• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Favorite board/tabletop games

This seems really weird to me. I can't imagine anyone in western Europe not knowing what a standard deck of playing cards is. (Certainly not to the extent that they plain wouldn't know they were different.) Were they tarot cards, perchance? Those are used for games in continental Europe. (But, again, they'd explicitly be called a tarot deck.)

I have witnessed the greatest ever CAH play (The Oedipus complex: kid-tested, mother approved) and thus have no further interest in the game.

I play a lot of games with very similar decks to the standard, but slightly different (so they have an excuse to sell you a deck of cards, I guess). Haggis, Tichu, and Abluxxen (Linko in English) are my favourites.

FWIW tarot cards are perfectly usable in most western card games - the minor arcana, at least. If you take away the major arcana, you're basically left with a 56-card deck of four suits and fourteen cards per suit in order. The gameplay is basically the same then.

I've played most of the enat card games mentioned here, mostly in middle school. We played a bit of Texas Hold Em, ERS, Gotcha (here called Cuadrito because you need four cards and a square/cuadrado has four), a tiiiny bit of Spoons, and a hell of a lot of BS. The games are so incredubly fun.

There's another game I used to play with my cousins called Mistake. It's rather hard to explain over a post (all of my explanations of it have been in person with a deck in my hand), but it's also really good once you get the hang of it

This seems really weird to me. I can't imagine anyone in western Europe not knowing what a standard deck of playing cards is. (Certainly not to the extent that they plain wouldn't know they were different.) Were they tarot cards, perchance? Those are used for games in continental Europe. (But, again, they'd explicitly be called a tarot deck.)
Not Tarot, no. I bought one myself because I thought it was weird, but it's at home so I can't go look at what the different cards were. iirc it was mostly a standard deck in terms of the numbered cards, but the face cards were different.

So I was going to update my previous post on this topic by gushing about Codenames for a bit, but then I looked back at my original post and apparently I was already a fan of Codenames when I wrote it. Oh well! Codenames is pretty fantastic and my current evangelical obsession. If you are around me and a group of 2+ other people you will be playing it. Yes I do have it with me, don't even bother to ask.

Somewhat amusing because it's basically the polar opposite of Magic, design-wise, but I'm a huge fan of both.

Aw, I just looked at my original post and found that I have created no new notable favorite board games in over two years :( I want to play more board games!

I'm unsure what would be my favorites now, but as a kid, I really liked board/table top/card games in general :P I was always challenging friends and family to them! I was a bit competitive and i loved it. Those were awesome memories in general for me <3

I hope if the future I get to play games like those again in general. Gaming in all forms is like super fun lol

Back
Top Bottom