• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Anime/Manga Club

Anime & Manga:
Naruto (Started watching it and got hooked...then I started reading the Manga)
FMA (My friend got me into this one... only on ep. 20 however...just started with the manga...I hate Tucker...)

I'm planning to watch Bleach and/or Death Note...(I've only just started watching some animes and reading the mangas...soooo, yeah...)

Manga~
Stuff I am mostly caught up with!
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn! - is epic and entertaining! Moreso prior to Future Arc, sadly: Future Arc's taking a while since there's more to the plot and it's not over yet so it seems to be dragging.
- Azumanga Daioh - \o/ if only it was on-going: then maybe I'd pay more attention to it. SADLY my interest wanes quickly if I don't have a reason to reread it to keep up with the series~
- Fullmetal Alchemist - Doesn't update quickly enough to hold my interest so I check onemanga or any of a couple other websites every few months. Which sucks because it's pretty awesome! Needs more explosions though.
- Piano no Mori - cute but sad. aaaa I want to help Kai ; ; I have no idea whether or not this is ongoing.

Stuff I have read some of~
- D.Gray-Man - I am up to that boat with the prostitutes! It seems... mediocre thus far. The only reason I have been bothering with it at all is that I want to get to the bits with Jasdevi. :'[ Rabi is pretty neat too but I am mainly waiting for Devit. ... which means I am reading it slowly because I don't care about most of the cast I've met. Ticky seems cool, too.
- Death Note - Had fun with the series until
died. Seemed to jump the shark after that and I really didn't care about the replacement antihero(es).
- Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - Had fun with! Onemanga only has a few chapters, though, or did when I last looked, and I haven't seen the rest of it anywhere. Haven't really looked though. Anyone have a link to where I can download most/all of it?
- Ouran High School Host Club - holy shit that art is godawful. COULD NOT STAND THE ANATOMYFAIL
- Shaman King - Anatomyfail: WE CAN HAVE IT. Aaaaaagh.
- Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - Anatomyfail or just an irritating style? I'm not totally sure. Read part of it; might watch the anime sometime soon since that seems to have good art.
- Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - Couldn't remember what had happened.
- Fruits Basket - was reading physical manga volumes a few years ago and only read the first two or three! Might pick up again.
- Yotsuba&! - ... dunno why I stopped reading about a volume and a half in. Will probably pick up again since the art is pretty and I was actually interested in it!
- Pokemon Special - only read up until the beginning of GS arc.

Anime~~
AM UP TO DATE
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn! - art is godawful half of the time and v pretty the other half of the time. Pacing is better than that of the manga's most of the time, and it follows the manga's plot pretty closely (if you ignore that they wrote out Naito Longchamp, but actually I don't think anyone likes Longchamp really so uh?) so! Most of the voice acting is pretty good, although I think Yamamoto's voice actor should be shot for attempting to sing and I die a little every time Gokudera yells "JYUUDAIME!!", mainly because writers of badfic tend to go with that over "TEEEENTH!!" or 'boss' or something. Also because I read the manga first. Actually, I think I've only seen about 2/3 of the anime...? Basically only the plot bits and part of the daily life arc.
- Fullmetal Alchemist - I think I would hate the anime if I had read the manga first, but since I saw the anime first, I liked it! Don't really like that it diverges from the manga quite a bit, but I don't think they had a choice. It's coherent and quite good, so.
- Princess Tutu - is adorable. Short - only one season - but great. GO WATCH IT

HAVE WATCHED SOME OF
- Pokemon? Should probably look for subs!
- Death Note - wow the anime is slooooow agh drags on
- Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei - only watched the first episode or so, dunno why.
- Slayers - IF YOU IGNORE THE REST OF MY POST THEN PAY ATTENTION TO THIS BIT. I have only watched the second season (Slayers: NEXT) and the movie and some of the OVAs and I guess half of the first season but this is VERY EPIC. IF YOU ARE UNFAMILIAR WITH SLAYERS THEN GO FIX IT I love most of the cast, the female characters are at least as badass as the male ones (in a series focusing a lot on people blowing each other up, even!) and they are making a fourth season. IT IS GREAT there is a plot and the plot is neat, there are random standalone episodes and they are great (complete with the long-haired swordsman crossdressing convincingly!), there are random fight scenes that aren't actually random and both make sense in context and are great, the theme songs are great, and basically GO WATCH IT. NOW. DO IT OR I WILL CRY. I MEAN IT.
- a hell of a lot of other things

SHALLOW? ME? how could you guess that also you can probably get me to read anything if you provide links to pages that are made of win or even just rant at me about it enough and provide relevant links
JUST. LINK.

Am joining!

Stuff I enjoyed greatly:
Anime:
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Is rather amazing, and I think everyone should at least give it a try, though I can't say it'll be everyone's cup of tea. And the first season is a lot better than the second.
- Azumanga Daioh: You WILL fall in love with it!
- Lucky Star: Like Azumanga Daioh for otakus...
- Excel Saga: Words can't describe it. :P
- Aria: This series is just about my favorite ever. It's amazing. And just got licenced, but the first season won't make it here for months.
- Hayate the Combat Butler: Gets a little stale closer to the end, but I enjoyed it all-in-all. However, you're going to have to be a real otaku to get all the humor.
I could list more, but that'd be getting into more obscure titles.

Manga, this is just everything I own since my collection is small:
- .hack//Legend of the Twilight (1-3): Way better than the anime adaptation, seeing as how this one has all the storyline.
- Cromartie High School (1): It's extremely funny so far. Like Azumanga Daioh but it's about a bunch of high school punks instead.
- Aqua (1-2): This is the prequel to Aria, and the manga is better than the anime, if only by a bit.
- Aria (1-2): Both this and Aqua are must reads.
- Hayate the Combat Butler (1-2): Manga seems about teh same as the anime so far.

I could go on forever, but I'm sure everyone here could and that's exactly why we're here.

My watch list pales in comparison, but I daresay I watch a lot of stuff from different genres.

Bleach, Elfen Lied, CLANNAD, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Code Geass, ef~ a tale of memories, Naruto, Death Note, Fullmetal Alchemist, Love Hina

(watch/read combined list... a bit messy, but I'm lazy at the moment)

For those of you who love school animes, I strongly recommend CLANNAD and ef~ a tale of memories. They do not seem to be on anybody's list here.

Ooh, you know what's great and I forgot to mention? Read Or Die, particularly the three-episode OVA which UKians might be able to find in HMV for about £5-7ish.
The main character is a papermancer. It makes books awesome.

Elfen Lied terrified meeee~

Oh! Also forgot to mention the studio Ghibli movies. I loved Totoro, Moving Castle, Mononoke, Cat Returns and Nausica. And others, but I liked them best.

I don't think Grave of the Fireflies (which I will always call Cave of the Dragonflies) is a Ghibli movies, but it's amazing and teeply tragic and highly reccomended anyways.

I love Studio Ghibli films. Ones I liked most were Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, but I've seen Spirited Away 4 times, so that might be influencing me.

Studio Ghibli did the animation production work on Grave of the Fireflies. I would recommend it, but it's not entirely for everyone, as I know for some people it hits way too close to home. Try it if it intrigues you, but prepare yourself.

Oh. Samurai Champloo and Paranoia Agent. They were two of the best series I've ever seen on Adult Swim. I've started re-watching Paranoia Agent with subs. :]

Aaaah, I love Paranoia Agent! It's amazing and creepy and intense and I love how a minor character in one episode will always me the main character in the next one, and I actually really want a plushie of that pink dog-thing that talks to the graphic designer girl~~~

I've only watched the first 2 DVDs, though, and I want to know how it ends.

I also live the theme tune, though the opening with all the people laughing is a tad creepy.

Aaargh why didn't I see this earlier. D: I want to join, please!

I desire to join, but I don't watch any anime except for Code Geass and what few DVDs I can buy (which only include Hagaren/FMA, Last Exile, and Suzumiya Haruhi). I have a fairly big collection of manga, my favorites being:
-Mushishi
-Tegami Bachi
-ZOMBIE-LOAN
-One Piece
-Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
-Shinshi Doumei Cross
-Hagane no Renkinjutsushi/FullMetal Alchemist
-Pocket Monster Special (seriously, the manga's good)~
-Pita-Ten
-D. Gray-Man

Also novels why don't we talk about light novels here, since they have already integrated themselves into otaku culture and a lot of them have spawned anime adaptations. My favorite novel series include Suzumiya Haruhi, Toradora!, Shakugan no Shana, and I've read only the first novel but Zero no Tsukaima is pretty good.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Pokéspecial~ I've actually got everything up to the beginning of the Gold/Silver/Crystal arc saved on my computer, along with two random volumes from somewhere in the Ruby/Sapphire arc. X3; I love the art style used, and it seems a lot less childish than the anime~ (THE ELITE FOUR ARE ECO-TERRORISTS.)

I'd love to read more but I can't find it...

Ah yes, Pocket Monster Special is rather awesome, isn't it? I read the first two volumes of the RBY arc in English, I have volumes 8 and 9 (the first two of the GSC arc), and I saw 10 in a used book section and read it right there (I kind of regret that, I could have added it to my collection and it was only two dollars, but the condition of the dust jacket was... iffy).

I wish I could read it more, but I only go to Kinokuniya every so often and I kind of prioritize other series ahead of it and I can't hold a whole ton in my bag. D: The Pocket Monster Special volumes are slightly larger than most other manga, too.

I like Pokemon Special, except that they give all the Pokemon the same eyes. Ecerything else is pretty cool. I have volumes 2-7. Wish they'd release GCS in America.

I just saw an episode of Slayers last night on the FUNI channel. It was pretty cool.
Also saw Grave of the Fireflies. It was... depressing.

I so want to join. :D

My top favorite anime would have to be Tenchi Muyo.
with FMA a close 2nd.

I know it's probably not good to start discussing an anime that only two people have heard of, but...
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Is rather amazing, and I think everyone should at least give it a try, though I can't say it'll be everyone's cup of tea. And the first season is a lot better than the second.

Out of curiosity, why do you think that the first season is better?
Second season explains the reason behind the disaster and most other questions, and and it has Hanyuu! Is it because first season's bloodier or leaves you with more mysteries to solve?

Should I try to find Higurashi no Naku Koro ni? I mean, I've heard of it enough to know that the 'Na' is red, but eh. :/

waitwaitwait DANNICHU HAS HEARD OF SUIKODEN!?

Yes, probably because the first season had more of a mysterious/horror feel to it. The second season was good as well, but for entirely different reasons. It had hope. I rather enjoy hopelessness, auu~.

Higu is definitely worth a shot.

waitwaitwait DANNICHU HAS HEARD OF SUIKODEN!?

Danni has. She's only read volumes one and two, though, because the third volume does not exist. Both my friend and I loved the first two volumes and have looked everywhere for the third, but every shop that sells manga ever will have 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, five billion, but never 3.
D:

I've only ever played the first game. Is the Suikoden manga any good?

go Tir go be your Blessed with Suck self and omnomnom your enemies 8D

Danni has. She's only read volumes one and two, though, because the third volume does not exist. Both my friend and I loved the first two volumes and have looked everywhere for the third, but every shop that sells manga ever will have 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, five billion, but never 3.
D:

Oh, I hate that. Too many times I've gone into a book store looking for a certain volume of something, and they'll only have volumes 1, 3, and then like 7 of that series. Either that, or I'm looking to get into a certain series and they'll have every volume but the first one. :\

I guess you could ask the store to order the one you want, but it usually takes forever. :C

I so want to join. :D

My top favorite anime would have to be Tenchi Muyo.

I remember liking Tenchi Muyo when it was on Toonami ages ago, but I don't remember much about the actual story.

I remember liking Tenchi Muyo when it was on Toonami ages ago, but I don't remember much about the actual story.

Kinda hard to explain.( aka: i dont know it also. XD ) One thing i dont get is that they basicly redone the show alot of times, but they just changed a little bit of the story.

Back
Top Bottom