• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Digimon is like pokemon

Ahem. Here goes nothing...

I've played the first-first-first-Digimon games; the Tamagatachi-like ones. You know, the little machine things that fits in the palm of your hand where you have four (and only 4) buttons where you can feed your Digimon and train it and battle it with other people and clean its poop. That's Digimon. You only get one (only 1) Digimon, and that's it. You don't go around "catching them all". The Digimon starts from an egg, and, over time, depending on how you raised it, it will Digivolve into some larger monster.

Pokemon, however, is completely different. I don't think I need to explain this.

As for the anime... I haven't watched many episodes, but there's lots of differences.

Digimon can talk. They exist in another dimension, and their tamer/human/whateverthey'recalled is chosen. As in, one day in school, four beams of different colored lights came out of nowhere and turned into those Digimon machine things (whatever they're called) and attatched themselves to the humans' belts. Yup. When Digimon die, they turn back into eggs (I think). So, technically, they can't die. Digimon are data.

As for Pokemon... Well, I'm pretty sure you already know.

Linoone's two cents.

Ahem. Here goes nothing...

I've played the first-first-first-Digimon games; the Tamagatachi-like ones. You know, the little machine things that fits in the palm of your hand where you have four (and only 4) buttons where you can feed your Digimon and train it and battle it with other people and clean its poop. That's Digimon. You only get one (only 1) Digimon, and that's it. You don't go around "catching them all". The Digimon starts from an egg, and, over time, depending on how you raised it, it will Digivolve into some larger monster.

Pokemon, however, is completely different. I don't think I need to explain this.

As for the anime... I haven't watched many episodes, but there's lots of differences.

Digimon can talk. They exist in another dimension, and their tamer/human/whateverthey'recalled is chosen. As in, one day in school, four beams of different colored lights came out of nowhere and turned into those Digimon machine things (whatever they're called) and attatched themselves to the humans' belts. Yup. When Digimon die, they turn back into eggs (I think). So, technically, they can't die. Digimon are data.

As for Pokemon... Well, I'm pretty sure you already know.

Linoone's two cents.

you're close. IN seasons 1-2, 4, and 5 they were chosen. In season three however they weren't chosen persay. They for lack of better words accidentally became what they were. OH nd people with Digimon are typically referred to as Tamers/Chosen Ones/Digidestined depending on the season. And the devices you mentioned are called Digivices.

Okay, I'm pretty new to this forum, but I think I know a bit about both Pokemon and Digimon.

Before I start, some things I say might have already been said, but oh well.

First, while Pokemon names can be various, they are restricted to a maximum of ten letters, while Digimon names must all end in "mon," but have no limit to length. Furthermore, Digimon names can be extended by adding prefixes (i.e. Greymon, WarGreymon, BlackWarGreymon).

Next, Pokemon can evolve into stronger forms through a process called evolution. Pokemon can have a maximum of three forms, which do not have a specific name designated to them. One Pokemon may evolve into one of many different forms (i.e. Eevee), but can never de-evolve. On the other hand, Digimon can have a maximum of seven stages (Fresh, In-Training, Rookie, Champion, Ultimate, Mega, Super Ultimate) and can go through a process called digivolution in which Digimon use energy in order to become a higher form, and can de-digivolve upon losing energy. Furthermore, there are many different types of digivolution, including DNA Digivolution (where two or more Digimon merge into one Digimon who share characteristics of all the merged Digimon), Warp Digivolution (in which a Digimon digivolves by skipping one or more stages), Dark Digivolution (a special form of digivolution in which dark or corrupting feelings or energy cause a Digimon to become a corrupted Digimon (i.e. SkullGreymon or ShineGreymon Ruin Mode), Armor Digivolution (an ancient form of digivolution in which a Digimon unites itself with a Digi-egg and becomes an Armor Digimon), etc. Season 4 of Digimon introduces Spirit Evolution, where humans or Digimon unite themselves with spirits to become a hybrid form that channels the ability of the spirit.

While Pokemon can learn many moves (usually between ten and fifteen) naturally, as well as around fifty more by the use of TMs and HMs, Digimon usually only have one or two moves, unique to themselves (with the exception of Golden Noose, shared by Pegasusmon and Nefertimon).

Now onto the Anime. In the Pokemon series, one follows a character named Ash Ketchum travel across over 550 episodes, usually with the same plot across many of the episodes, save for some episodes, in which there is an event that spans across around five to ten episodes (i.e. Gym battles and Legendary Pokemon). On the other hand, Digimon consists of five seasons which each are composed of roughly fifty episodes that all usually compose of a much deeper plot that is not as one-dimensional as many of the Pokemon episodes.

Now for the creatures themselves. Pokemon are living creatures with feelings and emotions, who are named for the sounds they make (i.e. Pikachu say "Pika pika!"), while Digimon, though they still consist of feelings and emotions, are made entirely of data and are capable of speech. Unlike Pokemon, Digimon are not capable of death, but instead are reconfigured and are reborn in eggs at Primary Village, contrary to Pokemon, who can breed with other Pokemon.

Uh, I can't think of anymore to write. *looks up* Wow, I've written a lot.

I watched the first season and most of the second season for Digimon and I liked it. I can barely get through any episode of the Pokemon anime.

Meanwhile, I love the Pokemon games but there's maybe one Digimon game I can play for longer than five minutes.

Like most everyone else has said, the names end in "-mon". That's about it.

um

let's see... they both have monsters in them.

yeah, that's a pretty big similarity there.

differences: um... the Digimon anime has a real plot? With real serious villains? I dunno, I stopped watching it after season 2

Although Pokemon are alive, there's not much "death." And heck, the "death" of Lucario was more like "fading into nothingness." Digimon was much more serious-didn't one of the characters put up graves for the "dead" near the end of the first season? And that season also had no mention of reincarnation.

I'm babbling, aren't I? Anyways, they're probably only similar to someone who is only faintly acquainted with one of those. There, my one cent.

I don't really want to get into a huge rant about this, especially since everything I would say has pretty much already been said. I'm just going to respond to a few things.

@Griffin:
Hmm... Doesn't a Digimon's data kind of dissolve and recombine itself as an egg when it dies? I think there was something about that in the Cocomon movie. And I guess in the Digimon World game, too.

@Chewy the Crispy Crunch: Does DNA Digivolution fall under Super Ultimate, or its own category? I was never quite clear on that.

I don't really want to get into a huge rant about this, especially since everything I would say has pretty much already been said. I'm just going to respond to a few things.

@Griffin:
Hmm... Doesn't a Digimon's data kind of dissolve and recombine itself as an egg when it dies? I think there was something about that in the Cocomon movie. And I guess in the Digimon World game, too.

@Chewy the Crispy Crunch: Does DNA Digivolution fall under Super Ultimate, or its own category? I was never quite clear on that.

I can answer these even if the questions were directed at me. In ever season except season three, when a Digimon dies its data is reformed into a Digiegg. Although in season four, if one doesn't hurry the data can be absorbed and the Digiegg will disolve and in season three once a Digimon dies, it stays dead.

I don't even know what Super Ultimate is, but I think DNA Digivolution is just the same as Champion/Regular Ultimate depending on the level of the Digimon who uses thew Digiegg.

In ever season except season three, when a Digimon dies its data is reformed into a Digiegg. Although in season four, if one doesn't hurry the data can be absorbed and the Digiegg will disolve and in season three once a Digimon dies, it stays dead.
Actually, when a Digimon died in Season 3, its data does get reconfigured, but it's just that most of the time, Digimon such as Renamon or Beelzemon absorbed the data in order to become stronger. For example, when Beelzemon killed Leomon, Leomon didn't get reconfigured because Beelzemon absorbed its data. Furthermore, in Season 5, Kurata's Gizumon could fire lasers which decomposed a Digimon's data, rendering it unable to be reborn.
I don't even know what Super Ultimate is, but I think DNA Digivolution is just the same as Champion/Regular Ultimate depending on the level of the Digimon who uses thew Digiegg.
Super Ultimate is a new level that was recently introduced. Digimon such as Daemon Super Ultimate, Susanoomon, and Arkadimon fall under this category. DNA Digivolution is basically normal digivolution, it just uses more than one Digimon.

DNA Digivolution is basically normal digivolution, it just uses more than one Digimon.

So then if two Champions would combine into one Ultimate, what would you call two Megas that combine? As an example, what level would Omnimon be classified as? Definitely higher than Mega, but is there a name for it?

This is why I never bothered with the Digimon fandom. Too complicated. Though Season 3 had good Digimon.

Anyway, death in Pokemon is just as death in reality, though the anime never shows it. Remember the Lost Tower, Pokemon tower and Mt. Pyre? Gravesites.

So then if two Champions would combine into one Ultimate, what would you call two Megas that combine? As an example, what level would Omnimon be classified as? Definitely higher than Mega, but is there a name for it?

Well, technically, Omnimon would be classified as Super Ultimate, but that wasn't released yet, so Omnimon's just classified as "Mega." But it's still awesome.

Back
Top Bottom