most parents will because they wouldn't wish that shit on their worst enemy and you of all people should know how hard it is to cope with. That and the fact those people will scarcely contribute to society as a whole gives me a valid reason to abort my child. And I'm not being mean here. I want to grant my child the full ability to experience life - if it's so handicapped it's basically a care-vegetable, then what is the point in living? It's about quality of life. And that leads me to think *I* would abort my child if that happened - obviously abortion is a choice in every case.

If a bunch of cells that could potentially develop into a human being should be treated as human beings, then aren't we all morally obligated to have sex all the time? You know, save the lives of those unused sperm/egg cells? I mean they're not human beings yet, but they could be if we just gave them a chance! As a woman you could probably manage a baby a year or so, am I right?

If a bunch of cells that could potentially develop into a human being should be treated as human beings, then aren't we all morally obligated to have sex all the time? You know, save the lives of those unused sperm/egg cells? I mean they're not human beings yet, but they could be if we just gave them a chance! As a woman you could probably manage a baby a year or so, am I right?

Also, we'll have to develop menopause prevention so none of the eggs are wasted.

unless you do something to a sperm, it won't become a human. unless you do something to a zygote, it will become a human.

unless you do something to a sperm, it won't become a human. unless you do something to a zygote, it will become a human.

This simply isn't true. For example, the zygote could fail to implant in the uterus - this would effectively cause an abortion, without anything having happened to the zygote.

This simply isn't true. For example, the zygote could fail to implant in the uterus - this would effectively cause an abortion, without anything having happened to the zygote.

And even if it manages to implant it has to go through tons of crap and jump through a bazillion hoops to become something that even slightly resembles a human baby!

All sorts of things can and regularly do go wrong without any human intervention whatsoever!

which explains why 99.33% of zygotes come out perfectly fine.

In an overwhelming majority of cases, a zygote will become a baby without any human intervention.

Also, I would love to see your source for the 99.33% figure. I imagine there are a lot of pregnancies* which end before the woman even realises she is pregnant (that's what the zygote (well, blastocyte) failing to implant would result in!), so I can't see how an accurate number could possibly be determined.

*depending on your definition of pregnancy

... okay that counts the number of babies who are born dead (or die shortly after birth; I'm not sure how IMR is measured, precisely). That is not in any sense a measure of how likely it is for a zygote to eventually become an individual.

It's not some arbitrary number, it's when without any outside force acting on it, it will become a baby. Then it goes from theoretical to very real.

It's not some arbitrary number, it's when without any outside force acting on it, it will become a baby. Then it goes from theoretical to very real.

Does the mother count as an outside force? Because if she does, then if she stops, oh I don't know, eating, the foetus won't become a baby! And that's with no outside force acting on it!

Back
Top Bottom