• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Have You Read The Book Series "Runaways" by Marvel?

Re: [B]Have You Read The Book Series "Runaways" by Marvel? [/B]

what is this series

If it is what I think it is, all I know is that a) Joss Whedon's written bits of it, which endears it to me massively, b) my housemate adores it, and c) Molly has fantastic hats.

It's the one where one of the main characters is a dinosaur with a nosering, right?

Sorry, I just meant that it was like a comic book-type-thing. And yes, the dinosaur is Old Lace, and the girl is Gert(A.K.A. Arsenic).

yeah i will google if i want extraneous trivia or am really interested but it is helpful to put something in the OP

hey,hey, Am I gonna have to turn the hose on you two? Anyway; It's a book series about a group of superpowered-teenagers. They run away from home after witnessing their parents perform a murderous ritual to a young girl. I'll say no more in hopes of preventing spoilers.

Holy shit, a superhero series with more female than male leads? I am convinced.

I'm not sure that this is a fair assessment. There are tons of female-led comics. Teen Titans has had mostly female leads in the past, there are tons of spin-off series with female leads (Birds of Prey, Batgirl, etc), and sidekicks of male heroes are sometimes female (there has been a female Robin and a female Speedy). Admittedly, the "classic", long-running series are predominantly male, but that, I think, is more of a reflection of when they first started.

A better complaint would be that superheroes are too idealized (and therefore sexualized) but that seems to be an inherent part of the genre.

Also: Hey opal it's sandmouse!

While I realize he didn't create the series, as a rule of thumb, anything Joss Whedon has been involved in (with the exception of Toy Story and, unfortunately, Dr. Horrible) has a) excellent female characters, and b) lots of 'em.

I actually read Joss' first comic book, Fray, this evening and it was excellent. I plan on reading Runaways soon :)

I had read the first one a while back and did not know whether there was another book. After a while I must have forgotten about it. Do you know whether there's a place I can read it online?

Back
Top Bottom