• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Doctor Who Club

In that video Danni I want to kill all the people who refer to the Doctor as "Doctor Who". >:[

Last edited:
Hee, that one's great.

I always forget that Moffat did Coupling! Probably because it isn't SCARY AS ALL HELL.

Also, I am so unimpressed with this.

You know, it's kind of cute that that is what the kid wanted to do, but I just find the whole thing kind of annoying. Maybe if I could tell what he was saying... :/

Oh yes, that little kid. He's pretty adorable, and I find it awesome Moffat linked it on his Twitter. :D

Meanwhile, I've found Doctor Who and Sherlock tags on pixiv and I've been fangirling the past few days at all the fanart ahaha.

... Also uh, is it bad I'm more of a Matt Smith fangirl than I am a David Tennant fangirl? Tennant was great and all, but I just really love the adorkableness of Smith.

To stave off the time waiting for Doctor Who and Sherlock, I've been trying to catch up with Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. I've started with Torchwood first, and I'm currently on the first season and three episodes away from the finale. So far I'm not exactly enjoying Gwen's characterization. Her empathy and "Heart" status of Torchwood jumps between being depicted as a positive asset or a laggard and I'm frustrated the writers aren't making up their mind. So yeah, static characters make me sad. ;_;

Last edited:
It is in no way a bad thing to be more of a fangirl for one Doctor than for another. It is simply a difference in opinion from some people. :)

You know, it's kind of cute that that is what the kid wanted to do, but I just find the whole thing kind of annoying. Maybe if I could tell what he was saying... :/

I guess it helped that I pretty much know the speech by heart, thanks to excessive listening to the I Am The Doctor track from Doctor Who at the Proms (this). Oh, Murray Gold, you are so good.

Oh yes, that little kid. He's pretty adorable, and I find it awesome Moffat linked it on his Twitter. :D

Meanwhile, I've found Doctor Who and Sherlock tags on pixiv and I've been fangirling the past few days at all the fanart ahaha.

... Also uh, is it bad I'm more of a Matt Smith fangirl than I am a David Tennant fangirl? Tennant was great and all, but I just really love the adorkableness of Smith.

To stave off the time waiting for Doctor Who and Sherlock, I've been trying to catch up with Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures. I've started with Torchwood first, and I'm currently on the first season and three episodes away from the finale. So far I'm not exactly enjoying Gwen's characterization. Her empathy and "Heart" status of Torchwood jumps between being depicted as a positive asset or a laggard and I'm frustrated the writers aren't making up their mind. So yeah, static characters make me sad. ;_;

I love your Sherlocky sig! :D

Stick with Torchwood, I think it gets better as it goes along - series 1 is generally regarded to be terrible (I have a magazine that rated every episode of NuWho-related TV up to he Runaway Bride, and the single episode of SJA that had aired at that time was ranked higher than any episode of S1 of Torchwood), but the characterisation and writing gets a bit better in S2, and then series 3 is really very good.

And you've probably noticed my SJA love already, so. Series 1 is fantastic, and it just sort of stays that way. The only bad thing I have to say about it is the horrendously annoying girl in the pilot, and she doesn't appear thereafter.

I think I like the Eleventh Doctor marginally more than the Tenth, but in terms of which actor I like best... I dunno, Matt just seems to have so much crazy fun with Karen and Arthur that I want to hang out and be BFFs with them, but on the other hand, the Specials DVD has a little story David wrote about himself going back in time and telling his younger self about how one day he's going to grow up and play the Doctor (his 6-year-old self's reaction: "Tom Baker leaves?") and how he's going to have the time of his life and it's probably the sweetest thing I've ever read. I love them both SO MUCH <3 But I fangirl Elisabeth Sladen most of all.

Aw, but Ten is all tragic and stuff! All the time! XP
I am and shall forever be a Tennant fangirl. :D

On another note, is Doctor Who getting more predictable or am I just really good at predicting plot developments?

No, it's just that this time there is actual plot to predict.

Mmm - Whereas the vast majority of Ten's 'plot', as excellent as his series were, was just "Hey, let's go here and do this now! Ooh, something else happened, let's do that! Oh no! This has happened! We'll have to do that!" with no particular major continuity besides perhaps Dalek Caan, and even that was just sort of thrown in there.

Mmm - Whereas the vast majority of Ten's 'plot', as excellent as his series were, was just "Hey, let's go here and do this now! Ooh, something else happened, let's do that! Oh no! This has happened! We'll have to do that!" with no particular major continuity besides perhaps Dalek Caan, and even that was just sort of thrown in there.

Except for you know the whole "Silence will fall" and the whole "he will knock four times" or "Bad Wolf" or Donna Noble, Rose Tyler, or Captain Jack coming back, or "Harold Saxon posters", there's nooo continuity.

Except for you know the whole "Silence will fall"

That was series 5, was it not? Unless I'm wrong, which I may well be!

and the whole "he will knock four times" or "Bad Wolf" or Donna Noble, Rose Tyler, or Captain Jack coming back, or "Harold Saxon posters", there's nooo continuity.

...See! I was wrong here, too! Do forgive me, it's definitely been too long since I watched series 1-4. Also, by continuity I meant more a plot that threads throughout the whole series (Like Bad Wolf, knock four times, the Silence, the cracks, Amy's pregnancy, the Doctor's death, rather than characters returning). Also, if my mentioning of Caan seems hypocritical, I meant that more in the sense of the fact that although he was one of the Cult of Skaro, he then unexpectedly pretty much brought about the demise of all the other Daleks.

That was series 5, was it not? Unless I'm wrong, which I may well be!

Was never mad XD.

"Silence will fall" was first mentioned in "The End of Time Pt. 1". The lead Ood told it to Ten, I think.... I might have to re watch it, but I'm pretty sure.

I know this because the Doctor Who Podshock was arguing about why they love/hate RTD's story arcs.

Read this. If it's got a wiki it must be true. :P
But you were right about the Cult of Skaro being an arc. It's a minor arc that was uber delayed.

Don't forget the cracks!

Not gonna lie though, it does feel like Eleven's run has a more overarching plot than Ten's, which is probably why I enjoy his run a bit better. Ten's run was still amazing though, and it was probably his spontaneity that made him all the more attractive. I just wish Eleven's run was also a bit more spontaneous because, just look at him. He's the universe's oldest nine-year old and he'd probably get excited as hell getting caught in random things at random times.

And Dannichu, I'll take your word as gold. I'll try to get through Torchwood so I can start SJA. ;v; And ahaha thank you, I thought it was time to change my set.

I quite like the "Let's go here! Meet some people! Help them solve a problem that is happening and maybe talk for a bit about how fantastic humanity is!" layout of RTD's writing. Don't get me wrong, Moffat's twists and writing are excellent and I really enjoyed The Doctor's Wife, but Moffat's series is making the Doctor's journeys seem increasingly... predetermined, I think, and maybe it lacks the, as Eclipse said, spontaneous freedom that Ten had.
But I also think Eleven's run has far fewer bad episodes than Ten (the only really disappointing one so far, I think, was Curse of the Black Spot and maybe Vampires of Venice), and that's got to count for something.

And anyway - it's way better than back in the day, when they'd have up to six episodes with one giant overarching (and massively streched) story.

And Dannichu, I'll take your word as gold. I'll try to get through Torchwood so I can start SJA. ;v; And ahaha thank you, I thought it was time to change my set.

I really hope you like them now XD

I would argue that both of those episodes, while not great, were only disappointing to some because of the outrageously high standard the truly excellent episodes set. The only episode that I have ever thought of as actually being bad, in the entire (new) series, is Midnight (Season 4, Episode...10, I think). That one sucked, and I refuse to ever watch it again.
I agree with your assessment of Moffat's writing wholeheartedly. I miss spontaneity! Things aren't wibbly-wobbly anymore. They're still timey-wimey, but I love wibbly-wobbly too! ;_;

Back
Top Bottom