• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Duck Dynasty patriarch suspended after saying remarks against homosexuality

Should he have been suspended?

Yes.

Not only were his comments highly discriminatory, but even from a sheer profit-driven perspective, it would've alienated and eventually driven away many non-heterosexual viewers, thus lowering revenue.

Last edited:
I don't know there were many of those watching Duck Dynasty to begin with.

I'm sure there were some, though, considering that we (as in non-heterosexuals) are probably about one in six of the population (the old "one in ten" statistic only applies to gays and lesbians, as far as I know).

Yes, they made the right choice there. Sure, you have freedom of speech and stuff, but... really? You either agree with same-sex marriage, or you don't and keep your mouth shut. You don't compare it to bestiality, especially when you're probably a role model to a lot of people and a large amount of people know your name.

Honestly. Even if he believes that, you don't say it.

Freedom of speech doesn't apply to hate speech, and I'm pretty positive that comparing homosexuality to bestiality is definitely considered hate speech.
You're right, actually. "Freedom of speech" has been limited so it doesn't cover hate speech, although it's pretty much a freebie people feel entitled to use, whether it's legal or not.

In any case, this guy definitely deserves to be kicked off the show, not just suspended. There are a million less terrible ways that he could have worded it. Sure, he would probably make most of the LGBTQ community angry, but that's expected. He had to make it sound like same-sex marriage is evil, which is evil in and of itself.

Is there even a discussion to be had here?

The man uses a 4000 year old cultic prohibition - the intents of which aren't even clear, since it's nested between a prohibition against women committing bestiality and a prohibition against worshiping the gods of a neighboring nation - to justify his homophobia which has been instilled in him by evangelicals and social conservatism.

It's barely even news. Surprise, someone in power does something which abuses their position of power. Welcome to pretty much every society ever.

You either agree with same-sex marriage, or you don't and keep your mouth shut.
I do dislike it when people say "freedom of speech" as a defense of this kind of thing because that doesn't mean you won't ever face consequences for things you say.

However while I definitely don't agree with the guy, why should he keep his mouth shut? Sometimes people go a bit far with it but why should they not express their opinions at all? Am I misreading what you said or did you mean "if you disagree with me you shut up" ?

Now now, we're not on Twitter.

However while I definitely don't agree with the guy, why should he keep his mouth shut? Sometimes people go a bit far with it but why should they not express their opinions at all?

Personally, I think it wouldn't have been such a big deal if he'd just said "I don't agree with same-sex marriage." There's a big difference between that and what essentially boils down to "homosexuality is strange and disgusting and you're a freak if you do that."

I would've been okay with the first, because that's a respectfully-stated opinion (despite the fact that i disagree). What he actually said was not.

(on another note, I find it greatly amusing that part of his argument is "I like vagina and so I don't get why men wouldn't." dude. you're not the be-all end-all of male sexuality.)

(i should add that he probably should've been fired.)

(on another note, I find it greatly amusing that part of his argument is "I like vagina and so I don't get why men wouldn't." dude. you're not the be-all end-all of male sexuality.)

penises are fuken ugly. i don't get why anyone wouldn't agree

I would've been okay with the first, because that's a respectfully-stated opinion (despite the fact that i disagree). What he actually said was not.

This is more or less what differentiates free speech from hate speech. I'm sure there's more of a legal nuance, but ...

Flora said:

Well, it doesn't really surprise me, since this is basically the core of social conservatism. "It's good for me, and it was good for my father, and it was good for his father, ... so get with the program."

Altissimo said:

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

However while I definitely don't agree with the guy, why should he keep his mouth shut? Sometimes people go a bit far with it but why should they not express their opinions at all? Am I misreading what you said or did you mean "if you disagree with me you shut up" ?
It's more along the lines of, "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all."

Personally, I think it wouldn't have been such a big deal if he'd just said "I don't agree with same-sex marriage." There's a big difference between that and what essentially boils down to "homosexuality is strange and disgusting and you're a freak if you do that."

(i should add that he probably should've been fired.)
Yeah I agree, it's just the way Qvalador worded it seemed like he meant disagreeing with same sex marriage in general.

To be fair I think all sex organs and human bodies in general would qualify if there were a magic way of measuring ugly.

EDIT:
It's more along the lines of, "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all."
Ah right. I wouldn't always agree with that but I do agree with it more than what I thought you said.

I lol'd. I wasn't being serious anyway, I was just kind of mocking the statement that Flora had quoted.

Yeah ... I just wanted an excuse to pull that one out ...

... speaking of pulling out, do you think homophobia will last much longer in popular American culture? Seems to me that (everywhere except Fox News and garbage like Family Guy) there is more positive representation of gays in media. Not that negative stereotypes are going to disappear overnight, but am I imagining this trend?

Of course, trans* people are still basically invisible to the public, but.

I've just lost all respect I had for the man- oh wait.

He should have to publicly apologize for his comments, otherwise be fired entirely. I think it pisses me off more that Sarah Palin is defending Robertson without receiving any backlash. Free speech =/= Hate speech.

... speaking of pulling out, do you think homophobia will last much longer in popular American culture? Seems to me that (everywhere except Fox News and garbage like Family Guy) there is more positive representation of gays in media. Not that negative stereotypes are going to disappear overnight, but am I imagining this trend?

I like to think like this. From what I've noticed, the newer generations are only getting more and more tolerant, and I think that when we end up controlling the world in twenty to forty years, discrimination of all kinds will end up shrinking more and more.

Though my opinion isn't really fact-checked and my experiences are horrible things to judge by because I go to basically the most diverse and culturally accepting high school in the country and that's where I spend most of my time interacting with people. My parents tell me that increased tolerance with younger generations isn't actually a thing, but I just keep hoping they're wrong because discrimination is just wrong.

...I feel like staying away from the topic of stereotyping also, because there's a very fine line between use of stereotype for satire and for malicious intent, and I don't trust my control over language that finely.

Back
Top Bottom