• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Challenge Board

Alright, i really want to do ASB so i can't wait to submit a challenge.

Format: 2v2 Singles
Style: Switch. We can switch out our Pokémon in a way similar to playing against NPCs in pokémon video games.
DQ: Like a week or so. A little more is fine but TRY AND KEEP IT TO A WEEK.
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves
Arena Description: A tournament at a small dojo, there were about 8 trainers and me and whoever else moved up the ranks, ready for a battle. This is a tournament for trainers just setting off on their journey, so evolved pokémon aren't welcome here.
Additional Rules:
Again, no evolved pokémon.

@IndigoEmmy @myuma

@Sandstone-Shadow and I will pick this one up! She'll do the writing and I'll do the numbers. SS will put up a thread soon! (note to SS: they changed the battle to 3v3 singles)

IndigoEmmy, could you clarify the mechanics for how you want switching to work? Normally the switching mechanics in ASB are a bit different from the games, but I forget how exactly they work; I think the round ends at the end of the action where someone switches.

Uhh... switch whenever you want, and when an opponent sends out a pokémon you can send out a different pokémon then the one already out.

Uhh... switch whenever you want, and when an opponent sends out a pokémon you can send out a different pokémon then the one already out.
Okay so say I'm commanding second and I decide to switch Pokémon on my second action. Is it like, the round ends after the second action, and also the other person can choose to switch their Pokémon without using an action?

Or do you mean: switching works as normal, but when you KO an opponent's Pokémon, they choose a new Pokémon to send out and you can also choose to switch then?

Is it like, the round ends after the second action, and also the other person can choose to switch their Pokémon without using an action?

I think this is what Emmy means (though I’ll wait for her to confirm...)

I do have my own question though: my Solosis is holding a Life Orb and has the Magic Guard ability. In the games this would mean it doesn’t take damage from Life Orb, but it still gains the power boost. Is it the same in ASB?

Thanks to you and Sandstone-Shadow for agreeing to ref!

Gotcha!

And yes, that's how the Life Orb should work.

I'll remind SS to put up the thread today.

Gotcha!

And yes, that's how the Life Orb should work.

I'll remind SS to put up the thread today.

YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY thanks so much Eifie and Sandstone-Shadow i'm sooooo exited!!!!!!!!
also...
I do have my own question though: my Solosis is holding a Life Orb and has the Magic Guard ability. In the games this would mean it doesn’t take damage from Life Orb, but it still gains the power boost. Is it the same in ASB?

good strategy, now i know it hee hee hee! but wait, my hatterene has a life Orb and the magic guard ability and she still takes damage from it so is this new in SwSh or...

EDIT: lol she has the magic bounce ability. ok my bad.
EDIT #2: I got the 1000th post in this thread, wow!

EDIT 3?: Without trying to sound like an impatient little kid (which, imao, is kind of what i am waiting for my first anime style battle), when is the thread going to be created i can hardly wait. I feel tempted to ping.

Last edited:
So, I'd really love to try out ASB - would anybody want to battle me?

Format: 3v3 Single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 Week
Damage Cap: 25%
Banned/Restricted Moves: -
Arena Description: A small, hard-packed dirt field with nothing standing in the way of the two Pokemon duking it out.
Additional Rules: Unevolved Pokemon only.

someone battle this man, I voluntell @Sandstone-Shadow to help me ref the battle

btw @Mr. Ultracool I would recommend having a damage cap higher than 25% and/or limiting the use of direct healing moves to prevent the battle from dragging on forever; especially with such a low damage cap a Pokémon could really easily heal off all the damage taken in a single round and restore most of the energy expended with just a single Chill. if you're wondering about what are reasonable numbers, a 35-40% damage cap is usually a good amount (I guess the first post of this thread is sort of out-of-date, haha), and you could also choose to add a restriction such as "1 direct healing move per Pokémon" or even banning direct heals altogether depending on how you want your battle to go! if you like 25%, banning direct heals altogether would probably be the best way to go to have a reasonable-speed battle with that damage cap.

Last edited:
I'd love to take you up! Also happy with Eifie's rule suggestions. I can't do 3v3 though - I only have two Pokémon so far.

I'd love to take you up! Also happy with Eifie's rule suggestions. I can't do 3v3 though - I only have two Pokémon so far.
There are a bunch of free Pokémon looking for trainers in the trading post thread, if one happens to catch your eye!

@Mr. Ultracool let me know what you decide on for the rules, and then we'll get this started.

@Mr. Ultracool let me know what you decide on for the rules, and then we'll get this started
Thanks for telling me what kind of rules are usually used here - I just copied them together from various posts here 😅

Format: 3v3 Single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 Week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: -
Arena Description: A small, hard-packed dirt field with nothing standing in the way of the two Pokemon duking it out.
Additional Rules: Unevolved Pokemon only.

Back
Top Bottom