• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Business Approval Office

Ah, didn't see the earlier post. In that case, yes, you're approved to start the berry business, once you pay for it.

As you walk around the square, you spot a building. It looks a bit like a supermarket, but all you see inside is a counter with an attendant. Curiosity wins you over, and you walk inside. A synthesized bell tone rings. An attendant walks up to you, and says "Hi! Welcome to the Pokémon Lotto shop! We not only sell tickets that can win you money, but we sell tickets that can win you items or Pokémon!" She hands you a piece of paper with their wares and prices on it:

The Pokémon Lottery

Ticket ----- Cost ----- Winnings

Normal Ticket ----- $3 ----- $5
Good Ticket ----- $5 ----- $10
Ultra Ticket ----- $10 ----- $20
New! Poké Ticket ----- $8/[cost of random Pokémon] ----- A random Pokémon*
New! Resource Ticket ----- $6/[cost of random item] ----- A random item**

There will be a drawing for each ticket every weekend, usually on Saturday. However, if there is only one ticket purchased in a certain ticket category, then the drawing will be canceled and the ticket money will be refunded to the buyer.

*The random Pokémon's rarity level is determined by the total cost of all Poké Tickets purchased during the current drawing week. The cost of the Pokémon will not exceed this price.

**The random item will not cost more than the total cost of all Resource Tickets purchased during the current drawing week.

Last edited:
I take it that the pokémon given out are only baby/basic stage? For a while, the slash there confused me because I thought that it meant the cost to play was $8 divided by the pokémon's cost. I'd just get rid of that altogether, and the "cost of random item" as well.

Other than that, fine. Overheads are, in order, $1/$2/$6/$4/$2.

Yes, the Pokémon will be in baby or basic stage.
The slashes were there because I forgot to erase them when I remembered that you make the overheads, not me.
How much will the business cost?

I'll hope I get enough money to open this soon, if it's approved, of course!^^

Just outside the plaza, you spot a simply building. Through the window you see shelves of brightly colored paper. At the till, someone is bending over a Pokeball, wrapping it in a beautiful blue paper. Then she takes a tag and splaces three stickers on it, and scribbles a message. She attaches the tag to the present, then takes an ordinary paper and envelope, and write a message. She places the whole bundle on the shelf, where someone else comes and picks up the letter to go mail. Intrigued, you walk inside to see what the business is for.

Jolty's Gift Shop

You walk in, and see someone sitting at the counter, wrapping gift. The whole store is covered with shelves of multicolored wrapping paper. Little envelopes and stickers are placed prettily in a corner by the till. Looking up, the girl at the till smiles at you and says, "Hello! I'm Jolty, the owner. How may I help you?"

At Jolty's Gift Shop, you can give gifts to friends wrapped in special paper, and with a special tag. Prices depend on the Pokemon; evolved Pokemon are more money. Your friend will receive a special PM with a message written by you! Customize your tag for a special look.

Package Prices: (depends on pokemon)

Basic Pokemon of three stage evolution: 2$
Second Pokemon of three stage evolution: 3$
Last stage of three stage evolution: 4$

Basic of two stage evolution: 3$
Last of two stage evolution: 4$

No evolution pokemon: 3$

Tags:

Tags are free with purchase, of course, but adding stickers costs more.

Six basic pokemon stickers: 2$
Four secondary stage Pokemon stickers: 3$
Two final evolution stickers: 4$
One legendary sticker: 3$

Also, you can chosse a color scheme for your sticker, along with an edit, free of charge. Simply express what you want. Also, choose a color for your tag.

Gifts can technically be given for free at the Black Market. Obviously, since it's just a post there, the giver can easily send a message along with the pokemon as well. Graphics don't really add anything to the pokemon, if you're offering to do some artwork.

What would be the point of this business, with the Black Market already here?

Oh, I didn't know that you could do that with the black market! Oops. I guess there really wouldn't be a point for it in that case.

Would it be possible to have joint ownership of a business, where 2 people own the business and collect profits, etc. if both people contributed to the idea? or something?

Well, it wasn't me he was talking about or maybe it was we'll never know, but..?

I'm ready to open my business, but can I change the prices a little?:

As you walk around the square, you spot a building. It looks a bit like a supermarket, but all you see inside is a counter with an attendant. Curiosity wins you over, and you walk inside. A synthesized bell tone rings. An attendant walks up to you, and says "Hi! Welcome to the Pokémon Lotto shop! We not only sell tickets that can win you money, but we sell tickets that can win you items or Pokémon!" She hands you a piece of paper with their wares and prices on it:

The Pokémon Lottery

Ticket ----- Cost ----- Winnings

Normal Ticket ----- $2 ----- $5
Good Ticket ----- $4 ----- $10
Ultra Ticket ----- $7 ----- $20
New! Poké Ticket ----- $8 ----- A random Pokémon*
New! Resource Ticket ----- $6 ----- A random item**

There will be a drawing for each ticket every weekend, usually on Saturday. However, if there is only one ticket purchased in a certain ticket category, then the drawing will be canceled and the ticket money will be refunded to the buyer.

*The random Pokémon's rarity level is determined by the total cost of all Poké Tickets purchased during the current drawing week. The cost of the Pokémon will not exceed this price.

**The random item will not cost more than the total cost of all Resource Tickets purchased during the current drawing week.

A few prices in my business are a little wonky as a result of me not thinking their placement through properly/not checking the ASB descriptions, so I just wanted to run the changes by you.

---

Directly damaging attacks (Scratch, Giga Impact, Fire Punch): To determine the price of your move, take its base power and divide it by ten (round down if it ends in 5 or lower and up if it ends in 6 or higher). So, for example, Earthquake would cost $10.

Offensive moves with no fixed base power:
-Magnitude, Present, Psywave (?): $7
-Arm Thrust, Barrage, Bullet Seed, Comet Punch, Doubleslap, Fury Attack, Fury Swipes, Icicle Spear, Pin Missile, Twineedle: $4
-Triple Kick: $5
-Bone Rush, Double Hit, Double Kick, Rock Blast, Spike Cannon: $6
-Bonemerang: $10
-Fling, Frustration, Grass Knot, Gyro Ball, Low Kick, Night Shade, Natural Gift, Return, Seismic Toss: $8
-Bide, Endeavor, Flail, Pain Split, Reversal, Trump Card, Wring Out: $10
-Spit Up, Super Fang: $15

Mimicry Moves (Copycat, Assist, Mirror Move, Metronome, Me First, Mimic, Nature Power and Sleep Talk): $8

Weather Moves, Gravity, Tailwind and Trick Room: $10

Stat-Altering Moves (Swords Dance, Tail Whip, Cosmic Power, etc.): $5 for moves that change a stat by one level, $8 for moves that change stats by two levels/change two stats

Direct Status-Inflicting Moves (Poisonpowder, Thunder Wave, etc.): $8

Direct Healing Moves (Recover, Synthesis, etc.): $10

All Other Non-Damaging Attacks: $8

---

Price/Overhead Summary:

Offensive moves w/no fixed power: 7/3, 4/2, 5/2, 6/3, 8/4, 10/5, 15/9
Mimicry moves: 8/4
Weather moves, Gravity, Tailwind, Trick Room: 10/5
Stat-altering moves: 5/2, 8/4
Status-inflicting moves: 8/4
Direct healing moves: 10/5
Everything else: 8/4

Multi-hit moves were the biggest problem, really; I forgot to make the cost approximately equal to the average damage dealt as I did with some of the other variable-damage attacks. Made Bide and the mimicry moves just a little bit cheaper. Approximated the overheads based on other moves with the same price.

I'm not sure what to do about Psywave anymore, because now I look at its ASB description it's not clear--the damage it does is a multiple of the user's exp x10, but what if the user has no exp? Now I think it should be slightly cheaper than $7, but... yeah.

Also, a question: When I first put the prices for most of these moves together I was going based on PASBU/opaltiger's shop's prices, or what I remembered about them. This was stuff like moves costing the same as their base power, or Counter/Mirror Coat being really expensive. If those were the sort of prices you were looking for, why does Walker's shop sell the same moves for much lower prices? Am I charging too much or is he not charging enough?

I'd like to get a business approved. Dragon and I are planning to run this together.

---------------------------

Near the edge of ASB Central, a huge mix-up of buildings and vendors pushing their carts, people talking and trading items and such, a small, non-descript building opens its' doors for the morning. The building itself doesn't seem like anything special; plain pale brown bricks and a sign over the door, not very fancy.

Dragon's Den Tavern

A look though the window would show some very odd things on display: various shelves of bottles, a glass countertop displaying all sorts of things for who knows what, and quickly churning machines. If one went inside, they would see an odd assortment of things that couldn't possibly be used for battling in any way.

The first thing that would catch your eye is a larger, more impressive sign that reiterates the store’s name in a bold blue. Rising up from behind the sign is a dragon, with impossibly silvery scales and glowing blue markings. Its mouth is agape, showing several sharp teeth. After getting over your initial shock of seeing such a vicious serpent in such a humble store, you’d realize it was just a model, held up by thin but strong strings dangling from the ceiling.

To get to the good stuff you'd have to ask the cashier and partial store owner… who happened to be a girl with bird wings looking around the age of thirteen. She would wave to you from the door and point to one wall, if you could stop staring at her wings.

"The good stuff is all over there," she would say. "And of course, everything we sell is one time use only. While you can buy stuff to eat here, the things you can use in battle will have to be take-out, obviously. You can equip whatever you purchase to your Pokemon as a hold item, and it will be consumed in battle if it’s commanded to be used. Everything we sell is made in-store! Stick around a bit and you might catch some Lemonade or Lava Cookies being made; maybe you'll get to sample some!"

The first place the girl would direct your attention to would be a wall with a large fridge and shelves. "This is the wall where we keep our main stock of stuff," she'd say. "If something restores 'on command', it doesn't take an action to use, and could be used like 'Flamethrower ~ Flamethrower + use Moomoo Milk ~ Flamethrower', for example. If something takes an action to use, it'll say so."

Beverages
Honey ($4): A clear jar of thick, sweet, honey. Restores 5% health upon command.
Moomoo Milk ($4): A bottle of fresh 2% Miltank milk. Restores 10% energy upon command.
Fresh Water ($7): A plastic bottle of natural spring water. Restores 12% health, though use takes one action.
Soda Pop ($7): A slim bottle of lemon-lime pop. Restores 25% energy, though use takes one action.
Lemonade ($8): A can of freshly squeezed lemonade. Restores either 15% health or 20% energy, randomly upon command. Use takes one action.
Berry Juice ($3): A small container of freshly ground berry juice. Lessens the effects or removes one major or minor status condition upon command. (from severe to moderate, from moderate to light, mild and light statuses are removed)

Snacks
New Gateau ($5): A dark purple block of an odd chewy substance, recipe originating from one found in the Old Chateau. Removes one major status effect upon infliction. (burn, paralysis, poison, freeze, sleep)
Lava Cookie ($3): An oddly coloured cookie originating from Lavaridge Town. Removes one minor status effect upon infliction. (confusion, infatuation)
Energy Root ($6): A tough but energy packed root. Restores 20% energy upon command.
Heal Powder ($7): A fine green powder with healing properties. Removes all status conditions from the holder upon command.

The second place the girl would drag you over to would be a table with various jars of jellybeans, or what appear to be jellybeans. "These are gummis, with a recipe taken from a far away place," she would introduce them, seeming reluctant to discuss where they came from. "They're one use, and aren't recommended to be fed to humans. The people stuff is over there. Oh, and an 'excellent mood' is definable by your battle's referee."

Gummis
White Gummi ($5): A plain white gummi tasting of cheap vanilla. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Normal-type attacks.
Silver Gummi ($5): A hard silver gummi tasting of motor oil. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Steel-type attacks.
Purple Gummi ($5): A translucent purple gummi tasting of death. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Ghost-type attacks.
Brown Gummi ($5): A speckled brown gummi tasting of dirt. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Ground-type attacks.
Yellow Gummi ($5): A bright yellow gummi tasting of static electricity and thunderstorms. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Electric-type attacks.
Orange Gummi ($5): A moist orange gummi tasting of sweat, tears, and effort. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Fighting-type attacks.
Black Gummi ($5): A pitch black gummi tasting of shadows and mystery. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Dark-type attacks.
Pink Gummi ($5): A blotchy pink gummi that leaves a sour taste in your mouth. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Poison-type attacks.
Blue Gummi ($5): A swirly blue gummi tasting of the ocean. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Water-type attacks.
Gold Gummi ($5): A shining gold gummi tasting of energy. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Psychic-type attacks.
Green Gummi ($5): A vibrant green gummi tasting slightly like honey and dead bugs. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Bug-type attacks.
Grey Gummi ($5): A chunky grey gummi tasting of rocks and gravel. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Rock-type attacks.
Grass Gummi ($5): A streaked green gummi tasting of freshly cut grass. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Grass-type attacks.
Clear Gummi ($5): A clear gummi tasting of cold, broken glass. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Ice-type attacks.
Royal Gummi ($5): A partially blue-purple gummi tasting of bravery, mystery and other inedible things. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Dragon-type attacks.
Red Gummi ($5): An oddly hot red gummi tasting of magma. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Fire-type attacks.
Sky Gummi ($5): A blue and white gummi tasting of clouds. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 25% damage boost to Flying-type attacks.
Mysterious Gummi ($7): A mysterious colour-changing gummi tasting of whatever you want it to. When the holder is in an excellent mood, it will automatically consume the gummi to gain a 10% damage boost to all attacks.

The girl would then direct that hypothetical customer towards a corner of the counter where various buns seem to be cooking in small breadmakers, and pats an assortment of empty bins on display under the counter. "We also have some Poffins for sale, over here. If you want some, you'll need to have a Poffin case to put it in, though if you buy a Poffin case you get half off a regular Poffin of your choice with it; that would be $4. An 'excellent mood' is definable by your battle's referee."

Poffins
Poffin Case ($12): A rectangular case with two drawers used to hold Poffin. The drawers are divided into six sections for each flavour and one for mixed flavour Poffins.
Spicy Poffin ($7): A rather spicy Poffin made from the finest Figy berries. When the holder is in an excellent mood, he/she/it will eat the Poffin and receive a +2 boost to Attack that can't be dispelled until recalled.
Dry Poffin ($7): An incredibly dry Poffin made from the ripest Wiki berries. When the holder is in an excellent mood, he/she/it will eat the Poffin and receive a +2 boost to Special Attack that can't be dispelled until recalled.
Sweet Poffin ($7): A painfully sweet Poffin made from the freshest Mago berries. When the holder is in an excellent mood, he/she/it will eat the Poffin and receive a +2 boost to Speed that can't be dispelled until recalled.
Sour Poffin ($7): An almost unnaturally sour Poffin made from the most colourful Iapapa berries. When the holder is in an excellent mood, he/she/it will eat the Poffin and receive a +2 boost to Defense that can't be dispelled until recalled.
Bitter Poffin ($7): A mouth-numbingly bitter Poffin made from the largest and juiciest Aguav berries. When the holder is in an excellent mood, he/she/it will eat the Poffin and receive a +2 boost to Special Defense that can't be dispelled until recalled.

After showing the customer the regular Poffins, the girl would take the cover off of a tray to display a bunch of different Poffins that don't appear to be very normal. "Here're our specialty Poffins," she'd say. "These Poffins aren't included in the offer if you buy a Poffin case, though these are the most interesting ones, in my opinion."

Odd Poffin ($4): A multicoloured Poffin made by substituting Berry Juice for actual Berries. When the holder is in an excellent mood, he/she/it will eat the Poffin and receive +1 boosts to two different, random stats and a -2 deduction to a different stat that can't be dispelled until recalled.
Burnt Poffin ($4): A dark Poffin that seems to have been burnt on purpose, made from a mix of Berries. When the holder is in an excellent mood, he/she/it will eat the Poffin and receive a +2 boost to a random stat that can't be dispelled until recalled as well as moderate burns, paralysis or poisoning.
Curious Poffin ($12): A high-grade Poffin shipped in from Hearthome City. When the holder is in an excellent mood, he/she/it will eat the Poffin and receive a +3 boost to a random stat that can't be dispelled until recalled.

After you had made your purchases, a chipper teenage girl, presumably the other store owner, would come out from the back and fastidiously package each item before stuffing them into a larger bag. As she waves goodbye and thanks you for your patronage, you could swear you saw the merest flicker of glowing blue markings wrapped around her head. The illusion fades after you blink, and you’d shake your head and tell yourself you were imagining things.

Last edited:
Kratos Aurion

The prices look generally okay, but you may want to move spit up down a level in pricing to sit with wring out et al, as I'm going to be nerfing it on my next sweep through the attack guide (which should be... soon); just realized that it's currently possible to win with it in one round in a no-damage-cap environment (Stockpile (25%) ~ Stockpile (25%) ~ Spit Up), so it needs to get nerfed a little. Psywave does a minimum 1% damage, something else to fix... in any case, it should be in the same class as night shade, as their effects are identical. I have mixed feelings about what the exact pricing should be--they are both as powerful as earthquake when maxed out, but granted, there are few pokémon with enough experience to use them to anything like their full potential. Dunno, maybe $7 is about right.

Other than that, looks good, and the overheads are correct as you've listed them.

Walker's prices are lower because there are more stringent restrictions on what pokémon can learn what from his shop (perhaps too stringent... for example, wouldn't nothing be able to learn counter under the current rules?).

blazheirio889

Unfortunately, I'd really prefer to keep items available limited to actual held items at this time. That aside, if you're looking to create a new business, you should know that many of the effects you've listed here are too powerful. Additionally, "when the pokémon is in an excellent mood" is an undesirable condition for effects to trigger because it is highly subjective; personally, I would say that it's very rare that pokémon are *that* happy during battle, but I'm sure interpretations would vary very widely.

All of the poffin effects, for example, and I don't know why one would buy a poffin case--it's not held, is it? I guess you just wanted to limit the number of poffins a player could have at once? Seems unnecessary, anyhow. The odd poffin and burnt poffin are appropriately balanced, but they should be much more expensive, and the curious poffin is not balanced at all.

It should be noted that "upon command" is the equivalent of "takes one action" for all the other items made so far--if you have to command it, it means you need to write it in your command summary and it therefore costs an action. No item should be able to restore more than 15% health or energy, and there should be drawbacks/a specific trigger associated with one that powerful. Many of the non-poffin, non-gummy effects are duplicates of effects already held by berries.

Aside from the aforementioned trigger issue, the gummis have acceptable effects.

Back
Top Bottom