• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ASB is back!

Zhorken

groove out!
Pronoun
they or she
At long (long) last ASB is back!

As stated in the previous announcement, a year ago, the hack has been replaced by the ASB Database. You'll have to register for it separately, but it's super-quick, and you'll automatically get all your stuff back from the previous league, if applicable. (If you registered when it was in beta, you'll have to register again.) The database has its own built-in Pokédex, which is up to date for OR/AS data! Woo!

Also, you can get a free Kalos Pokémon with its hidden ability until the end of February! The Kalos promo should appear at the top of the Buy Pokémon page, which is accessible via Your Pokémon. (Before you all rush off to get Protean Froakies, keep in mind that we may very well nerf Protean if it turns out to be as ridiculous in ASB as it is in the games.)

Major changes from the previous league:
  • The Database keeps track of battles, so we can start officially keeping track of win/loss records! At the top of the list of battles, refs should see an "Open a new battle" link; enter everyone's names in there and it'll create a page for the battle and spit out handy BBCode to start the thread. (If you were a ref in the previous league and you want your job back, just post in the Ref HQ.)
  • All the item shops have been taken over by the Database, since they just made two or three trainers super-rich, plus this way is a lot more convenient. One-use items like berries are now one use per battle, and berries have had their prices raised accordingly.
  • Fakemon are gone — they hadn't been updated since Gen IV, and a whole lot of them were created by people who have left TCoD. All the Fakemon have been released into the wild, and their trainers have been refunded the original amount they paid for them, plus one Rare Candy for each experience point they had.
  • Signature moves/attributes/body mods are on hold for the time being. The Database's support for them is a work in progress and we're not sure if we want to make some changes to how they work. We still have all the old data for everyone's sig stuff, though; don't worry.
  • Businesses are also on hold for the time being.

And miscellaneous smaller changes:
  • Flying and hovering has been nerfed a little. Unless you're actually Flying-type or have Levitate, you won't get out of Ground attacks for free anymore; you have to take an action to actually fly/float up. The categories have been shuffled around a little, too. (No more flying Floatzel. It's sad, I know, but it's for the best.) Search for "Flying and Hovering Pokémon" in the rules for details.
  • Moves and abilities whose effects changed in X/Y have not been updated yet. For the time being, refs are free to stick to what the database says, or use their best judgement to ref them based on their Gen VI effects. If you're not sure how your ref will handle it, just ask them. (Plain old numbers, like power and accuracy, have been updated, however.)
  • Event-only moves are off-limits for the time being, since they're not in the Database yet. Whatever's in the Database is the final word on what a Pokémon can use.
  • Pokémon with multiple forms each have their own ruling now, on their page in the Database. In particular, Rotom's form isn't chosen when it's sent out anymore: you can change it at any time through the database, but whatever form it's in when active squads are posted is the form it's stuck in for the battle.
  • Emergency refs' bonus pay is now $1 per Pokémon on the field per round (rather than a flat $3 per round).
  • We have nebulous plans to make happiness more of a thing, somehow, so all the Pokémon have had their happiness raised to the minimum it should be at for their experience level. Also, Rare Candies will raise happiness as well.
  • I may be forgetting something. If you see something in the rules or wherever that isn't how you remember it being in the old league, feel free to point it out.

EDIT: Apparently the forums have an option to hide various sections of your profile from guests, which can cause trouble validating. If it's telling you it can't find an ASB profile link, make sure your About Me section is visible to Everyone, and then try again. (You can set it back afterwards.)

Last edited:
Also, I forgot to announce, you can get a free Kalos Pokémon with its hidden ability until the end of February! Via Your Pokémon → Buy Pokémon. (Before you all rush off to get Protean Froakies, keep in mind that we may very well nerf Protean if it turns out to be as ridiculous in ASB as it is in the games.)

Last edited:
Question: With sufficient demand and a sufficiently updated system for adding them, would you consider ever re-adding fakemon? This would of course be after said hypothetical sufficient updates and demand.

Other than that I am so hype for this to be back omg

There's 700 actual pokemon; what do you need fakemon for?

I AM EXCITED.

Mmmmaybe.

I remember Negrek saying basically the same thing as surskitty some time back, and that the only reason TCoD ASB had Fakemon in the first place was that they were part of the ASB league it was based on. I'm in the same camp, to be honest, but if enough people really wanted them, I'd be alright with it.

klDcOL6.png

\o/ yesssss

:D this is the best thing ever! I'll also be.sure to, ahem, be an actually prompt ref this go around.

... just as soon as I get my laptop.

:D! Good to see everything's finally come together! (I was lurkyloo-watching your group's progress and got kind of impatient when things got quiet, haha.) I don't know that I really have it in me to return to reffing or regular battling immediately, but I'm glad that ASB will be ready and waiting for me when I am!

Question, though: Is there someplace specific you want us to report issues we find with the database, or is this thread okay? I ran into a server error with quick buy and figured you should know about it; if there's a better place to mention it than here then just say so. (If error reports are fine here, I'll go ahead and give more detail... not that there's a lot to give, hurr.)

Uhh... hm. That should go in the Question Box, I guess. Quickbuy should be fixed now, though; I looked in the logs and found the traceback.

Oh boy. It's been a while, let's hope I haven't lost what little skill I had.

EDIT:
Also, I forgot to announce, you can get a free Kalos Pokémon with its hidden ability until the end of February! Via Your Pokémon → Buy Pokémon. (Before you all rush off to get Protean Froakies, keep in mind that we may very well nerf Protean if it turns out to be as ridiculous in ASB as it is in the games.)

If you're handing out nerfs, maybe give Gale Wings a little check too.

\o/!!!

Silly question time: will it be necessary for me to re-apply as a referee, since I'm not using the same account as before and all? I mean I think I'd rather try out again in any case since I'm gonna be rusty as all hell but.

Alrighty! It's actually all coming back to me quicker than I expected, so I think I'll be fine once I get back into it.

I never played ASB before, and every time I had a look back when it was still going I didn't really know what was what because it was already in progress and I don't like joining in in the middle of things.

How easy is ASB to get into?

Back
Top Bottom