• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Best and Worst Attack Animations

I really liked Gen IV's Water Gun. It might not be my absolute favourite but, it's the only one I can think from the top of my head I really liked. I also liked Gen I's Night Shade attack.

I wasn't really a fan of any restoration moves in Gen III.

Spacial Rend is pretty neat (don't ask, I just like it), and so is Gen II Tri Attack. I also have to mention Gen I Ice Beam, the only Ice Beam animation that did justice for the attack itself.

My least favorite? Ice Beam from both Gen III and IV. Neither animation fits the power of the attack.

I really hate Red/Blue's Water Gun. Its just three blobs lazily floating over, barely touching the opponent.

I really like Platinum's Spacial Rend animation, the black fits it better than the full pink in DP.

I don't really like fourth gen's Psychic animation, it's a bit too bland in my opinion. Extrasensory is more interesting even though power-wise it should be more boring.

GSC's Screech was awful, not animation- but sound-wise. It really was earsplitting so I guess it fits the idea.
I had it ringing in my ears for quite a while when I happened to use the move with the volume cranked up.

Dislike:
The move Bubble from any Generation. It's just a bunch of delicate bubbles floating over to the opponent and popping. o.O Float...float...float...POP! I actually found it funny.
R/S/E's Hyper Beam. The heck is that? DNA?
etc.
Like:
G/S/C's Hyper Beam. Now THAT'S what I call I Hyper Beam!
D/P/Pt/Hg/Ss's Ice Beam. So pwetty...
R/S/E's Attract. I always loved that one the most.
D/P/Pt/Hg/Ss's Surf. Dunno why.
D/P/Pt/Hg/Ss's Thunder. I just loooooove it so much!
Draco Meteor from any Generation it was in. I just love it so~
R/B/G/Y's Thundershock. I loved that flashing black circle. :D

That's all for now.

Last edited:
Well, you know how Platinum's Skuntank sprite has that horrible peeing dog pose?

Whenever an opponent uses it and chooses flamethrower, it looks like it's shooting fire out of it's... Yup. Great planning on GameFreak's part.

Last edited:
I like the platinum spacial rend and perish song
Hate: confusion (gen iv) its boring wheras in gen III it had a cool background

LIKE:
Bubble. Self-explanatory (did I spell that right? :3)
Sing. The tune. The tune. It sounds so SWEET. :3

DISLIKE:
Fire Blast (GEN IV). First part - Flame Wheel? The "blast" part looks far too weak to do so much damage... a critical hit took out Whitney's Miltank. ONE HIT. WHITNEY'S MILTANK. *faint*

The Thunder moves (GEN IV). All too similar. Which one is Thunderwave again? No, that was Thundershock! Gah!

Growl (GEN IV). What the...? Since when did Chikorita emit SONIC SOUND WAVES?

Leer (GEN IV). I don't see. Leering is some sort of evil look. What is with the LIGHT? That white SPARK THING?

Foresight (GEN IV). What the. When did Hoothoot obtain a Magnifying Glass?

Water Gun (GEN IV). That... does not look like a Gun...

Curse (Ghost) (GEN IV). OMG GHASTLY KILLED ITSELF!!!! YAY!!! But then it killed my Pokemon... D: Does not look like an actual Curse.

Aura Sphere (D/P/PT). What. That looks like AURA BEAM if you ask me.

Swagger (D/P/PT). The Pokemon... inflates itself...?

String Shot (R/S/E). What. Flying dots? That is not a string, those are dots. DOTS.

Oh, I have a few more to add that I dislike. I just used them now:

Gen IV's SolarBeam. It... comes out of the sky rather than from the Pokemon. So is the Pokemon summoning Thor to deliver a SolarBeam from the sky? I always imagined the Pokemon gathering energy and then blasting the attack from itself. Not... from Thor apparently.

Gen IV's Crunch. Why is it crunching... rocks? It really loses that brutal feeling that Gen II had. I don't know about Gen III's, haven't seen it.

And some liked ones:

Gen IV's Spark. Excellent. I love the way the screen flashes and then that tackle nose it makes. It makes the move feel like it should be more powerful than it really is.

Gen IV's Flare Blitz/Brave Bird. Only Generation it's appeared in thus far, but really does it justice. It has this brutal WHOA feeling, the way the Pokemon tackles the opponent. Same with Brave Bird. I like the little red flashy things that go towards the foe.

Also @Enkoe: Aura Beam so needs to be an attack.

Hate: confusion (gen iv) its boring wheras in gen III it had a cool background

I agree - Gen III had some cool backgrounds for most attacks and Gen IV just seemed to take them away. I always thought that the backgrounds made the attacks look more supernatural, showing that it was Pokemon fighting, not just mere animals.

DISLIKE:
Leer (GEN IV). I don't see. Leering is some sort of evil look. What is with the LIGHT? That white SPARK THING?

Swagger (D/P/PT). The Pokemon... inflates itself...?

For these, I think it's meant to be an eye-glint as a leer, as so often happens in anime. The eye being the thing that glints doesn't always work, though, given how where the eye of the Pokemon is varies massively from sprite to sprite.

And I always thought of the inflating to be like the Pokemon puffing themselves up to make themselves look more impressive. I really liked it, actually, though the opposing Pokemon getting really angry didn't make a lot of sense.

Gen IV's Crunch. Why is it crunching... rocks? It really loses that brutal feeling that Gen II had. I don't know about Gen III's, haven't seen it.

Agreein' with this. Crunch was so scary in GSC - Karen's Houndoom was pretty much the only thing that ever had it, and it'd just go MASH MASH MASH and you knew you were going to die horribly. Good times.

Cosmic Power is so kool. Also, thunder/thunderwave/thundershock from red/blue. Its a ball, the same ball, for all of them. I just dont see it.

I dislike Tackle and Headbutt in any one of the games. It's just a jump forward, and the opponet jumps back.

Back
Top Bottom