• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Forum Revival TV Tropes Mafia Revival - D7

The fact I didn't get Deadly Doctor is what interests me more. I guess it either means Negrek was lying, or I got ILS' role because Jack was actually mafia?
I mean, if we're going by what VM said (that you inherit the role the following night, right?), then if Jack was mafia/third party, then it would be theoretically correct to have gotten ILS's role last night, as that was the night following ILS's death, and ILS was the first town-aligned person to die.

oh, yeah. the timeline we'd all thought of was an n0 kill -> n1 inherit, not a d1 kill -> n1 inherit, which is actually what probably happened?

what do you mean by "pocketing" here? i feel like what you're saying doesn't really make sense with my understanding of the word
picking up the meaning through osmosis sometimes doesn't work I see-

I meant coddling, defending, and being prone to assume that the given individual is town

as long as you're alive we will probably know when the cop dies
Yeah, but are you seriously going to bank on that? I mean, if you're signing up to never lynch me, I'm down, sure. But that's even assuming you get the chance and I don't die in the night.

It's *also* assuming that the cop will have a trope that will obviously point to them being cop, which I don't think is a sure thing. I expect there to be some tropes where the mafia role associated with them is blindingly obvious, like White Mage, and some where the association is one that only Butterfree would guess in the absence of other information. Like if someone dies and their role is "world-weary cop" or something, then yeah, they're probably the cop, but I wouldn't rule out the cop getting assigned something like, idk, "street smart" or something.

picking up the meaning through osmosis sometimes doesn't work I see-

I meant coddling, defending, and being prone to assume that the given individual is town
this has never been what pocketing means ime; it's when someone appeals to a specific player such that the player views them favorably
at any rate keldeo is currently in my shrug pile. i just disagreed with mawile's assessment that his posts look scummy, because they looked pretty much normal to me, and the read seemed really weird given like half the roster was yet to speak substantially at the time

To be honest, I had completely discounted the possibility of Jack secretly being Mafia, but it seems I've come down to either Jack's secretly mafia or VM's lying, so.

no, it just says the first time a non-mafia player dies, I will take on their role at the beginning of the following night phase
So then, going by this, if Jack was town or third party, then you should have inherited Deadly Doctor, correct? So he would have needed to be mafia that flipped as innocent on death, right?

Yeah, but are you seriously going to bank on that? I mean, if you're signing up to never lynch me, I'm down, sure. But that's even assuming you get the chance and I don't die in the night.

It's *also* assuming that the cop will have a trope that will obviously point to them being cop, which I don't think is a sure thing. I expect there to be some tropes where the mafia role associated with them is blindingly obvious, like White Mage, and some where the association is one that only Butterfree would guess in the absence of other information. Like if someone dies and their role is "world-weary cop" or something, then yeah, they're probably the cop, but I wouldn't rule out the cop getting assigned something like, idk, "street smart" or something.
i'm pretty much banking on that yeah. i don't think you're in serious danger of being lynched and if boq died before you i feel like you're probably safe for a bit
and if you do die or the role isn't obvious etc... i mean maybe it'll end up being useless but i don't think the mafia will actually triangulate who the cop is from this, so the worst case is it ends up being useless. best case we can extract useful information from it

So then, going by this, if Jack was town or third party, then you should have inherited Deadly Doctor, correct? So he would have needed to be mafia that flipped as innocent on death, right?
Or what Seshas said about the day text not being trustworthy extends to the flips, too, which I dislike the thought of.

wait. no i didn't. lol.

i mean maybe it'll end up being useless but i don't think the mafia will actually triangulate who the cop is from this, so the worst case is it ends up being useless. best case we can extract useful information from it
agree with this tbh

i've been kind of toying with that idea too and yeah. :eek:
i kind of like the idea that jack was mafia because it makes the facial expression in his death flavor make sense and also means there's probably another doctor out there still (assuming he was mafia doc, magic doc is gone, leaving tech doc)
but i don't like it because, uh, the implications. of that. oof

Back
Top Bottom