• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

HG/SS My Team... help/critique wanted

Right, but how do I check them?

You do know that Nidoking is a poison-type and a ground-type, right?

poison is fantastic as a defensive secondary. offensive, not so much.

Also, I'm making these pokemon in my platinum version. And then I want to trade them to my diamond version because that's the one with all the TMs. And then I will trade them to my Heartgold.

I suggest breeding in hg (for awesome useless new egg moves and stuff), and training them in d/p/pt. that way you also get the xp bonus.

What else would you suggest my Clefable know? As for Ampharos' other moves, I suppose I get the final decision, don't I?

I've got to go right now, but I'll edit later.

seismic toss is a standard on clef. ampharos... well, dual screen support is nice, but I really can't think of much.

right, I felt that that whole post was just rude. Sorry to you, Sreservoir.

I'm don't mind too much, actually. it's quite typical for new competitive battlers to use STAB moves even when they suck, because it works well ingame.

(I prefer "sreservoir", lowercase, btw.)

I woul breed them in HG, but I have no AR breeding codes (just quickhatch) or it. I also have the pokemod on Pt, so its easier to get the pokemon.

Alright, as an update, here are the Pokemon whose movesets are finalized.

Dragonite
Draco Meteor
Aerial Ace
Dragon Claw
Heat Wave

Kabutops
Stone Edge
Brick Break
Waterfall
X-Scissor

Breloom
Seed Bomb
Sky Uppercut
Swords Dance
Thunderpunch

Clefable
Moonlight
Flamethrower
Meteor Mash
Magical Leaf

I know some of those moves you said not to use, but... I don't know. I feels right to.

Now. Pokemon with incomplete movesets. These are unhappy Pokemon right now. Help them now and get a cookie! (but unfortunately not a real cookie because that would be difficult)

Nidoking
Ice Beam
Earthquake
Stone Edge
????

Ampharos
Thunderbolt
Signal Beam
????
????

Help them nimbly! Help them quick! Or else they might just get sick! (this is not a good sickness like pokerus. this a bad sickness like the Yellow Fever.)

Dragonite
Draco Meteor
Aerial Ace
Dragon Claw
Heat Wave

Huh. Its better now, but Heat Wave is generally a bad choice unless its the only fire move you can learn. Flamethrower trades 5 BP for full accuracy.

Kabutops
Stone Edge
Brick Break
Waterfall
X-Scissor

Much better.

Breloom
Seed Bomb
Sky Uppercut
Swords Dance
Thunderpunch

Clefable
Moonlight
Flamethrower
Meteor Mash
Magical Leaf

Now. Pokemon with incomplete movesets. These are unhappy Pokemon right now. Help them now and get a cookie! (but unfortunately not a real cookie because that would be difficult)

Nidoking
Ice Beam
Earthquake
Stone Edge
???? A Hidden Power or the nice STAB'd Poison Jab/Sludge Bomb isn't bad. Stealth Rock could work too.

Ampharos
Thunderbolt
Signal Beam
????Focus Blast or Power Gem. Or a support move of some type, like Thunder Wave/Toxic.
???? Above.

Well, most of the horrible things have been dumped, which is good. Its looking a lot more competitive now, rather than a 6 year old running around boasting about his level 100 starter.

Meh on the Heat Wave comment. I like Heat Wave.

I wanted to do Sludge Bomb on Nidoking before, but I was told that was a bad choice.

My final Choices:

Nidoking W/Muscle Band A:Poison Point
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Ice Beam
Sludge Bomb

Clefable W/Life Orb A:Magic Guard
Moonlight
Magical Leaf
Meteor Mash
Flamethrower

Kabutops W/ Expert Belt A: Battle Armor
Stone Edge
Waterfall
Brick Break
X-scissor

Dragonite W/ Leftovers A:Inner Focus
Heat Wave
Draco Meteor
Dragon Claw
Aerial Ace

Ampharos W/ Metronome (Random, right?) A: Static
Thunderbolt
Signal Beam
Power Gem
Thunder Wave

Breloom W/Toxic Orb A:Poison Heal
Seed Bomb
Sky Uppercut
Thunderpunch
Swords Dance

Thanks for all the help! Now to get started on this...

I wanted to do Sludge Bomb on Nidoking before, but I was told that was a bad choice.

My final Choices:

Nidoking W/Muscle Band A:Poison Point
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Ice Beam
Sludge Bomb

sucker punch is kind of occasionally useful with nidoking's low speed. I guess poison is okay as filler, tough there are better alternatives: ice beam already covers all grassers, and the usual annoyances are /poison, so poison doesn't even hit that well. suggest dump it for thunderbolt or something which actually provides extra coverage. also, with ice/ground, you shouldn't need stone edge, so you can drop it for sucker punch, megahorn, or superpower.

Clefable W/Life Orb A:Magic Guard
Moonlight
Magical Leaf
Meteor Mash
Flamethrower

splitting your offenses is usually a bad idea. clefable can probably get away with it, though. if you can, you should probably put double edge on this thing, which takes no recoil, with STAB and LO for estimated 234 BP. wish or softboiled is typically preferred over moonlight.

magical leaf is usually a horrible move. meteor mash draws you in with huge base power, then misses a lot. you might want to consider replacing one of them. fire blast is typically preferred over flamethrower.

Kabutops W/ Expert Belt A: Battle Armor
Stone Edge
Waterfall
Brick Break
X-scissor

this is quote nice, actually. but still, put return over brick break or x-scissor. probably x-scissor. it actually provides better coverage.

Dragonite W/ Leftovers A:Inner Focus
Heat Wave
Draco Meteor
Dragon Claw
Aerial Ace

fire blast is better if you're into inaccurate moves. also, roost is typically advised somewhere.

Ampharos W/ Metronome (Random, right?) A: Static
Thunderbolt
Signal Beam
Power Gem
Thunder Wave

you might want a better item. focus blast > signal beam or power gem.

Breloom W/Toxic Orb A:Poison Heal
Seed Bomb
Sky Uppercut
Thunderpunch
Swords Dance

Thanks for all the help! Now to get started on this...

breloom is okay, I guess.

With Nidoking, how about I drop Sludge Bomb for Megahorn, and Stone Edge for Fire Punch, or Sucker Punch?

Clefable, I'm not going to argue with you. Double Edge is a great choice. Flamethrower stays, though. Also, how do you teach it Double Edge?

Kabutops, maybe Night Slash?

Dragonite is unconventional, but that's what makes it my Dragonite.

Ampharos, get rid of Signal Beam for Focus Blast.

What do you mean, "firne, I guess"? My Breloom is great the way it is!

... I'm not sure you quite have the authority to say that. I mean, your Clefable had Magical Leaf. These people know what they're talking about; I suggest you listen instead of arguing that your Pokémon are fine as they are...

well, I only say that because that is the only pokemon the people helping me haven't said anything about except for "looks fine" and "ehh, nothing wrong here". Except sresservoir, who actually said I could dump a move for Spore. Pretty much the only reason I didn't is that I figure that anyone whose pokemon will suddenly be asleep will instantly change it out. Still, I suppose I could have inserted an "apparently" there so that it read "My Breloom is great the way it is apparently!".

Last edited:
Pretty much the only reason I didn't is that I figure that anyone whose pokemon will suddenly be asleep will instantly change it out.

Well, yeah, and if you keep using Spore eventually the opponent's whole team will fall asleep, which makes it easier to sweep without being interrupted. Unless they have something that can get rid of sleep quickly (or prevent it from happening), they're kind of helpless, and you can always just put them back to sleep if it takes too long to kill them, and they wake up.

Last edited:
good point. I thought of that, but I suppose I've never had a final moveset with more than one move that does no damage. I'm still new to this, so I'm still a little narrow-minded about that kind of thing.

Flamethrower stays, though.

Oh what the hell is this.

You're asking for suggestions, aren't you? You're asking for ways to improve your team, right? So why is it that you whine and complain when people do exactly what you're asking them to do?

"um dude flamethrower's much better, heat wave is only for things that can't use flamethrower or fire blast"
"BUT I LIIIIIKE HEAT WAVE D:"

Your attitude is pretty much the worst I've seen on this rating forum, and considering I've read through Turbo's shitstorm of a thread, that's saying a lot. Do you expect to get much help by acting like you know better than the people you are asking for help? For that matter, do you even want help at this point? Because judging from the number of things you refuse to change, that seems to be a reasonable conclusion. Cut this shit out, realize that maybe (I dunno just throwing this out there) the people who are offering to help you may actually have good points, and either start accepting the help or stop asking for it.

Pretty much the only reason I didn't is that I figure that anyone whose pokemon will suddenly be asleep will instantly change it out.

The fact that the opponent will do that is pretty much the whole point of most Breloom sets; it can give you time to use Substitute and get ready to spam Focus Punch, give you time to hit incoming targets with Leech Seed, give you a turn to use Swords Dance, or just give you a free hit on whatever's switching in. Even if it wasn't part of the plan, you still have a potential threat out of the game for a while. Breloom can work without it, but it works much better with it. If you want to use a Swords Dance set, replace Sky Uppercut with Mach Punch to augment Breloom's supbar speed (it's also more accurate). Also, putting Facade somewhere in there would be nice.

Well, yeah, and if you keep using Spore eventually the opponent's whole team will fall asleep,

Most opponents will DC the minute you break Sleep Clause. :|

Most opponents will DC the minute you break Sleep Clause. :|

... rightright Sleep Clause. Forgot about that. Forcing a switch is still ridiculously useful though, like you said. And, of course, then they have a sleeping Pokémon which won't pose as much of a threat. :V

really, the only breloom I can see not running spore are choiced sets, and it's still semi-viable on scarf sets.

good point. I thought of that, but I suppose I've never had a final moveset with more than one move that does no damage.

ever heard of something called competitive battling? mostly it gets two moves that give nearly-perfect coverage, maybe an STAB, and filling utility with the rest of the slots.

I'm still new to this, so I'm still a little narrow-minded about that kind of thing.

you know, you'd think that if you acknowledge you're new, you'd realize that other people know more than you.

Wow. First, I'm extremely sorry if I come off rude. (god just typing that makes me think I'm sounding even more of a shitface D:) But, I am a fierce person who fights for my opinions. I was mostly putting in my opinions, and then unconsciously choosing that my thoughts were the best. (I think about this kind of thing a lot, the way I'm acting bit, I mean) The Heat Wave thing was mostly a forethought to double battles, because that move hits both opponent pokemon (I suppose I could have stated that) Yes, I would like help, and should probably just sit back and shut the f*** up and accept the advice that's coming my way from the generous people that post at this forum (that was not meant to be suck-upish) because I literally have no idea what I'm doing with this whole competitive battling thing, and don't know what I'm talking about. Again, sorry if this is coming off as more arrogance, but its a lot easierto convey this kind of thing in person than it is in typing. I'll shut up now and listen to what everyone has to say. (Ah! it continues to sound rude and disrespectful to me!!)

The Heat Wave thing was mostly a forethought to double battles, because that move hits both opponent pokemon (I suppose I could have stated that)

Out of curiosity, are you planning to participate in a lot of double battles?

(And your post wasn't rude, btw.)

oh, that's a huge relief. I wasn't exactly planning on it, but I thought it might be helpful for the occasional one you might get dragged into. (if that doesn't happen, well, I wouldn't know,now would I?)

If you're not planning on doing a lot of double battles, then don't worry specifically about moves for double battles. Worry about single battles first, since that's what the majority of other battlers will be doing anyway.

Wow. First, I'm extremely sorry if I come off rude. (god just typing that makes me think I'm sounding even more of a shitface D:)

just think over what you think.

But, I am a fierce person who fights for my opinions. I was mostly putting in my opinions, and then unconsciously choosing that my thoughts were the best.

whether, say, aqua tail or waterfall is better is an opinion. aqua tail has marginally better ABP at 81 to 80, at the cost of slight reliability.

when you're already using somewhat unreliable moves, the extra 5% doesn't matter because you already need to plan for the miss. the choice between heat wave and fire blast is much less of an opinion. fire blast has ABP 102 to heat wave's 90, a 13% increase, and since heat wave already has a miss chance, you already have to plan for it. an extra 5% miss chance is negligible when you're already dealing with 10%. in heat wave against flamethrower, flamethrower wins ABP 95 to ABP 90. on top of that, heat wave has that 10% unreliability which you shouldn't need to plan for with flamethrower.

unless you have a specific target that you can beat 90% or less of the time with flamethrower compared to with heat wave, flamethrower is the guaranteed to be superior.

(I think about this kind of thing a lot, the way I'm acting bit, I mean) The Heat Wave thing was mostly a forethought to double battles, because that move hits both opponent pokemon (I suppose I could have stated that)

THAT is a valid reason to use heat wave over flamethrower or fire blast. you're also using earthquake with two ground-weak teammates. double battle teams also typically invoke much more synergy between active members. in short, doubles and singles metagames are completely different. using one's strategy in another will fail horribly.

Yes, I would like help, and should probably just sit back and shut the f*** up and accept the advice that's coming my way from the generous people that post at this forum (that was not meant to be suck-upish) because I literally have no idea what I'm doing with this whole competitive battling thing, and don't know what I'm talking about. Again, sorry if this is coming off as more arrogance, but its a lot easierto convey this kind of thing in person than it is in typing. I'll shut up now and listen to what everyone has to say. (Ah! it continues to sound rude and disrespectful to me!!)

fair enough.

you can begin by telling us exactly the purpose of this team, its goals, and how it's supposed to work. also explain its basis, and the reason for you pokémon choices. aside from dragonite, all of these are well with UU, which won't fly in simulators or tournaments, and is somewhat suboptimal in wi-fi play.

EDIT: :/ epic ninja'd!

Back
Top Bottom