• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Baby Bug Ball Brawl

Zhorken

groove out!
Pronoun
they or she
[size=+2]Baby Bug Ball Brawl[/size]​

Format: 1 vs. 1 vs. 1 vs. ... vs. 1
Style: Set
DQ: a really long time
Damage Cap: 15% (round one); none afterwards
Banned/Restricted Moves: none
Arena Description: A ball pit made for mini bugs. Could this bee more adorable?

Additional Rules:

• The only allowed Pokémon are Caterpie, Weedle, Wurmple, Kricketot, Combee, Burmy, and Scatterbug. Big cocoons are NOT allowed in the baby playground. >:(
  • Each Pokémon starts with 30% health and energy
  • Commands will be sent in by PM, and the ref has as long as they need to post reffings. You have one week to send in commands; after that, you won't get DQ'd, but your bug won't do anything for a round.
  • Flying is neutral against Bug so that Combee is fair
  • Everyone who participates gets to fully evolve afterwards
  • This doesn't take up a battle slot and won't count towards win/loss records

Here we go!! Note that I added a 15% damage cap just for the first round. I also gave every bug without an item an Oran Berry.

Eifie's active squad
scatterbug Vermiculate Monsoon the male Scatterbug <Shield Dust> @ Choice Band

blazheirio889's active squad
combee BEES the female Combee <Honey Gather> @ Oran Berry

I liek Squirtles's active squad
kricketot Deedle Deedle Whoop the male Kricketot <Shed Skin> @ Oran Berry

Totodile's active squad
weedle Garchomp the female Weedle <Shield Dust> @ Black Sludge

Noctowl's active squad
scatterbug Olaf the male Scatterbug <Compound Eyes> @ Oran Berry

Dar's active squad
weedle Envy the male Weedle <Shield Dust> @ Eviolite

RespectTheBlade's active squad
combee Aldrin the female Combee <Honey Gather> @ Oran Berry

allitersonance's active squad
caterpie antialiasis the female Caterpie <Shield Dust> @ Lucky Egg

Grass King's active squad
scatterbug Lepidoptera the female Scatterbug <Compound Eyes> @ Metronome

Arylett Charnoa's active squad
wurmple Kukai the male Wurmple <Shield Dust> @ Oran Berry

Keldeo's active squad
scatterbug Micah the male Scatterbug <Shield Dust> @ Life Orb

Lilypad's active squad
combee Bumblethree the female Combee <Honey Gather> @ Oran Berry

Coloursfall's active squad
wurmple Swallowtail the female Wurmple <Shield Dust> @ Oran Berry

Gevaisa's active squad
scatterbug Heather the female Scatterbug <Compound Eyes> @ Oran Berry

Zora of Termina's active squad
weedle Wormy the male Weedle <Shield Dust> @ Oran Berry

Zekrom_B0lt's active squad
scatterbug Scatterbug the male Scatterbug <Compound Eyes> @ Oran Berry

Sangfroidish's active squad
combee COVERED IN BEES the female Combee <Honey Gather> @ Oran Berry

Last edited by a moderator:
that's the big baby bug brawl to you

(hello, i'm guest reffing for this. if zhorken is busy or overwhelmed i'll post here to let y'all know who still needs to command)

I was actually really upset at the lack of male Combee :'(

You say that like the whole reason we're all here isn't just for a free evolution. :P

h-hey...

tumblr_lvr9pqACy81qgksyd.gif

Last edited:
I would buy and enter a male Combee if I can have a male Vespiquen as a result... :3c (it'd mean I wouldn't be able to ref, though)

The Database does theoretically support male Vespiquen! The way the schema's set up makes it Literally Impossible to have the wrong ability, but illegal genders would work fine.

So do we PM commands to both Zhorken and Meursault since either one of them could be reffing?

Last edited:
I'm not in this, but I'm here to inform you guys that for the ASB leaderboard, this one will be scored differently.

1st place: 3 points
2nd-6th place: 2 points
7th-11th place: 1 point
12th-16th place: 0 points
17th place: -1 point

Hello everyone! This still exists! Since Zhorken is only going to be around on weekends, I'm going to find another ref for this (if anyone seeing this would like to volunteer, let me know! even if I find one, it might be best to have multiple people work together to split the workload) and see if we can get this back on track.

blazheirio889, allitersonance, and Zekrom_B0lt are eliminated since they've been banned. In addition, I'm going to be eliminating the following players, who have either left or not been around for a while, in the interest of making things... "manageable": Noctowl, Dar, Arylett Charnoa, Coloursfall, Gevaisa, and Zora of Termina. If any of you are still around, say something before the DQ period for the next round expires and we can work you back in. (The round description will likely not be updated.)

Pokémon that have targeted a bug belonging to one of the eliminated players will have their target randomized, to a bug of the same species if applicable. The randomized target will remain the same for that Pokémon for that round: that is, if someone targeted blazhy's BEES, their target might randomly be changed to Lilycolo's Bumblethree for all of the times they targeted BEES; but someone else who targeted BEES could have that target changed to RespectTheBlade's Aldrin instead.

edit: Okay, so we have no Caterpie or Wurmple remaining. Anything targeting antialiasis will now be targeting Deedle Deedle Whoop instead (sorry ILS), and as for the three Wurmple, those targets will be randomized among every species participating.

All right, so we've got Superbird and The Omskivar on board to ref. Participants, you don't need to do anything; we'll handle all the logistics of the refs changing and see if we can't get a round in before summer ends!

What? No, I'm like 75% done the first round!

EDIT: Ehhhh on second thought I'm okay with having this off my hands

Walker was really keen on helping with this way back when it started; ask her first? I'll gather up everyone's commands so I can send them to whoever.

What? No, I'm like 75% done the first round!

EDIT: Ehhhh on second thought I'm okay with having this off my hands

Walker was really keen on helping with this way back when it started; ask her first? I'll gather up everyone's commands so I can send them to whoever.

Walker's disappeared also, so yeah, send the stuff to Superbird. Would you also be okay with sending him the stuff you've already done?

Okay, I sent Superbird the stuff. Unfortunately I can't figure out where my progress on round one went. (I'm guessing I had it in the same place as the answers to the last ref quiz which I also could not find for the life of me when I went to post them.)

Also: I can't believe I gave all those bugs Oran Berries in a battle where pretty much everyone's best move is Bug Bite oh my god.

The eight Trainers gathered around the ball pit as Superbird and The Omskivar ushered the gymnasium’s populace away from the battlefield. There was no lengthy travel needed; the Asber League boasted numerous places for its denizens to entertain themselves or guests, and it was a simple matter to secure one for a battle. Actually, once word had gotten out, a veritable crowd of people had gathered to watch, as each of the participants sent out their Bug Pokemon. No regard was given for safety—after all, how much damage could be caused by such tiny, adorable creatures? Three Combee, three Scatterbug, a Weedle and a Kricketot stood or hovered with absentminded expressions.

Eifie
scatterbug.png
choice-band
Vermiculate Monsoon – Scatterbug (♂) @ Choice Band
Health: 30%
Energy: 30%
Ability: Shield Dust
Type: Bug
Condition: Looking around, wide-eyed.
Commands: Tackle ~ String Shot ~ Tackle

I liek Squirtles
kricketotoran-berry
Deedle Deedle Whoop – Kricketot (♂) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Shed Skin
Condition: Clicking his antennae together slowly.
Commands: Uproar / Snore @ closest ~ Bide / Uproar / Snore @ closest ~ Bide / Uproar / Snore @ closest

Totodile
weedleblack-sludge
Garchomp – Weedle (♀) @ Black Sludge
Type: Bug / Poison
Condition: Twitching her stinger.
Commands: Bug Bite @ Swallowtail ~ Bug Bite @ Olaf ~ Bug Bite @ Deedle Deedle Whoop

RespectTheBlade
combeeoran-berry
Aldrin – Combee (♀) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Honey Gather
Type: Bug / [Flying]
Condition: Floating absentmindedly.
Commands: None

Grass King
scatterbug.png
metronome
Lepidoptera – Scatterbug (♀) @ Metronome
Ability: Compound Eyes
Condition: Looking at the colorful balls.
Commands: Bug Bite @ Deedle Deedle Whoop ~ Bug Bite @ Olaf ~ Bug Bite @ Swallowtail

Keldeo
scatterbug.png
life-orb
Micah – Scatterbug (♂) @ Life Orb
Condition: Feeling uneasy after seeing Garchomp's stingers.
Commands: Burrow down / Bug Bite @ nearest bug / Chill x 3

Lilycolo
combeeoran-berry
Bumblethree – Combee (♀) @ Oran Berry
Condition: Wishing it was a flower pit.
Commands: Go deep inside the pit ~ Sweet Scent up ~ Swift up with wide range

Sangfroidish
combeeoran-berry
COVERED IN BEES – Combee (♀) @ Oran Berry
Condition: Scanning the surface of Lake Plasticballs.
Commands: pick up blue ball ~ Bug Bite @ Deedle Deedle Whoop ~ Bug Bite @ Kukai

Round 1

At the referees’ whistle, the five landlocked bugs jumped into the pit; Bumblethree also dove headlong into the balls, squirming her way downward through the pastel-colored plastic. Aldrin hovered slowly out over the edge of the arena, but simply watched everyone else, as COVERED IN BEES dropped to the surface of the sea of balls. She quickly selected a blue one, nesting her Oran Berry in the groove between her two top heads.

Wrapped around a ball to steady herself, Garchomp the Weedle scanned her immediate location, searching for her Scatterbug. As Lepidoptera writhed to an upright position, Garchomp spotted her, and sprang, digging her tiny Weedle mandibles into the Scatterdust Pokemon’s midsection. Micah saw this brutal first attack, and wormed, frightened, into the depths of the ballpit. Garchomp released her mouthparts and inched quickly back to her ball. She eyed Lepidoptera, who glared at the Weedle before turning her attention to Deedle Deedle Whoop, who was trying desperately to stand on two legs and still stay atop the balls. As he finally found an uneasy balance, Deedle let out a sigh, and was immediately bitten in the stomach by Lepidoptera, who gorged herself on the Kricketot’s Oran Berry.

The Kricketot’s legs waved comically in the air until he twisted himself upright and got ready to Deedle Deedle Whoop some ass. He growled at Lepidoptera, and was immediately hit in the head with something light but hard. He turned to see another Scatterbug—Vermiculate Monsoon—running around in a circle, paying no attention to the battling around him, headbutting plasting balls into a small pile. COVERED IN BEES let out a small yelp as a yellow ball bounced off of her undermost underbelly. Agitated, Deedle leaned forward and chirruped his musical antennae as boisterously as he could muster.

The sound waves were almost visible. Monsoon’s antennae blew backwards, before he cried out as his whole body was sent flying. He poked his head out of the corner of the pit in which he had landed, blinked a couple of times and scampered back to the task at hand, ignoring Deedle entirely. Instead, he crawled through his pile, spitting sticky silk on the balls.

Deedle was FURIOUS. His concerto now, ignored as well? With effort, the Cricket Pokemon brought his thrumming antennae to a grinding halt, focusing all of his energy into standing…very…still. COVERED IN BEES looked curiously at him, having expected something a little more—what was that smell? Her three heads sniffed the air, smiling, and then each other, as the odor seemed to cling to her. Finally, she spotted a small hole in the sea of balls, where the scent seemed to originate. Taking a mental note, she turned her attention back to Deedle, flying in a corkscrew and barreling into his stomach. Deedle made no movement at all, and let out only a shallow grunt as COVERED IN BEES bit down with all three of her mouths.

Garchomp lunged again at Lepidoptera, biting her further down her body, then retreating hastily, eyeing the suspiciously uninvolved Aldrin. Lepidoptera started to edge warily away from the nasty Weedle, crawling instead into a convenient hole. At the bottom of it, Micah had curled up and taken a short rest, and let out a high-pitched Scatterbuggy whine as Lepidoptera sank her single tooth into his back.

His pile of balls now condensed into more of an egg, tightly packed with adhesive bugmatter, Vermiculate Monsoon climbed atop it and surveyed the battlefield awhile. He watched as COVERED IN BEES swooped into the hole that seemed to be giving off some kind of Combee signal—then heard a yelp, and watched COVERED IN BEES emerge from the hole clutching an Oran Berry. From the hole came a cry, and six glowing stars flew in a slightly curved line to strike the thieving Combee. Looking around, Monsoon saw Aldrin, but was unsure if Aldrin saw her; past him, Garchomp turned on a new target, forcibly stabbing her mandibles into the stone-faced Deedle’s thigh.

Inside the other hole, Lepidoptera attempted her escape, but was bitten on the backside by an irate Micah. Lepidoptera pulled herself free, focusing on her escape. She exited the hole to see COVERED IN BEES, and more importantly, his blue berry. With a mighty leap (for a tiny Bug Pokemon) she hurtled to the Combee, scraping COVERED IN BEES’ carapace with her tooth as she grabbed the berry in her mouth and bit down upon landing in the ball pit. Chewing her mouthful, she instantly began to choke, spitting out pieces of mangled plastic. She threw her false prize away and poked her head from the pit to see COVERED IN BEES tip forward with a wink, rolling her Oran Berry forward to catch it with her top right mouth.

Vermiculate Monsoon surveyed all of this, then nodded knowingly. Now was his moment. He jumped down from atop his ball of balls, then licked his tiny hand and held it up, testing the wind. He backed up, gave a yell, and charged his ball-ball, headbutting it straight towards Garchomp. The Weedle’s eyes widened as she turned to see the approaching projectile; they then closed as she braced herself for impact. It hit her true, and she skidded in the balls, scrambling back to a relatively isolated area once she looked up to see the glaring eyes of the unnervingly still Deedle. The referees blew their whistles to end the round.

End of Round 1

Eifie
scatterbug.png
choice-band
Vermiculate Monsoon – Scatterbug (♂) @ Choice Band
Health: 21%
Energy: 23%
Condition: Feeling accomplished.
Actions: Tackle @ Balls ~ String Shot @ Balls ~ Tackle @ Ball ball @ Garchomp

I liek Squirtles
kricketot
Deedle Deedle Whoop – Kricketot (♂)
Health: 15% (CAPPED)
Energy: 23%
Ability: Shed Skin
Condition: . . . . .
Actions: Uproar @ Vermiculate Monsoon ~ Bide ~ Bide

Totodile
weedleblack-sludge
Garchomp – Weedle (♀) @ Black Sludge
Health: 24%
Energy: 21%
Type: Bug / Poison
Condition: Brandishing her stinger, anxious.
Actions: Bug Bite @ Lepidoptera ~ Bug Bite @ Lepidoptera ~ Bug Bite @ Deedle Deedle Whoop

RespectTheBlade
combeeoran-berry
Aldrin – Combee (♀) @ Oran Berry
Condition: Floating absentmindedly.
Actions: None

Grass King
scatterbug.png
metronome
Lepidoptera – Scatterbug (♀) @ Metronome
Energy: 21%
Ability: Compound Eyes
Condition: Wiggling her tooth to check for looseness.
Actions: Bug Bite @ Deedle Deedle Whoop ~ Bug Bite @ Micah ~ Bug Bite @ COVERED IN BEES

Keldeo
scatterbug.png
life-orb
Micah – Scatterbug (♂) @ Life Orb
Health: 22%
Energy: 27%
Condition: Unsure if he's safer inside or outside the hole.
Actions: Burrow down ~ Chill ~ Bug Bite @ Lepidoptera

Lilycolo
combee
Bumblethree – Combee (♀)
Energy: 24%
Condition: Yelling insults to COVERED IN BEES.
Actions: Go deep inside the pit ~ Sweet Scent ~ Swift

Sangfroidish
combeeoran-berry
COVERED IN BEES – Combee (♀) @ Oran Berry
Energy: 27%
Condition: Happy to still have her berry.
Actions: pick up blue ball ~ Bug Bite @ Deedle Deedle Whoop ~ Bug Bite @ Kukai​

Arena Notes
~There is a large (about the diameter of a Combee) ball of plastic ball pit balls strung together with a String Shot lying on the surface of the ball pit near Garchomp.

Referee Notes
~Deedle Deedle Whoop hit the damage cap on action 1, from Lepidoptera’s Bug Bite.
~Bumblethree hit the damage cap on action 3 from COVERED IN BEES’s Bug Bite.
~COVERED IN BEES hit the damage cap on action 3 from Lepidoptera’s Bug Bite.
~Lepidoptera ate Deedle’s Oran Berry on action 1. COVERED IN BEES attempted to do that on action 2, but found no berry. Same with Garchomp on Action 3.
~COVERED IN BEES ate Bumblethree’s Oran Berry on action 3.
~Lepidoptera ate blue plastic on Action 3, and took 2% in recoil damage, which made it hit the damage cap.
~Bumblethree’s Swift only hit COVERED IN BEES on action 3, as Micah was burrowing and everyone else was a little too far away. And also COVERED IN BEES was right in the middle of the attack and took the full brunt of it.
~PM Commands to Superbird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom