• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Does a God of ANY KIND exist?

If I'm not mistaken, that happens to be spam, therefore, I should tell a mod. It has nothing to do with this subject, so go spam someone elses forum.

Anywho, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that creation was proved because it was written in the bible. But, then again, so was that homosexuality and shellfish are evil, so, you can't really trust that.

if I'm not mistaken noticing irony and humour is not your strong suit...

VPLJ, I love you...marry me?
Of course, my dearest. But the wedding must be held in a lab, preferably in Zurich. <3

Oh, and I guess creationists will come around to say 'proof that creationism is real? LOOK ALL AROUND YOU ITS ALL CREATIONISM lolowned so bad B)' or similar bullshit.

oh fuck yes a wedding in a lab

that is such an amazing idea

are we going to have a service like in a church though (just to keep this remotely ontopic)

If I'm not mistaken, that happens to be spam, therefore, I should tell a mod. It has nothing to do with this subject, so go spam someone elses forum.

Anywho, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that creation was proved because it was written in the bible. But, then again, so was that homosexuality and shellfish are evil, so, you can't really trust that.

Haha... This is funny. Wanna know why?

Because Creationism has been losing completely in this topic, so rather than construct a more elaborate argument, half of your post consists of you saying "YOU'RE OFF TOPIC". Ironic it's at one of the people who is actively fighting against the idea of Creationism.

Lulz at you believing a bunch of desert scrolls written by a bunch of old men from thousands of years ago, then edited beyond context by more old men.

Naturally, everything written in a book is true...?

Anywho, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that creation was proved because it was written in the bible.

By this logic Harry Potter is a real person and there really is a wizarding world. Silly muggle.

By this logic Harry Potter is a real person and there really is a wizarding world. Silly muggle.

You beat me to say it D:

Really, iphillip1, may you please explain why something is true purely because it is written in a book?

I shall now explain. I said Playing Devil's Advocate. I was saying that simply to argue the point. Then it kind of turned into a parody of some stupid christian. That is my reasoning, I am a strict atheist.

If you want, it can be said that we can't even prove that the world itself exists. So if God or evolution are true doesn't really matter because we'd be debating if imaginary stories in an illusion exist.

[/philosophy]

Also, why can't you just let people believe what they want to believe? As long as they're not trying to shove it down your throat and make you believe it too, what's the harm? Parts of science is theory built upon theory.

[quote="What Dictionary.com says about THEORY]1. a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
2. a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.
3. Mathematics. a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
4. the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
5. a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.
6. contemplation or speculation.
7. guess or conjecture.[/quote]

I'm not saying creationism is likely either, I've already learnt how God itself is contradictory and how holy books are written by man, so are subject to their intreperation and blah blah blah. I'm just a bit sick and tired of seeing the atheists trash talk the religious and the theists try to convince others and save their souls.

*Shocktail Out*

We debate because we like to. If you have a problem with it then I suggest that you stay out of the Debating Hall.

I shall now explain. I said Playing Devil's Advocate. I was saying that simply to argue the point. Then it kind of turned into a parody of some stupid christian. That is my reasoning, I am a strict atheist.

Doesn't the devil's advocate generally have to provide a somewhat passable argument?

I meant how some people go to extremes when face to face in real life. Not debating like here, but actually deperately trying to ram what they think into the other persons skulls.

Also, why can't you just let people believe what they want to believe? As long as they're not trying to shove it down your throat and make you believe it too, what's the harm? Parts of science is theory built upon theory.

gravity is a theory
magnetism is a theory

the whole of fucking science is a goddamn theory

that doesn't mean it's not relevant. it's an accepted theory because it fits the model and behaviour of the world around us.

that's a lot better than a theory that says Goddidit which leaves you with 100 more questions to answer instead of like 10

Ah, but religion probes into questions about what happens after death, how we came to be etc. Not forgetting that it's mostly thought that the biblical stories are metaphors, so it's not a case of "SEVEN DAYS = WORLD!". It could be that God started evolution. *shrugs*

But ultimately, I say this about both science and religion:

tesla_coil.png

So everyone here is pretty cute! ^_^

Ah, but religion probes into questions about what happens after death, how we came to be etc.

No it doesn't. It says "God takes you to the afterlife." -end

Not forgetting that it's mostly thought that the biblical stories are metaphors, so it's not a case of "SEVEN DAYS = WORLD!". It could be that God started evolution. *shrugs*

oh the argument that the bible is true because IT'S ALL METAPHORICAL AND YOU NEED TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES. Basically what this means is: "Look, we have an argument, it sucks and is outdated, let's twist their words so that we can have a religious version that is semi-relevant and these days and still suffers from the same flaws, but now it looks good"

Religion + marketing. Fuck that.

+10 for quoting xkcd though.

No it doesn't. It says "God takes you to the afterlife." -end

oh the argument that the bible is true because IT'S ALL METAPHORICAL AND YOU NEED TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES. Basically what this means is: "Look, we have an argument, it sucks and is outdated, let's twist their words so that we can have a religious version that is semi-relevant and these days and still suffers from the same flaws, but now it looks good"

Religion + marketing. Fuck that.

+10 for quoting xkcd though.

Well if some random Internet-tough-guy disprove all of religion, it wouldn't exist.

Well if some random Internet-tough-guy disprove all of religion, it wouldn't exist.

You can't actually disprove (or prove) religion. It's just a silly notion to believe in and a sillier notion to base any ideas on. It doesn't allow for any proper explanations, no feedback, no leeway to backtrack when you're wrong. The only thing you get from having such a set in stone worldview is contradictions when it's opposed and has to be adapted.

1. a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.

Precisely! We could replace relativity with "Darwin's theory of evolution".

And I'd like to say again: dictionary definitions are worse than useless in debates. Please stop using them.

Back
Top Bottom