• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

NaNoWriMo 2012

Quick synopsis:

"DIGIMON
SO MUCH DIGIMON"

Less quick synopsis:
without going to copy-paste my "official" summary:
basically my story attempts to emulate, in text format, a full season of Digimon, right down to the relative child-friendliness (do any of you have any idea how hard it is to stay G-rated, I mean seriously) and general format/mood/etc. while still being not piss-boring.
Big evil A God Am I villain came in a while ago, screws up/takes over the digital world, the kids get summoned to go kick his ass as a last ditch effort to keep him from boning up everything, it eventually turns out that the kids (the supposed heroes) have the least idea out of anyone as to what's actually going on and may just be pawns in a game of speed-chess between the Sovereigns and the villain, and then a bunch of bad things happen. Whoop-whoop.

This is the fic I'm going from.

I'm sort of doing the same thing Butterfree is, except I'm not so sure I'll finish it.

Especially since I didn't write anything new today...

Summary: (most recent) Alduin the World Eater has returned to finish what began centuries ago. Only now there are no Dragonborn to stand in his way. Except one, the one they made a god; Talos himself. The god of men has returned to Skyrim to reclaim his glory, and stop Alduin. Update: The group is together, for now. The Dragonborn reveals the details of his quest, and meets an old friend along the way.

I don't really know how to synopsis mine, but basically it's the fictionalised version of events that took place between me, my friend, and a few other people, between November 2011 and now, and written in first person through the eyes of my friend. It's hesitantly titled "The Fall" and it sort of details his fall from somebody who could be something to somebody who has nothing. A bit grim, but I appear to be enjoying writing it - I'm on 6,762 words at the moment.

Excellent progress for today! I've written ~2700 words today, which is the same as I managed on the first so that's pretty good. I'm almost at par for tomorrow, which is fantastic. The world and story has taken on some new aspects and dimensions since the writing started and that's fantastic.

pretty good day today!

Consistently staying ahead of schedule, but barely. At 5560 through three days.

Synopsis:

Taking place in our time, the story revolves around two main protagonists, both of whom have close relations with real life superheroes. Mike Antonsen, a fifteen year-old high school student in Seattle, son of "The Wind", Terry Anotonsen, and Will Quaress, a constable in the San Diego Police Department, boyfriend of "The Jay", Alicia Understone.

However, the heroes of the modern age are not accepted into society, captured by an obscure, international association at an early age. Terry and Alicia are the first to have escaped in the history of the program, and as they themselves are hunted down, Will and Mike are also targeted for their relationship with the two heroes.

I don't much like how it sounds, but it's coming along fine through three days. Hopefully I can keep it up.

Whew. :/ Almost didn't make my wordcount today because I was busy with stuff and my wrists are bothering me (a fine time to finally start suffering with the carpal tunnel I probably should have had ages ago, isn't it), so it took a bit of effort during this last hour or so I've been able to dedicate to it, but I'm at ~5100 and it's still before midnight so it's all good. (Though does daylight savings take effect tonight or tomorrow night? derp am stupid and forget)

Synopsis and any other discussion points later; should probably stop typing for a bit now. Owwwww. :(

EDIT: Fun fact: I skimmed past Cirrus's post and at first when I read parts of the synopsis I thought e was Tailsy oops XD

Last edited:
My story's a sort of a dystopian sci-fi-ish AU. It's about a world where human society was previously driven by something called the Great Game, a series of challenges that ultimately led, if a player was able to take it all the way to the top, to immense power and immortality. Unfortunately, most people don't handle going immortal all that well, and over time the people who had reached the highest tier in the game began to go insane (or so it's thought).

One way or another, the immortals, although are rarely lucid and even more rarely agree on anything, found themselves at least able to come to one consensus: there would be no more of their kind. They divided the world between themselves, each given free reign to govern their little parcel in whatever way they see fit, provided that they all work towards the common goal of eliminating any person who advances far enough in the game to have a serious shot at joining their ranks.

However, while all overt playing of the game has been outlawed, the Great Game lies at the heart of all human civilization in this world; it is not possible to live and not to play it, in one form or another. Therefore, the sole goal for many people living in this world is not to progress, never realize their full potential, and live lives as stunted as possible, so that they do not attract the attention of the immortals or their government, whose primary method of keeping the peace is to expunge the "ambitious."

There are, of course, various exceptions to that rule--for example, the immortals require groups of high-level players to enforce their whims, and a variety of resistance groups. The largest of these, the Seekers, is attempting to produce a new champion or champions who will be able to obtain immortality and so, hopefully, overthrow the current rulers.

The main character is a person who has to work harder than most to escape notice. Her mandatory aptitude tests indicate that she would be a particularly skilled player of the Great Game, if she were to take part in earnest, not that she wants to. Not only does this earn her unwanted attention from the government, but it attracts various rebels, who hope to recruit her to their cause, at the same time. Mostly, she really just wants everyone to leave her alone. But they don't, and hence the story.

EDIT: Fun fact: I skimmed past Cirrus's post and at first when I read parts of the synopsis I thought e was Tailsy oops XD

Pfff there are other Scottish people in the world you know >:(!

oh dear I can see this year becoming the last two nanos: write hardly anything for the whole month, catch up on 35k of writing in the last like three days

\o/...

I am continuing to surprise myself by not being a lazy arse and having written above my quota for all three days running now, and being on track to continue that trend today. I do love it when a plan comes together.

I just hope that school doesn't throw a spanner into the works...

I am somehow on track, but gotta write 3000 words today to make up for yesterday's birthday party. Nnngh.

Write or Die Kamikaze Mode is a godsend.
Cranked out 1800 words in the space of 45 minutes-- despite NaNoWriMo "logic" it brought up my total several hundred more when I went back and edited (and added a lot to help smooth a scene transition).
Will do another session of it later tonight/today to catch up to quota.

So basically, if you're under quota for the day, set Write or Die to kamikaze mode. Lights a fire under your ass.

I realized that I get to set a bunch of crap on fire in chapter 33, so I'm doubly motivated to finish chapter 32 today-- gotta the honor "set shit on fire in your novel for Bonfire Night" tradition.

Last edited:
Pfff there are other Scottish people in the world you know >:(!

Got hit with inspiration last night, and I'm now participating in NaNo! :D

... okay my inspiration was pretty much MAGICAL GIRL LESBIANS YAAAAY
but
that's not the point.

isn't your default setting "MAGICAL GIRL LESBIANS YAAAAY"?

But how many Scottish people writing about magical girls being queer and fantastic on TCoD for NaNo? Huh? Huh?

you're secretly Tailsy aren't you admit it

also haha cirrus gets the one-up on the inclusion front and probably the actually getting anywhere with the idea front too

i'm. doing. fanfic again

i need to write like 8000 words to catch up or s/t aaaargh

I just always assume Tailsy is surskitty and surskitty is Tailsy. Saves me headaches.

On the side of NaNo... I wrote three sentences. Yay. :/

Guess who just woke up at 8 despite not being a morning person and is going to write a lot of stuff before school starts (at 12:30 today)???
(spoiler: it's me!)

Gotta take my friend by surprise and write ALL the words when she's not expecting, hahaha yeahhh

I know. :P

I do know who is who. But it's more fun pretending I don't. Do you really want to spoil my fun?

We are but one entity now. It doesn't matter which one is posting, it may as well be the other... ... ... ...

Back
Top Bottom