• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB Halloween Mafia 2011: Night 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
((Hey look, it's a handy-dandy link to the rules/information post in the sign-up thread for reference! Hooray!

And a note: All names here, are, of course, the names of players, not roles. The bold body count at the end has any names listed as [PlayerName](p) just to be sure there's no confusion. Any roles with these names may or may not still be out there!))

I do not know exactly how long the group has been here, to be honest, any more than I can say how long I myself have been here aside from the fact that I arrived well before they did. Or was it only moments before? It is so difficult to know the time, or even know if time means anything in this forsaken place, and I have given up all hope of determining what has transpired in the lands of light and logic beyond this plane. Attempting to wrap my mind around such things is an exercise in futility and headaches, and one I have long since abandoned for the sake of my own sanity. There is precious little left of that as it is.

(It is not as distressing as one might imagine, the loss of time. When there is no one waiting for you on the other side, and when there is no one to whom you wish to return, what is the need for counting the minutes as they may or may not tick by?

I have more important things to think about than what they are doing with themselves now, at any rate.)

At the very least I do know the landscape—this small part of it, anyway, most of the time when it isn't in one of its fickle moods and contemplating rearranging itself—better than that gaggle of dazed and forlorn wanderers, and as such I find the bodies long before they do. Bodies are something I have been finding rather a lot of ever since their sudden appearance. People have been drawn into this place before and after my arrival, of course, and they all have a tendency to turn up dead; sometimes it sees to that itself. All things considered, I must color myself amazed that I have not yet met a similar fate. Most of the Lost have done less to perturb it than I.

But I have not seen it around of late—one can only wonder where it has gone off to, or whether it has gone anywhere at all—and this level of destruction would ordinarily be difficult to achieve without its assistance. It has even escalated above and beyond the carnage I had seen those three leave behind before, which until now had been single victims, lured away from the group and off to some lonely area to meet a grisly end. But to find three at once...

The rest of the group does come along at length, after a tiring search through stands of plants and around waving waterfalls in the vain hope that they might discover their missing compatriots still alive. Instead I watch them from a distance as they stumble across the remains, all three strewn across the same large floating island. The first has been impaled by a thick stem snapped from one of the plants, pinned to the crumbling earth in a pool of his own blood; the second is horribly broken, her neck and chest twisted and squeezed as though some great coils or monstrous hands had wrung her poor body out like laundry.

And the murderers, already having edged their way back into the fold and masked their madness so well, gasp and weep and stare along with the rest, their fellow wanderers none the wiser. One of them even manages a convincing ragged cheer and spits on the third corpse, the fangmarks marring the deceased's body not enough to hide the wide, staring eyes and warped grin that mark one distorted by the darkness. The murderer pauses just long enough to steal a longing glance at that same darkness, still swirling and pulsing around them without form or meaning. The others do not notice, too busy grieving or celebrating or trying to make sense of their senseless situation to pay that fleeting look any mind.

I wonder how long they will be able to keep up that facade before the strain of the darkness truly cracks them. Surely they will lose what composure they have left, if the darkness has had this powerful an effect on them already. It is not a matter of if, only when, for some value of "when" that carries some sort of meaning in a world outside of time.

If nothing else, it will be much sooner than the other lost ones would like.

Superbird(p) is dead. He was not mafia.
Skylark(p) is dead. He was mafia.
HighMoon(p) is dead. She was mafia.

You have 48 hours for discussion and voting.

Last edited:
Re: ASB Halloween Mafia 2011: Day 1

... Holy shit. Three deaths in one night?

Bite marks? Sounds like ole_schooler(r) has been up to something. I think that, then maybe healer clash and regular mafia kill. Sort of insane though. Any hits inspectors?

Kratos your writing makes me look at my writing and think god damn, why can't my writing be more like that writing?

I didn't die night one!

Anyway, it seems that we're seeing this from the POV of Giratina! I'm not sure if that's too helpful or not, but it might give us some interesting insight.

None of those kills really look like a healerclash, though... although I do admit I don't necessarily know what a healerclash in this game would look like. To be honest, if I had to put it to a guess I'd say they'd be nonviolent.

Personally, it seems sort of practical that I (the role) died. At which I'm pretty disappointed; I love lovers for no entirely rational reason. They suck to win at normally, but still.

But by the looks of it, Skylark (player) did die from a vigkill. At which case I'd be pretty upset; despite the fact that ole_schooler (the role) did guess right, this probably means we'll have issues with a reckless vig. Seriously guys, assuming that's what it was, vigkilling night one is ridiculous and should stop being a thing. Either that or one of the fishing brothers are dead, in which case I'd still have to put out a slightly irritated useless thing about baseless vigkills.

Although we did still get a mafia down from this; if I had to guess I'd say that the role was either Mawile or Byrus. I have no idea why, it just seems like the rest would appear as a little bit less insane.

But yes that flavortext is awesome :D

For convenience: impaled through the neck with a flower stem, twisted and wrung, bitten.

The latter sounds like ole_schooler(r); neither of these particularly seem to be a healer clash. I'd be willing to bet the second one was wrought out by myself(r). It's also worth noting that they're not necessarily in the same order as the bold text, seeing as the bitemarks appear to correspond to the dead mafioso (who appears as the second in boldtext).

I think impaled through the neck with a flower stem can be a lover death? Idk. Flower representing love and all.

I think impaled through the neck with a flower stem can be a lover death? Idk. Flower representing love and all.
It looks to me more like a mafia death, seeing as its use of improvised weapons imply neither of the other killers (who use Metronome and dogs).

I don't recall a lover being present in this game, either way.

Now that I double-checked, there is a lover, in the form of Mai(r). However, a death caused by that role would be something more brutal, as the flavor implies any killing done through this role is done through Azuraine the Nidoking.

... Now that I think about it, though, that definitely sounds akin to the twisted and wrung corpse.

In my head the narrator is Cyrus until proven otherwise :V Unlikely to be Giratina, though, since it mentions people coming before the narrator's arrival.

In any case, there are six ways to die at night. A mafia kill, sreservoir (r), Metallica Fanboy (r), doctor clash, fishing brother, and by a lover (which always comes in pairs). If we go with flavour text, mafia and sreservoir (r) were likely involved with the plant-death and bite-death respectively (there was a mention of using the plants in the introduction).

Having her neck and chest crushed/twisted could be anything, really. There's no reason it can't be metronome other than that metronome should be calling draco meteors every night, but it's probably within a nidoking/fishing brother's capabilities (even if a nidoking seems more like the thrashing type which is slightly different from... wring out, maybe?). I'd say not doctor clash, though, because it doesn't sound like it.

Aren't "mafia kill" and "sreservoir(r) kill" the same thing for N0?

Also, if I read my(r) role descritpion right, there's no reason why I(r) wouldn't be killing at every opportunity, so, I think it's more feasible to assume that than any form of revengekill.

By "mafia kill" I meant that it's the mafia doing the killing, which I assume is your point of confusion.

I suppose that Metallica Fanboy (r) could have killed a doctor's target, but yeah, that's my primary suspect for that kill just because it's more likely to happen.

By "mafia kill" I meant that it's the mafia doing the killing, which I assume is your point of confusion.

I suppose that Metallica Fanboy (r) could have killed a doctor's target, but yeah, that's my primary suspect for that kill just because it's more likely to happen.
And sreservoir(r)'s power is just that: doing the killing for the mafia. I still don't see a distinction.

The same could be assumed of any killing power, too.

Oh, whoops. Yeah, I meant ole_schooler (r) ... just coming back to fix that >>; Dog pack vig, anyhow.

And Metallica Fanboy (r) is the one most likely to happen under the assumption that mafia and vigkill have already gone through, as those are the three regular killing powers.

1. HighMoon -- not mafia
2. Pathos
3. Phantom
4. Grass King
5. Kusarigamaitachi
6. Metallica Fanboy
7. Crazy Linoone
8. Effercon
9. Dark Aura
10. The Omskivar
11. Mai
12. Littlestream
13. Lord of the Fireflies
14. Mawile
15. Skylark -- mafia
16. Denryu
17. Legendaryseeker99
18. Superbird -- not mafia
19. bulbasaur
20. Zhorken
21. RespectTheBlade
22. blazheirio889
23. Clover

These lists are generally always helpful, so~! Though usually moreso after a few days. No harm in starting one now though!

So yeah. Three deaths. Let's go down the possible methods of killing, yeah? (Man, it's so /weird/ to play with not-secret roles, haha.) Mafia kill, healer clash, vigilante, and then lovers or revenge pair would each account for two bodies. That's actually more than I'd expected!

While we could reckon that one of these bodies are accounted for by mafia kill, take note that there's actually a ~lot~ of ways for people to avoid death in this game -- there are three healers (I think I'm right in reading the flavour text for Omiskivar[r][sp] as mafia doctor, anyway); LotF[r] is basically a 3x bulletproof, which is pretty crazy; plus there's Metallica Fanboy[r] as alien and the possibility of the variable having chosen one of the hidey moves.

We need to take into consideration also that the terrorist, alien, and mafia doctor turn up mafia on death, along with the Big Three killers. Not that I'm saying Skylark doesn't have just as much chance of being one of the killing roles as e does being one of the peripherals, but... idrk.

I guess I don't actually have a point to this post but hey look at those words they sure are words.

(words that were written from before kusari said anything so now they're totally superfluous words. yeah you go clover you are the best at mafia.)

Metallica Fanboy (r) is a serial killer - there are no aliens to worry about. I suppose it would be a terrible sort of role for a game where you only get prizes for surviving.

Two to three deaths a night is about standard, depending on how ole_schooler (r) decides to play, so it's probably simpler to assume that lover/fishing brother/doctor clash didn't happen (and it probably doesn't affect too much if that's the case). But it's probably useful to keep track of all the ways of avoiding death. So, yes. Two Lost doctors, a 3x bulletproof LotF (r), and a mafia doctor and variable role which are less reliable. Then there's the possibility of Blastoise Fortooate (r) going after one of the would-be killers, so in theory, up to six deaths could be prevented on one night, though it's rather unlikely.

SO THIS IS THE PART WHERE KRATOS FUCKS SOMETHING UP I BET YOU WERE ALL WAITING FOR THIS PART WITH BATED BREATH WELL HERE YOU GO

HighMoon(p) should have flipped mafia upon death, not "not mafia". Fixing the boldtext, will fix the description (slightly) later when I don't have other things to be doing. fml.

Well, that's two dead mafiosi.

That, or somebody killed me(r).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom