• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Hayao Miyazaki's movies

Miyazaki is amazing. <3

I've seen Nausicaa, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle.

Nausicaa is my favorite, for some reason. I only saw it once, but it easily tops the list as my favorite. The rest are all tied for second place. Spirited Away was the first Miyazaki film I saw, and I've seen it about five times and loved it every time. My Neighbor Totoro is absolutely amazing because TOTORO AND CATBUS ARE POSSIBLY THE COOLEST THINGS EVER. Castle in the Sky was really cool, especially towards the end. Princess Mononoke was just spectacular. Howl's Moving Castle is just...amazing beyond words.

Has nobody else here read Nausicaa? ):

The manga is monumentally better. Words cannot describe.

i am disapoint

i've only not read nausicaa because i can't find the manga where i live. the library stocks it, but kids at the library tend to mistreat books beyond words. i don't trust those..

there's a lot of 11 books on ebay now, but i'm guessing those are 32-pagers and not actual volumes. :/ i'll stick it out. i really want to read this and phoenix.

I have all of them- I ordered them off of some place online and recieved all of them but number 4, which I received unannounced about a year later. To fill in the gap between volume 3 and 5 I downloaded it all in a PDF- I don't know where I found this PDF but it's bound to be on my computer somewhere still.

I currently know of two places online where you can read it, but one is missing sections for some reason, and the other is also missing sections but has the parts that the first place was missing. Sounds like too much trouble for me.

Anybody want me to try fishing around on my computer?

edit: Just found it, that wasn't so hard. It's the "Perfect Collection" edition Viz published in five volumes, rather than the other printing I have that was in seven volumes. The translation is the same between the two, but the perfect collection version has been flipped and reads left to right like American comics. Anyone want me to upload it somewhere?

Last edited:
I've seen Spirited Away (beyond amazing, in like... every way, ever), Castle in the Sky (also awesome), My Neighbor Totoro (cute, I guess), and Howl's Moving Castle (just... confusing, but I saw it when I was like 11 so).

Now that I think back (Zeta mentioning how old he was when he saw HMC kind of made me think about it for some reason- it doesn't seem like that long ago but it really has been that long, huh?), I remember my first lucid dream actually involved Howl, a few months after I saw the movie... I didn't have another one until a couple months ago, which involved Kurotowa and ended up being a lot more scandalous. D:

So two out of three dreams I became lucid in had Miyazaki characters in it. I think I might be on to something.

<3

I looked everywhere for Miyazaki movies today and finally found a modest selection of them at a Border's. Ended up buying Howl and Nausicaa; I almost bought Spirited away, too, but I wanted to have at least some money left over. That's the same reason I didn't buy the Nausicaa graphic novels; I think they had all of them though. :v

Howl's Moving Castle (just... confusing, but I saw it when I was like 11 so).

Yeah, I was the same way with a lot of Miyazaki's movies; I didn't like them when I was younger because I didn't understand them. There's a lot of symbolism and artistic value, and some of the messages I think are a bit hard for kids to get. But a lot of people see these movies as kids and then say that "the dude who made that had to be on drugs" because they didn't get it. It's kind of sad. :[

Of course, he has things like Totoro and Kiki that are a lot more kid-oriented, but yeah.

I've seen all of those and I loved every one, Kiki's Delivery Service being my favorite. Really, his movies are simply magical, and I can't wait to see his next!

So I watched Howl's Moving Castle and I'm all happy and giddy and positive about life now!

May all your bacon burn!

Back
Top Bottom