• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Dictatorships

dictators in general don't work. its like comunisim. its great on paper, but installed in society with so many variables, it falls apart. this particular case is interesting. this has rippled over from Egypt, and other places in the middle-east. America wants it over and done with because if oil isn't doing well the American currency the whole rest of the world is tied to will fail. i personally with he needs to leave, but he's held a position of power for so long he doesn't want to let that go. i know I wouldn't. but he needs to go. it would be much better publicity for him to leave now.

I know this sounds selfish, but damn freaking gas prices are insane. If this keeps up they're saying it's going to be $4.19 a gallon.

I know this sounds selfish, but damn freaking gas prices are insane. If this keeps up they're saying it's going to be $4.19 a gallon.

Haha, your prices are nothing compared to ours. I can't find a direct, current comparison (for reasons passing understanding, US gallons and UK gallons are actually different sizes), but in 2005, it'd cost you 26p/$0.56 a litre, and us 81p/$1.87 for the same.
And I know that it's more than £1 a litre now, so.

I think it's a great thing, though, because it forces people to by economical cars. My family has two cars (a Citroen C3 and Peugeot 107), which both do over 60 miles per gallon.

See I'm poor and my car is from 1995, and did I mention I make less than 30,00 dollars a year and for some reason I OWE when I did my taxes. *Grumblemumble* It's getting to the point I might need a new job since there are no busses to my work.

dictators in general don't work. its like comunisim. its great on paper, but installed in society with so many variables, it falls apart. this particular case is interesting. this has rippled over from Egypt, and other places in the middle-east. America wants it over and done with because if oil isn't doing well the American currency the whole rest of the world is tied to will fail. i personally with he needs to leave, but he's held a position of power for so long he doesn't want to let that go. i know I wouldn't. but he needs to go. it would be much better publicity for him to leave now.

wait, in what way is a dictatorship "great on paper"?

wait, in what way is a dictatorship "great on paper"?
A dictatorship as described in Plato's Republic would pretty much be awesome. The only people allowed to rule are the philosophers (aka all the intelligent people), and they have to live in near-poverty so as to be incorruptible. They only make choices that would be beneficial for the state, and everyone else goes about their life in their roles (you probably know this but for those who don't: you basically have three classes: the philosophers, the soldiers and everyone else).
Having one ruler for an extended period of time is also good in the sense that you need an extended period of time to do anything really good, instead of the retarded political swing from right to left that happens every election because the average person is fucking impatient and expects a politician to be elected, go 'wololo aweia homala' and all of society's problems are fixed. And if he doesn't HE'S NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH the solution is clearly to elect someone from the polar opposite party.

Of course for any of this to work you'd need an impartial dictatorship, which is pretty much impossible, and people (meaning everyone: citizens, soldiers and politicians) who are ready to sacrifice their comfort for a bit while everything gets sorted out, which is completely impossible.

HOW DO YOU SPELL QADAFFI ANYWAY?.

If I recall correctly, his name may be translated in a multitude of various ways.

Everybody is wondering how to make him quit the Country. Is violence the only option? can we still use diplomacy and respect? How to react against Kadhafi and his other despotic friends?

The usage of diplomacy and peace would be wonderfully ideal - indeed, it would be possible in other such circumstances (see: Egypt, to a general extent), however in the present case Gaddafi does not appear to be one to listen to such factors. Not to say that warfare is necessarily the correct option as well - it is, in general, a sort of Catch 22 on human political morality, especially considering the rather unique character in question. I suppose one may attribute it to a choice between interventionism in the face of assisting democratic principles (or international economic interests depending on whom you ask exactly) or adopting a sort of laissez-faire attitude whilst providing moral support. The former being within the commitment of direct warfare may be considered a tad unnecessary in itself, though considering Gaddafi even the attribute of providing munitions support for the National Transitional Council may be in itself a casus belli.

Phantom said:
I'm saying I'm sad that humanity has come to this, where this is the solution. Truly it makes me sad, though it is necessary, it is heartbreaking.

I shall be truthful when I state that humans are absolutely wonderful creatures, but there are quite sadly situations where we must call upon the horrible general relics of our past to progress within a more preferable future due to factors of the past themselves.

Back
Top Bottom