• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

So I managed to catch the new episode at 0400... Yeah...

Pretty awesome, but predictable. Loved the bit at the end where River and Amy are just relaxing and talking. I loved Amy and River's happy dance as well. :D

EDIT: 1,900 posts!

Finally watched the new episode. OMG SO AMAZING

NEW EPISODEARGH how did I not guess how this was going to work when they brought out the shape-shifting time-traveling robot. OF COURSE it's the shape-shifting time-traveling robot! Also whenever they mentioned the question I was like "What is six times seven?!

I can't wait for moooooooore

Wait a minute!

In the first episode of the series, the Doctor starts regenerating but then gets shot again. I'm pretty sure robots don't do that!

So I assume in the first episode it actually was him that was shot, but then he changed it himself to be the robot. Or something like that

I'm all the way back at series two. I've decided that I should really get on this whole Doctor Who business and it's going well so far. I'm about halfway into series two and I'm still trying to get used to Tennant being the Doctor. It's actually quite a hard adjustment even though I knew it was coming!

Wait a minute!

In the first episode of the series, the Doctor starts regenerating but then gets shot again. I'm pretty sure robots don't do that!

So I assume in the first episode it actually was him that was shot, but then he changed it himself to be the robot. Or something like that
(DW)It was a simple show of energy.

(DW) Yeah, just fancy stuff. Or it might be that he/River changed/rippedtimeapartandputitbacktogetheragainusingducttape.

(DW)Also, remember that time is a fixed point. AstroRiver didn't know that it was a robot Doctor, and it has always been a robot Doctor. Fixed points can never be rewritten. So therefore we assume that the first killing is the exact same as the second killing with the robot Doctor.

He was never in danger in the first place. As he said, the universe just thought he was. So he did what he did; borrow a suit. River knew, Canton III didn't need to know, since he only needed to bring the gas to burn any evidence, Dorium knows and now Amy and Rory now know. And the crew of the Tesselecta. Just them.

So the whole damned thing is a loop. Since the event is a fixed point, it must happen so therefore nothing changed; the Doctor has always been in that robot for both killings.

(DW)Also, remember that time is a fixed point. AstroRiver didn't know that it was a robot Doctor, and it has always been a robot Doctor. Fixed points can never be rewritten. So therefore we assume that the first killing is the exact same as the second killing with the robot Doctor.

See I don't think this is the case; the fixed point was that the Doctor got shot, and that he was on the beach. I think he changed time but kept those conditions the same. The first time he was shot dead, and then something Amy and Rory and River did caused it to change so that he was still there, but inside the robot.

(DW)Like I said, fixed points in time are solid. Unchangeable. To apply the ball of string theory earlier in the thread, if something were to change in that fixed point, then so many timelines would be rendered useless and therefore would cause the end of everything because something within that fixed point was changed.

Also, the Doctor himself didn't see himself get shot. He only knew he was going to die at the hands of possibly River. So he got himself the suit to fool the universe. He didn't know if he was going to be shot, only that he was going to die.

Well I still disagree

Stop acting as if your interpretation is THE interpretation :c

so like

does anyone else get really annoyed when "aliens" show up and they're actually just humans? and then nobody even thinks it's a bit weird? like. I mean. The Doctor is an example but the Titanic episode. and I was. it's like. :|

Yes. Also, aliens that are humans with an animal's head on (Judoon, the Sisters of Plentitude). I completely get that the BBC doesn't have an unlimited budget, but The Sarah Jane Adventures' budget is a fraction of Who's (and Torchwood, whose best aliens have been a giant space whale and a tentacled thing in a giant tank) and it's had the Uvodni, Bane, Shanseeth, Graske, Trickster and this guy, who's I guess technically a human, but rivals the weeping angels for scariness on a show for 9-year-olds.

so like

does anyone else get really annoyed when "aliens" show up and they're actually just humans? and then nobody even thinks it's a bit weird? like. I mean. The Doctor is an example but the Titanic episode. and I was. it's like. :|

But according to the doctor, it's us that look like Timelords!

Yes. Also, aliens that are humans with an animal's head on (Judoon, the Sisters of Plentitude). I completely get that the BBC doesn't have an unlimited budget, but The Sarah Jane Adventures' budget is a fraction of Who's (and Torchwood, whose best aliens have been a giant space whale and a tentacled thing in a giant tank) and it's had the Uvodni, Bane, Shanseeth, Graske, Trickster and this guy, who's I guess technically a human, but rivals the weeping angels for scariness on a show for 9-year-olds.

I know! It's like, okay so I get that you could maybe pull the "convergent evolution" card, but ... but like not exactly like humans on the outside!! Mind you, the catpeople annoy me because apparently they can interbreed with humans to produce ... kittens. WHY ; ;

(I've pretty much given up on trying to wrap my head around this and I've accepted that Doctor Who is basically science fantasy.)

But according to the doctor, it's us that look like Timelords!

Well, that's still annoying because why do we look like Time Lords?

I usually judge sci-fi (or fantasy) on how well it explains both why all aliens look Luke humans, and why they speak English (if they use those tropes in the first place that is)

Except not explaining it at all is often better than trying and failing. Doctor Who has the best excuse for everyone speaking English I've seen, and the Doctor saying that humans look Time Lord is just a bit of fun lampshade hanging.
(I don't think everyone looking human is ever explained in the classic series either)

To compare, Stargate had a reason for everyone looking human but knew it couldn't think of an excuse why they all speak English, Star Trek explained both but it could have done it better.
Some things like Star Wars can just say they're not speaking English, it's just translated for the audience's sake. But then we come to a scene that wad added to the rerelease of A New Hope and Han says the word "human" argh!

...I'll stop rambling now.

But then we come to a scene that wad added to the rerelease of A New Hope and Han says the word "human" argh!

So? o.o Also, Star Wars has loads of alien languages going on, so it's not a matter of "everyone speaks English" but "the main language is English (or, well, sounds like it for our benefit)". The signs are (for the most part) in aurebesh, too, which is a nice touch.

I know! It's like, okay so I get that you could maybe pull the "convergent evolution" card, but ... but like not exactly like humans on the outside!! Mind you, the catpeople annoy me because apparently they can interbreed with humans to produce ... kittens. WHY ; ;

Ahaha, I love that so much. Especially because that cat that's married a human and had kittens with her is all "Yeah but I don't think the world is ready for lesbians".

Makes the Doctor/human romances a little less creepy?

Ahaha, I love that so much. Especially because that cat that's married a human and had kittens with her is all "Yeah but I don't think the world is ready for lesbians".

Lesbians are pretty out there. I mean. I don't think the world is ready for that quite yet but everyone loves kittens. :3

Makes the Doctor/human romances a little less creepy?

I meant from an in-universe point of view! :P

So? o.o Also, Star Wars has loads of alien languages going on, so it's not a matter of "everyone speaks English" but "the main language is English (or, well, sounds like it for our benefit)". The signs are (for the most part) in aurebesh, too, which is a nice touch.

Because I'm silly, and think that even though the main language is English for our benefit, and so whatever the name is for that species is could be called human for our benefit, think it's silly for them to be called that.

And even sillier, it's entirely possible that they only look like humans for our benefit too, as what matters is the story not the fact that they're humans. If that makes sense.
(unless there's some extended universe thing that I'm missing!)

Oh, and DOCTOR WHO!
Yes, I like its explanation for why everyone speaks English (even though it doesn't cover times when the TARDIS isn't around or anything). Although as I've already mentioned, I'm silly, and as the TARDIS translates things telepathically, I insist that it should know that
when whoever it was wrote down Melody's name on that piece of cloth, they were intending to write Melody Pond, despite that language's lack of a word for Melody and Pond.
Since, you know, telepathy.

I meant from an in-universe point of view! :P
When I discuss Doctor Who with my parents, they never talk in-universe. It's really annoying.
"Why does the Doctor keep visiting Earth, and mainly the UK, and mainly London and Cardiff?"
"Because that's where it's filmed."

Back
Top Bottom