• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Languages

I'm fluent in English.

(僕は)日本語の学生です。 / (Boku wa) Nihongo no gakusei desu.

I'm also interested in learning French and Swedish.

oh hey, the languages thread is back up! this means I can ask a question I've been meaning to ask for a while of non-native English speakers:

at least to us americans, most non-English languages have something that defines them. (to us. when we don't speak those languages.) Spanish is defined by taking English words and putting o's (and sometimes a's) at the end of words, French is defined by having lots and lots of vowel clusters that are either unpronounceable or just ... aren't pronounced in general (so you want to speak French? step one: the last four letters of any given word are silent. Congratulations, you speak French!). German has harsh consonant sounds, gratuitous use of the "aye" sound (as in "ein"), and lots of strange vowel combinations that never seem to sound like they should. (Even worse than French I mean.) The example I gave when telling this to my friends was something like "Ich bein den webenhauser!" or something which obviously doesn't make any sense but sounds vaguely German! I could go on but I'm getting bugged to go get ready for school so I'm just gonna end here.

but my question is: most languages have something that non-speakers of that language think defines the language. What defines English?

I don't know German either. I was just making something up for the point of having an example. :V

while I'm here, I can characterize Italian and Latin as well: Italian is a language where every word (or at least every name) ends in either i or o. The language itself is characterized with "a" sounds after everything (It's-a me, Mario!). Latin is characterized with having lots and lots of words suspiciously similar to English words except ending in "us" and "um" instead of whatever the English words end in.

oh hey, the languages thread is back up! this means I can ask a question I've been meaning to ask for a while of non-native English speakers:

at least to us americans, most non-English languages have something that defines them. (to us. when we don't speak those languages.) Spanish is defined by taking English words and putting o's (and sometimes a's) at the end of words, French is defined by having lots and lots of vowel clusters that are either unpronounceable or just ... aren't pronounced in general (so you want to speak French? step one: the last four letters of any given word are silent. Congratulations, you speak French!). German has harsh consonant sounds, gratuitous use of the "aye" sound (as in "ein"), and lots of strange vowel combinations that never seem to sound like they should. (Even worse than French I mean.) The example I gave when telling this to my friends was something like "Ich bein den webenhauser!" or something which obviously doesn't make any sense but sounds vaguely German! I could go on but I'm getting bugged to go get ready for school so I'm just gonna end here.

but my question is: most languages have something that non-speakers of that language think defines the language. What defines English?

english is defined by "wtf why does that not work the way this does? it's the same damn thing!"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure English is defined by its infinite exceptions to its own rules.

Last edited:
"I bein the weave hauser!"

what the hell google translate I swear "bein" means something ._.
damnit now I wish I still learned German screw you leafpool

What the hell, google translate? 'Bein' means leg! Maybe it's case sensitive?

Also, through context and rudimentary Swedish:

That's going very good for you, I think... I believe, at this point in time your speech is influenced by English, but that's understandable. You have more or less the level of Google Translate, I should say!
Jag menar, det märks ganska tydligt att ditt språk är influerat av engelskan, men det är i alla fall begripligt. I mean, it's fairly obvious that your language is influenced by English, but it's comprehensible anyway.

Otherwise correct.

english is defined by "wtf why does that not work the way this does? it's the same damn thing!"
Yup.

Quelqu'une a mentionné le français? La langue la plus belle dans le monde entier? Ah, je l'adore, mais je dois arreter et commencer à tenter d'apprendre l'espagnol pour mes examens dans trois semaines.

Quelqu'une a mentionné le français? La langue la plus belle dans le monde entier? Ah, je l'adore

J'suis tout a fait d'accord. :D Le francais fait partie de ma vie, en fait. Il n'y a aucun jour ou je ne passe pas de temps en le parlant, soit a quelqu'un d'autre, soit a moi-meme.

Et a ce type-la qui a dit que le francais ne consiste que des voyelles 'euhhh' - Tu me rends triste :C

(Mon clavier est débile. Les seuls accents que je peux insérer, ce sont les aigues. Pardonnez-moi.)

Last edited:
Monsieur, je vais a la Belgique souvent et quand je suis la, tous les gens parlent comme ils savent seulement une voyelle. J'ecoute le meme. Bluh bluh bluh.

Et aussi, les gens a Bruxelles ont toujours oublie leur neerlandais. Mais monsieur, JE NE VEUX PAS PARLER FRANCAIS

Alors chaque fois je dois parler francais, c'etait tres mauvais. Moi je prefere l'allemand...

I regret dropping French when I started Middle School. Otherwise I'd be able to understand the above conversation.

HAW

SON

WHIT IS RANG WAE JUST SPEAKIN' THE FUCKIN' QUEEN'S ENGLISH AE?
AH MEAN, IF YE LIVE HERE THEN YE SHID SPEAK THE FUCKIN LANGUAGE OR AH'LL FUCKIN BOTTLE YE IF YE KEN WHIT AH MEAN

Back
Top Bottom