• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

Another Ten fangirl! I'm not alone! OK so in response for the admin of doom.

Midnight
I agree. It was one of the sole episodes in the RTD era that was actually scary. We've seen companions and random people be helpless, but never the Doctor. The Doctor being helpless is a horrible thought. And it's also where David's acting shines, you're right you can see the Doctor screaming for help. It's the eyes. David Tennant has the eyes of a Time-Lord, serious. He has that "I look into your soul" look.

The Waters of Mars I liked it too, the water... Just gah! Because it's just water? Right? RTD did such a good job setting up the characters in the beginning. (Gadget-gadget) I didn't like the little web-page like flashes, I mean I understand that that was how RTD was showing how the Doctor thinks. I think it would have been done better somehow using dialogue. But I understand. I think they did the best way they could think of.

The End of Time Made me cry the first time. Ten was my first Doctor. My first episode of Doctor Who was Human Nature/Family of Blood. And I was in love with the show. I loved his quirks and everything about Ten, and knowing this was his death episode... I half didn't want to see it. But it was a good ending. "I don't wanna go" (waaay better than "Carrot juice, Carrot juice") and "WORST! RESCUE! EVER!) In that last story RTD gave us the best and worst side of the the Doctor... and the Ten with the gun thing sooooo cool. Eleven can't pull of the epic side switch Ten did. :3

Finally, can I just say that I love Rory? If he weren't already married to Amy I would marry him. Through the fourth wall. (Shadey doesn't mind.)

Ha, epic Roman/nurse. Everyone loves Rory... THEY NEED TO STOP KILLING HIM!

EDIT: The End of Time The Master! How could I forget! Love the new hair, and he sacrifices himself for his old friend! So perfect! And the Time Lords coming back! I remember at the time I was watching my mother was in the room; I seriously jumped on top of the couch screaming, "HOLYSHITWHATTHESHITTIMELORDsOMGHOLYSHITTHEY'REBAAAAACK!"
No joke... My mom still looks at me strange whenever I watch Doctor Who. I so wasn't expecting Time Lords... I don't think anyone was. (I sooo called the Master though, everyone knew that by then because of trailers)

Last edited:
Uuuuuuuuuugghh what I haven't been here in forever hello o-o

Midnight is leaning towards the lower the spectrum of episodes I didn't enjoy. Not that I think it's bad or anything, but I think I was very distracted when I watched it and didn't take it in properly.
My least favourite episode is undoubtedly The Lazarus Experiment. The creature doesn't really make sense and I hate the way that Lazarus comes back to life.
For a "main plot" episode, it really didn't bring about any interesting development. It was just unsatisfying as a whole.

On the other hand, I must be one of the few people who liked the Evolution of the Daleks two parter. I loved the way they used the Daleks (I love it when they get to move around a lot. It sucks when they stay still most for nearly an entire episode, like Victory of the Daleks) and I thought it was very interesting how one very intelligent Dalek had an idea of how to survive, and was rejected and executed by his peers.
Although I the whole thing with the pig slaves was really weird and I wasn't fond of it.

I am very much enjoying Series 6 and I've thought all the episodes were great so far (Even Black Spot, which several people have told me they didn't like. I loved it o-o), and I can't wait for Torchwood D:

HI ICE.

Anyway, never knew our dear Admin was a Whovian.

Midnight: Agreed. The Doctor being helpless I think hammers the fear in. We all know him as the brilliant walking Deus Ex Machina, and when he starts screaming for help (THOSE EYES), you are royally screwed. This may be the best of the episodes under his tenure, but it isn't HIS best. He's emulating the Moff's style of fear, like in Blink or Fear Her.

The End of Time: To clear this up, I really don't think the Master sacrificed himself to save his "old friend". He was mad at what Rassilon and co. did to him, plus they called him a disease. If you had lightning shooting from your palms and drums in your head ever since you could remember, and this guy tells you he put it there, THEN tells you you can't join him because the drum thing is a disease, you would want to fry the man. I like his speech, but the visit to friends? Not so much. I would've preferred flashbacks.

See, Midnight just doesn't hit me in the same way it hits you guys. But perhaps I am being unfair. Thus, I have decided to watch it again, taking into account the things that have been said.
And I don't see what everyone's problem is with the Daleks in Manhattan episodes. I mean, they aren't the greatest episodes ever, but they aren't terrible.
Although to be fair the only time I remember disliking an episode, ever, was when I watched Midnight, and I am hoping that my opinion will change on that. The Lazarus Experiment probably comes the closest to real dislike.

Ha, epic Roman/nurse. Everyone loves Rory... THEY NEED TO STOP KILLING HIM!
I for one am perfectly content with Rory dying all the time. :D (My favorite moment of series six so far is the bit where Canton has caught up with Rory and points the gun at him (help I think I like fictional guns) and Rory closes his eyes and whimpers. <3 HI THERE STEVEN MOFFAT I HEAR YOU WROTE THIS BIT JUST FOR ME.)

No, I'm totally not a sadist. What are you talking about?

Anyway, never knew our dear Admin was a Whovian.
Blame Dannichu; she showed me most of series 1-4 while I was at her place in May. And elyvorg, who convinced me I needed to watch it.

The End of Time: I like his speech, but the visit to friends? Not so much. I would've preferred flashbacks.
All the visits were a little lengthy, but it was nice to give those characters a little bit of a goodbye. The visit to Rose, in particular, I felt was very important and really quite poignant as a way to wrap things up for the Tenth Doctor and RTD's run on the show.

...aaaanyway, there's something I'm interested in. How exactly do you interpret regeneration? Because I'm thoroughly convinced that at least RTD thinks regeneration means the current consciousness of the Doctor actually dies and ceases to exist and another one comes in its place with the new body. (Both Nine and Ten's regenerations seem to heavily imply this to me. It could be that I just want to think of it that way because it's magnitudes more interesting (when you're me), but really.)

In my head, regeneration turns you into a different person (physically, obviously, but also mentally), but you keep the memories and remember how you used to be. The consciousness of, say, Nine didn't disappear so much as it did completely change, like how a caterpillar and a butterfly are technically the same animal but completely different.

Like, you know how when you're growing up and then you meet someone that you used to know and they're completely different? I think regeneration is like that change happening in a really short amount of time.

Also, it could be that The Doctor has a whole host of separate, base personalities that are used in different ratios for each regeneration. I dunno. :/

They obviously keep the memories while the personality changes, but what exactly does prior canon say with regards to the old personality's first-person experience of the event? Are there exact words on the subject, and in what context are they said? Because I'm honestly curious exactly how it's presented.

All I currently know is Ten described it as "Even if I change, it still feels like dying. Everything I am dies. Some new man goes sauntering away... and I'm dead", and Nine conspicuously avoided the subject of how it works while fluctuating wildly between sounding i) like he's dying, ii) like it's no big deal and iii) like he's trying to distract himself from the fact he's dying by joking about it, in a way that gave me the impression he was just trying not to worry Rose.

Hmm. As a little bit of speculation, what if the personalities of previous doctors are archived somewhere in the current one's mind? As in consciously, separate from the new personality, watching everything happen and being unable to do anything? That would be so creepy.
I'd like it put on record that this is not a theory of mine. It is not in any way canon, and I do not believe it would be if all this were fleshed out so that we knew exactly how it works.

To explain the avoidance of the subject in-story, the Doctor probably just dislikes talking about it. I mean, if you died a whole bunch of times and became a new person, but with the same memories, would you like to talk about it?

On a somewhat different subject,why would Clone-Boy (Handy, 10.5) be all angry about stuff like Nine was in the beginning? By the time the hand he grew from was severed the Doctor had chilled out some. Is it because the hand was severed in battle? Also, did the hand still have a link with the Doctor? Did it maybe get his memories from the redirection of the regeneration energy? It seems to me that Clone-Boy would be pretty much a carbon copy of the Doctor at the time the hand was severed, plus whatever he got from Donna.

Nine was sort of at peace, because remember that he survived the Last Great Time War. Not only that, he ended it. He thinks of himself as a monster who killed his own people. Rose showed him he isn't. She helped him recover from that guilt. So when he had to die, he was glad he didn't die a monster.

In the Classic series, regeneration isn't shown as violently as today; it's really just a change of body. No mention of any dying personalities or anything. Basically, each body just changes like how a person changes over time. The process on TV was just a closeup of the face morphing (using the old camera ghost technique) into something new. The change of personality then was not mentioned at all, just shown. Ten's dialogue about dying is unprecedented, I think. Most regenerations mention it as a way of cheating death.

Speculation? The Doctor's in his mid-life crisis. Note that each regeneration gets younger and younger. Back then, he always wanted to be the old, masterful sage who knew everything. So his bodies reflected that. Then he actually grew old, and so he wanted to be young again, to be able to actually jump and not hurt his back. So his later bodies reflected it. During his running around, I think Ten tried to emulate his old sage-like wisdom, hence the smart not-needed glasses, and add it with his newfound energy. So he had an equilibrium going. And then he's going to die, to be replaced. His personality will be wiped, his memories given to some new Doctor with a new face.

That trait of his, trying to be old and young at the same time, made Eleven. Young body, but you can't ever say that he's hip and in with the times.

Blame Dannichu; she showed me most of series 1-4 while I was at her place in May.

If you ever, ever need to get someone into Doctor Who (or Buffy or The West Wing or pretty much any British show made in the past 40 years), simply send them over to my house for a week or two. I am a fan-making machine.

I've always seen regeneration as a sort of end-of-an-era thing. Like, when you leave school and you don't want to leave behind the security and good memories and the people you know and love, even if you know that, by moving on, you'll grow more as a person. I'm not the same person who I was before university, and going-to-uni Danni was different to starting-sixth-form-Danni. All technically the same person, but at different stages of life.

All the ads on BBC at the moment for Miracle Day are making me very excited for it :D

During his running around, I think Ten tried to emulate his old sage-like wisdom, hence the smart not-needed glasses, and add it with his newfound energy.

Brainy Specs! :D

Your speculation makes sense to me. Especially since Eleven acts like a super old dude part of the time and then acts like a nine-year-old.

For a second there I thought I'd missed it. Now I know how you Stateside people feel when we watch Doctor Who.

Exactly. A lot of people over there were uber pissed that the times were different, except now it's fair. You guys get Doctor Who on time, we get Torchwood.

Haha
"WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?" [Gwen aims rocket launcher] "Torchwood."

Argh I need to get my parents to let me watch Torchwood. I'm missing out on the fun!

Back
Top Bottom