• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Dragon vs Sangfroidish

Noctowl

Everyone call me elf monster.
1vs1 Single
Style: Switch
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Other: This battle takes place between a referee and one other member. The referee will use their own team of Pokémon, but the other battler may choose either to use their own team OR choose any six nonlegendary Pokémon with any items and abilities to use for this fight. In the former case, their Pokémon gain experience as normal. In the latter case, then the experience gained by each rental Pokémon can be directly transferred to a Pokémon in the battler's regular party, but each party Pokémon can only gain EXP from one of the chosen rentals.

The prizes for this battle are $10 to the winner, $5 to the loser, and $7 to the referee. This battle does not fill a battle slot for the mentoring referee.

[size=+2]Dragon vs Sangfroidish II[/size]

Dragon's active squad

weavile Red Freezie the female Weavile <Pressure> @ Weakness Policy
buizel Taggerung the male Buizel <Swift Swim> @ Quick Claw
larvitar Ron DeLite the male Larvitar <Guts> @ Lucky Egg
venipede Ratha the female Venipede <Poison Point> @ Lucky Egg
pidove Unpleasant the male Pidove <Super Luck> @ Lucky Egg
budew Noisette the female Budew <Poison Point> @ Soothe Bell
fletchinder Curry Rice the female Fletchinder <Gale Wings> @ Flying Gem
noivern Macaroon the female Noivern <Infiltrator> @ Yache Berry
numel Melancholy the female Numel <Oblivious> @ Lucky Egg
buneary Amaretto the male Buneary <Run Away> @ Soothe Bell

Sangfroidish's active squad

fennekin Quelana the female Fennekin <Blaze>
noibat Kalameet the male Noibat <Telepathy> @ Yache Berry
riolu Oscar the male Riolu <Inner Focus> @ Soothe Bell
ralts Zulf the male Ralts <Synchronize> @ Dawn Stone
drifloon Hindenburg the male Drifloon <Unburden>
honedge Artorias the male Honedge <No Guard> @ Dusk Stone
aron Havel the male Aron <Sturdy> @ Dragon Fang
fletchling Kloe the female Fletchling <Big Pecks>
scraggy Neku the male Scraggy <Shed Skin> @ Lucky Egg
ekans Kitaniji the male Ekans <Shed Skin> @ Lucky Egg

The coin of flipping demands that:
Dragon sends out first.
Then Sangfrodish sends out and commands.
Then Dragon makes some commands.
Then I ref. :>

And I'll send out Zulf.

Hit her with Psychic, Dazzling Gleam, and Psychic. If you can't hit her or she protects, use Calm Mind, and if she attracts you and you can't move because of it, see if you can Charm her pants off.

Psychic/Calm Mind ~ Dazzling Gleam/Calm Mind/Charm ~ Psychic/Calm Mind/Charm

Hmmm, let's try Bulldoze, then Iron Head twice and hope for some hax \o/

Bulldoze ~ Iron Head ~ Iron Head

Ah, the good old arena. It may had been seeing a lot of use lately, but it still looked as pristine as it always did. The two trainers stood on oposite sides of the marked out arena, holding their Pokeballs. A test battle it may have been, but still there was tension in the air; both sides were desperate to win. The first to throw the Pokeball, Dragon, tossed the ball and released a small orange camel, who looked at the arena with dopey eyes and yawned. This arena was way too cold for Melancholy. Sandfroidish threw his ball down and out came a small dainty figure, who looked over at his trainer nervously. The ref threw down her flags, and the battle began.
Round one

Dragon
Numel
Melancholy (F) Oblivious (Lucky egg)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Bulldoze~Iron head~Iron head

Sangfroidish
Ralts
Zulf (m) Synchronise (Dawn stone)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Psychic~Dazzling gleam~Psychic

The Ralts shivered a little, but decided that standing still would not help the situation. He focused his psychic type energies into lifting Melancholy into the air. The Numel squeaked with surprise, her little stubby legs waving in a futile attempt to get back down on the ground. With a little chuckle, and a little glow of power from his dawn stone, Zulf slammed the Numel into the ground several times, hearing several squeaks of pain from the struggling Numel each time. Eventually, he tired, and slammed Melancholy down for the last time. The Numel got up gingerly, shaking her legs a little.

The Numel looked at her opponent. That speed! That must be what is giving this little thing the edge! Melancholy bellowed loudly, stomping into the ground a few times. Seismic waves of energy flowed through the ground, almost as if the ground was made of water. The waves eventually reached Zulf, who was toppled over instantly when the waves hit. He got up gingerly, his legs a little sore from the impact.

He was too slow in getting up, however. While the Ralts was struggling to get up, Melancholy had been seemingly standing still, but those with a keen eye would have noticed the strange shine around her head. She bellowed again and charged forwards, slamming her head into the Ralts' green helmet. There was a loud crack, and Zulf fell backwards again, groaning in pain. He could barley move, let alone dazzle the opponent with his amazing good looks.

Melancholy scoffed at her opponent. Is that all it took? Her skin shimmered brightly yet again, and she slammed her head right into Zulf, just as he was about to get up. The pain wasn't so bad this time...it was almost bearable. Almost. Zulf made a small squeak of protest, and decided to attack the camel's mind this time. He closed his eyes to the physical world, and then opened his third eye.

With this, he could see the mental imprint of his opponent. With a huff of effort, he entered the mind of Melancholy, and started to tear parts of the mind to pieces. All that Melancholy could see was a strange pink glow around her opponent before she started screaming and bucking in pain, wishing she had hands to hold her head in. It seemed like hours before the pain ended, and Zulf opened his eyes, grinning at his opponent as she lay panting on the floor.

Dragon
Numel
Health: 74%
Energy: 87%
Commands: Bulldoze~Iron head~Iron head

Sangfroidish
Ralts
Health: 75%
Energy: 92%
Commands: Psychic~Flinch~Psychic

Notes:
Ralts speed: 40-10=30
Numel speed: 35

You didn't specify what kind of psychic to do. I don't think it matters really. So I just used them both to stop it getting stale.

Also, the description for iron head mentions a pate. I'm guessing that means head, as tasty as pate is.

My little bro is ill, so if there is a delay that is probably why.

Dragon to command.

Calculations:
Psychic: Rolled 26

9 base damage
+2.25 stab= 11.25
Dawn stone +2= 13

energy: 4%

Bulldoze (speed lowered):
7% damage
3% energy

Iron head: Rolled 20
8% base
12 damage
5% energy

Flinch:
Iron head: Rolled 85
12% damage
5% energy
Psychic: Rolled 30

Last edited:
No complaints with your prose so far. Your depictions of the moves are spot on, the detail is sufficient, and you refer to the Pokémon's moods and reactions to each other's moves. I also like that you alternated the effects of psychic to avoid repetition, which is a recurring issue in reffing.

Your calculations fall down on a couple of things, though; Bulldoze should have gotten STAB, and each Iron Head should have hit for 12% damage, because type weakness increases damage by x1.5 in ASB (x2 for double weakness). You didn't need to add the extra energy to Iron Head for its extra effect, either, that's already accounted for in the database. Fix those numbers up and you're good.

Also, it would be useful to inform the battlers how you intend to handle Pokémon with identical speed stats when such a situation arises, as it has here. Some refs (myself included) determine attack order by rolls in these cases, while others go by the order their trainers gave commands, and there are probably other methods I'm not aware of. (On the subject, 5 seems rather a stingy amount to alter speed by; most refs go for either 10 or 15.)

Silly me; I calculated the stab, but did not add it!
I'll change the speed alterations to 10, in that case. It won't really affect this round anyway.
(In a case of speed ties, I use a random number generator)

Right, let's see what else is in this movepool here..

Mel, start with Eruption while we've still got a fair amount of health, and then Earthquake and Lava Plume. If he protects/detects/you can't attack for whatever reason, stockpile let's say.. 15% energy. If you've already Stockpiled, use Amnesia instead.

Eruption/Stockpile (15%) ~ Earthquake/Stockpile (15%)/Amnesia ~ Lava Plume/Stockpile (15%)/Amnesia

Use Telekinesis to lift her off the ground, which should hopefully prevent that Earthquake. Then put her out with Hypnosis and eat her dreams for some health.

Telekinesis ~ Hypnosis ~ Dream Eater (health)

Round two

Dragon
Numel
Health: 74%
Energy: 87%
Commands: Stockpile~Amnesia~Lava plume

Sangfroidish
Ralts
Health: 75%
Energy: 92%
Commands: Telekinesis~Hypnosis~Dream eater

As soon as the battle started up again, the Numel considered her actions. She tried her best to erupt waves of lava from her body, but just didn't have it in her. She sighed, and started storing energy instead. bulking her body up a bit as she glowed a faint pink colour. She somehow felt fuller and fatter, and smiled at her bulkines. Let's see those attacks hurting now.

Zulf rolled his eyes. How was she going to take advantage of her bulkiness if she couldn't move? His eyes glowed purple as he lifted the squealing Numel into the air. Melancholy made several squeaks of protest, half expecting to be thrown around again. Zulf chuckled from under his green helmet, knowing that there was going to something greater than tossing or mind ripping in store for the camel.

Melancholy began to calm down a little. She didn't like being in the air, sure, but it would not last long and it wasn't as bad as being smacked around on the floor. Looking down made her realise that she was unable to hit the ground to make earthquakes right now, though, which frustrated her deeply. She wanted to show that smug little fairy who was the boss around here! She muttered to herself, and then started to focus her mind, more specificly on emptying it. Fire blast? What was that again?

Zulf scoffed at the seemingly resting Pokemon. “Such a lazy little thing”, he thought to himself, “Resting on the job.” He floated up to the relaxing Pokemon, and gazed into her eyes. Melancholy looked up at the fairy who was now staring her in the face with mild confusion. What was this boy playing at now?

Zulf's eyes then began to glow red, and suddenly Melancholy felt incredibly sleepy. Her head pounded with an ache for sleep, and so she decided to have a little nap. She would show Zulf who was boss later.

The Numel snored softly, muttering a little while rolling over. It seemed a bit strange to the casual observer to see Zulf drooling. He yet again opened his third eye, and entered the mind of Melancholy yet again. This time, instead of nothingness, there was a mountain range where Melancholy was resting. She looked at her surroundings happily as a volcano erupted around her. Unfortunately for the slumbering camel, Zulf began tearing chunks out of the background of the dream. Once he had collected a fair amount of the dream, he shoved it all in his mouth with a satisfied hum of happiness. Melancholy made a squeak of protest, stomping her hoof on the ground, but couldn't really do anything to stop this destruction of her happy place. Zulf left the mind after gorging himself, feeling a little more energised after his snack.

Dragon
Numel
Health: 64%
Energy: 70%
Status: Wriggling her little legs angrily in her sleep. Stockpiled 15% energy
Up in the air for one more action.
Has forgotten fire blast.
Asleep (severe)
+1 defence +3 special defence
Commands: Stockpile~Amnesia~Asleep

Sangfroidish
Ralts
Health: 79%
Energy: 83%
Commands: Telekinesis~Hypnosis~Dream eater

Notes:
How did I miss the description for stockpile? Ugh.
Sangfroidish to command next.

Calculations:

Stockpile:15% energy +1 def +1 special defence
Telekinesis: 4% energy
Amnesia: 2% energy (forgets fire blast)
Hypnosis: 1% energy
Zzzzzz
Dream eater: 9% damage
4% energy

+4 hp

Last edited:
Still good stuff. Only nitpick is that Dream Eater is often considered as reducing the severity of sleep, but I don't think that's ever been properly standardised and certainly isn't recorded anywhere official so I'm not counting it against you if you choose not to interpret it as such. Also for a moment I was going to pull you up on not accounting for Melancholy's sp. def boost in your damage calcs, but I see you've only taken 11% health away even though your notes still say 12%. Remember to double check all your figures whenever you realise a mistake to prevent any such confusion.
Honestly I'm just grasping for things to critique. This is a very good reffing! :)

Anyway, Zulf, let's use this downtime to set up some defences. Put up a Reflect and a Light Screen, and if she's still asleep, munch on some more dreams. Otherwise, Psychic; let's go ahead and infiltrate her mind, so we can get her even if she clones up. If she's protecting, underground, etc etc, use Calm Mind.

Reflect ~ Light Screen ~ Dream Eater (health)/Psychic/Calm Mind

Er, actually I have to point out that Numel doesn't learn Eruption and I was just messing with you there. Only Camerupt learns it, for some reason! (I hate to lose the bit of damage we actually did, but yeah.)

That has been edited. I should really double check these things.
Erm let me put in the amnesia real quick.

Let's see if we can flinch Zulf into not setting up those screens with a couple of Snores, then try a Sleep Talk since there's not much else we can do. If you wake up, use Yawn to see how he likes being asleep >:[ If you've already used Yawn, let's throw a Will-O-Wisp out there as well.

Snore / Yawn ~ Snore / Yawn / Will-O-Wisp ~ Sleep Talk / Yawn / Will-O-Wisp

Round three

Dragon
Numel
Health: 64%
Energy: 70%
Status: Wriggling her little legs angrily in her sleep. Stockpiled 15% energy
Up in the air for one more action.
Asleep (severe)
Commands: Snore~snore~Sleep talk

Sangfroidish
Ralts
Health: 79%
Energy: 83%
Commands: Reflect~Light screen~Dream eater

The lull in battle was suddenly interrupted by a loud snore. It was, like the worst snore ever. You ever wanted to sleep but your partner is too busy snoring in bed to let you, and you want to shove the pillow over their heads? The noise coming from the Numel was ten times worse. Thankfully for Zulf, he could cover his ears (erm, does he have ears?) with his tiny hands. He soon decided that it would be best to protect himself from further attacks. He waved his hands around, and a golden dome of energy was summoned around him. He smiled, content in the protection he would now be under. He was too busy to notice that the Numel had safely floated back down to the ground, with a nice little bump.

The loud snore, almost like a jack hammer, burst the Ralts from his bubble. It still hurt more than ever! He crossly held his head in his hands, trying to remove the pounding headache that rattled around his head. The Numel rolled over, almost waking herself up from her sleep, but then muttered and lay back down again. “Ok then” Zulf thought, waving his arms yet again, “This should do it”. Another dome of energy was summoned around him. He then turned to Melancholy and scoffed, what could she do now?

The Numel started to mumble a little, and stood up. The look of focus would be on her face, if her eyes were open. Suddenly, she growled a little and mumbled yet again, and started jumping on the spot. Zulf noticed how pumped she was and decided to have another snack into her volcano dreams.
When he dived in, he spotted the Numel having a little training regime, with a punching bag in front of her being head-butted. Zulf floated over to the punching bag, and ate it, the Numel screeching a little in anger before going off to head-butt another one.

Dragon
Numel
Health: 53%
Energy: 57%
Stockpiled 15% energy
Pumped up (has higher chance of crits)
Asleep (mild)

Commands: Snore~snore~Sleep talk (called focus energy)

Sangfroidish
Ralts
Health: 73%
Energy: 72%
Has a reflect screen up. (lasts 3 more actions)
Has a light screen up, (lasts 4 more actions)
-1 speed

Commands: Reflect~Light screen~Dream eater

Notes
Sleep talk called focus energy. The RNG is not kind.
Sorry, I think I've got my brother's bug.
Dragon to command next

Calculations

Snore: 5% base damage 4% energy
Reflect: 1% energy +2 maintainance
Snore: 5% base damage 4% energy
Light screen 1% energy 1% maintainance
Dream eater: 9% damage
4% energy
Sleep talk:Focus energy:5% base energy

Numel 9-Hp
13-energy
Ralts 6-hp
9-energy

Last edited:
Any particular reason you're charging Reflect 2% energy per action to maintain, but only 1% for Light Screen?
The action where a screen is put up shouldn't subtract from its duration if the user is last to move that action. Since Zulf was slower than Melancholy the first action shouldn't have counted towards Reflect, nor the second towards Light Screen.
Some explicit mention in your notes of what Sleep Talk called would be helpful, too, even if everyone can tell from Melancholy's status string that it was Focus Energy. Also, I do believe Snore is meant to degrade its user's sleep status, so Melancholy should be down to mild sleep by now at the very least.
(Oh, and the word "Round" seems to randomly exist above Dragon's end of round stats. :p)

Other than those few little nitpicks, you're definitely getting there!

It was not two energy per action, it was 2 energy for the round. So 1% per action. :)
I wasn't sure if snore reduced it. I will go reduce it now.

Oh, I see! I didn't realise those were totals for the round rather than the amount per action. My bad.
Out of interest, how are you reffing the deterioration of sleep?

I have rolled a number that tells me how long the sleep lasts. Then I roll every action to see if the Pokemon lowers their severity of sleep. If the sleep severity goes below mild, the Pokemon will wake up before its 'waking time'.

Back
Top Bottom