• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Conservatism

If you think that the reason some people don't like Obama is because he is black, then you need to seriously examine your ideology.

Also people need to stop being so ridiculously oversensitive towards racism. It's bad, but it's going away, and to be honest I think 50 years from now racism in the US will be almost entirely gone. It's not worth analyzing in extreme depth. Although "everyone's a little bit racist" is certainly true, except for maybe some little kids and autistic people. Although when I was a little kid I was totally racist myself.

-I believe that the constitution is not a "living" document.

The founders intended the constitution to be the constant rule of law and to shape all of Congress's laws. Otherwise, they wouldn't have added an amendment section, could we interpret it as we saw fit.

*Facepalm* The Constitution is a living document you idiot. The amendments are what make it such. Go take an American Government class.

*Facepalm* The Constitution is a living document you idiot. The amendments are what make it such. Go take an American Government class.

*Facepalm*

Learn what the common use of "living document" is you idiot. Here, I'll help, it's that the constitution has grown obsolete over the past years and in order to maintain it as our style of government it must be interpreted loosely.

Also, Zeta, I love you. You put that whole racism issue in a nutshell.

By a US perspective, lol. My parents dad recently left the Republican party because he thought it (Karl Rove to be exact) was too liberal. You would be mind-boggled by how conservative it is.

*Facepalm*

Learn what the common use of "living document" is you idiot. Here, I'll help, it's that the constitution has grown obsolete over the past years and in order to maintain it as our style of government it must be interpreted loosely.

Also, Zeta, I love you. You put that whole racism issue in a nutshell.

*facepalm*

read the freaking definition, you idiot:

wikipedia said:
A living document or dynamic document is a document which may be continually edited and updated by either a limited or unrestricted group. A simple example of a living document is an article in Wikipedia, in contrast to "dead" or "static" documents, such as an article in a single edition of the Encyclopædia Britannica.

Oh my god.

How can you possibly be so irritatingly patronising with nothing to back it up with? That is just. so NOT what a living document is, where do you even get these ideas?

Exactly! Live and let live and all that cool, smooth jazz. And Pentimento, you legend. That's what was playing in my head when I was talking about everyone hating everyone xD

XD Seriously...

I don't think the situation between the Scots, Welsh, English and Irish is comparable to the racial tension in the United States.

Also, wow. Way to minimize the damage racism does to people!

Racial damage? NO one here takes it seriously really anymore. What are you in, the 1930's?

Racial damage? NO one here takes it seriously really anymore. What are you in, the 1930's?
Yeah, it's not like anyone recently lost their job simply because they related a story where they overcame their prejudices against poor white people and certain members of the Republican Party decided to take their comments out of context and go on about how that clearly meant they hated white people!

... Wait.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not like anyone recently lost their job simply because they related a story where they overcame their prejudices against poor white people and certain members of the Republican Party decided to take their comments out of context and go on about how that clearly meant they hated white people!

... Wait.

Those stories are just a bunch of bullshit. I'm not saying that what happened is false, it's that people just bring it up for sympathy and a government check. I mean damn, come on. Why is everyone bitching about what things that have been done to their ancestors in the past? Hell, I sure didn't enslave her, or most likely her parents, or grandparents. Or did my parents enslave them, or my grandparents. That's like saying that New Zealand's people are cannibals because the natives there did to their enemies way back then. I'm not saying what our ancestors did is justified, just, I'm not them. Neither are you. Nowadays, racism is mostly joking around. Eventually I think there wont be any.

I've heard about the whole shirley Sherrod fiasco thing, and all I can say is it wasn't republicans who got her fired.

Furthermore, maybe it's just in my community, but the black people seem to be the ones who actually do bad things, which means they're the ones who should be incarcerated. Consider that, possibly, there are reasons something happens other than racism? (Although following blacks around the store is just racist.)

People saying "Oh yeah I voted FOR that nigger" definitely proves that the hatred of Obama is race-based. right.

Cirrus, how can you say I have nothing to back it up with? after all, I was basically copy pasting Jason's response with different fill-in-the-blanks, being no more condescending than he was!

It was Republicans who created the stir.
I think the White House acted horribly and was too quick to judge it. I am not pleased at all, and I haven't found anyone else knowledgeable about the incident who thought they acted properly.

It was the White House who said it was Fox News who created the stir. But I hadn't actually seen a single story of Fox stirring it up, and I'm an avid watcher. Find a link to one if you will.

First of all, wow.
Second of all, the reason many black people have to resort to crime and such to live is because they have to live in poverty-stricken segregated areas. Look at this: 30 percent of black Americans in Illinois live in poverty compared with only 8 percent of white Americans. And poverty forces people to do things they wouldn't do normally.

So if it's not racism, what is it? I think there's a good deal of intersection with classism here, too, but I'm not knowledgeable on that subject.

Well, for one thing, if not racism it could be gang violence. I know that in Baltimore city, there is a huge black-gang rivalry both amongst themselves and against hispanic gangs. This could be called classism/a result of their environment, I guess, but I don't think it's racism.

Uh, yeah, it shows that even though they voted for him, they still have the gall to call him a nigger? It shows a disheartening lack of respect and just complete rudeness to call someone that. It's a very dehumanizing term and voting for him makes no difference.

Yes, OK, but it still doesn't back your claim that the opposition to Obama is race-based. It just says that the support of Obama is.

*Facepalm*

Eh, I was taught that it was a "living document" because it's constantly changing due to the ability to add amendments to it.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...fficial-admitting-withheld-help-white-farmer/

:)

Oh, and the original post by Andrew Breitbart:
http://biggovernment.com/abreitbart/2010/07/19/video-proof-the-naacp-awards-racism2010/

Heck, go ahead and have a timeline of events! I know it's Media Matters, but the actual timeline isn't biased. Please take a look at it.

The Fox article was written after she got fired. Brietbart might have been stirring the pot to get Sherrod fired, but there are always people who will resort to the lowest common denominator to hurt the other side, isn't that right Media Matters? They in no way showed that the fox article was written AFTER sherrod was fired.

And the fact that these gangs are formed on racial lines mean nothing to you? And that there are more black people and Hispanic people in poverty than white people?
If poverty is disproportionately affecting people of color, then it's no longer just classism and has started to intersect with racism.

A gang of black people being started by a black person and including black people does not show me any racism, you?

Okay now we're starting to make sense here. If a larger percentage of colored people than whites are poor, that does indicate racism. It also indicates that affirmative action is not doing its job, because, like I said, the government being a monopoly has a large tendency to not care and flub it up.

Wow, you're the perfect Republican - twisting my words to make it into something doesn't even make sense.

First of all, if someone says "I voted for that nigger," it does NOT mean that they voted for him because he was black. Heck, it implies "I voted for him despite his blackness."

And what about every other link I posted showing a Republican calling Obama something like "uppity" or a "Luo tribesman" or suggesting he hates white people (you watch Fox News; you should be familiar with that clip)? Why did you ignore those?

Suggesting Obama hates white people? I've seen the clip of the NBPP hating white people and Obama giving them a pardon, but...

Oh, and JT, I misspoke. When I said the constitution is not a living document, I meant, "The constitution is not a living constitution," but that sounds stupid.

Sorry I know I am a few posts behind, but I was kicked off the net last night.

Yes yes I realize that the democrats were all the conservatives and shtuff but the flip happened earlier than for when you give it credit. I place the swap at Wilson.

You can't "place" the flip anywhere, it happened when it happened.

Also, even the "liberal" republicans back then would rank no higher than "moderate" nowadays.

Do you know what a moderate is? Since when is political association a rank?

Using this logic, C2K, you would be racist for implying that my despise of Obama is race-based.

Didn't I just get done saying EVERYONE is racist? Including myself.

Furthermore, I refuse to stand around while you guys have called me racist in the past. This isn't a kid standing next to a broken store window. This is the innocent teen tried in court.

Seriously? You're playing victim? That's this whole thread isn't it? You're acting like we are attacking you, yet you fuel our fires by bringing it up all the time! People have different views get over it.

Sorry but it seems like you are seeking attention rather than wanting a true intellectual arguement.

Otherwise, using your logic, standing up for yourself in the face of accusation automatically proves guilt.

You seriously lack imagination; it was a parable my friend.

Thanks for being callous, dismissive, and ignorant.

Here's a personal tale of how racism in the justice system affected a woman's son! Please look at this. There are almost twice as many black people incarcerated nationally than there are white people even though in 2008 black people made up around 12% of the United States. Here's a post of mine from the reverse racism topic:

Also, 1930s? Jeez, the least you could have done was say 1960s.

Read the goddamn story. That you are talking about slavery shows that you seriously have not read the freaking article. This woman was under heavy pressure from the White House to resign because a speech of hers was cut up and taken out of context to make her look like she was racist against whites. It conveniently ignored the rest of her speech where she said that eventually, she realized that it was wrong to deny a person help because of their race and she managed to help the white people coming to her for help.

Why would someone take the clip out of context? To make an organization devoted to the advancement of PoC seem racist against whites, of course. What other point would there have been in cutting the clip at that point?

Poverty Rates? Really? Soon the whole country will be in poverty as far as that's concerned if things keep going the way they are. Yes, there is still racism. I said that. But it's almost non-existent unless people make it so by blowing stories up. Think about it. Those were about 3 stories of racism that affected peoples live extremely. Let's see the whole pop. of the USA:

Wikipedia said:
Population
- 2010 estimate 310,330,000

3/310,330,000 cases of racism provided counter-acting over 310 mill. I'm not saying there is only three cases, I'm sure many have not had publicity/not presented. The real number is probably around 700+/310,330,000. Still, that's a low. Low measurement. That means around 2% est. So seven percent is heavily affected of the WHOLE population. That shouldn't be there at all, yet it's there. Soon it will shrink, 1 percent, and then 0. But see how little it affects otherwise the USA as a whole? 1930 was not correct. Your right 1960 is better. I messed up. But assuming 1960 was what I said.... Racism was HUGE back then. You should know. I'm not going to explain that further, but that was then. This is now. Racism is near extinction.

Back
Top Bottom