• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Recent Actions Involving the Spriting Board(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I HAD A FREAKING LONG POST BUT THEN THE BOARD ATE IT. rrrrrr also there is a difference between a failure to capitalize + punctuate sentences and a noticeable failure to spell or type coherently. One's lazy; one's lazy and illegible. BY THE WAY if my tendency for the former is ever actually incomprehensible rather than merely annoying I AM NOT GOING TO YELL AT YOU you know that right? I get the impression that part of the problem is that people think that if they say an opinion different from the loudest members, they'll be snarked at and possibly hounded. This is tends to depend on the subject matter, but does not seem to be anywhere near as common as believed. (but then I am Captain Oblivious) It typically has a great deal more to do with presentation or if you've happened to already make some type of negative impression and not mildly, at that.

Yes, people have a tendency to be dicks to newbies, but it usually has a great deal more to do with how someone acts rather than whether they've been here for very long.

@RUBY: doesn't minimodding count as spam already?

@ CAPITAIN JAY: many opinions are insisted upon because they make sense. Some are just people being asses, sure, and they're not exactly making their case in a reasonable way (so they're still being asses), but they aren't necessarily wrong.

also I mainly agree with Eevee

I don't really think some of you people will ever change. Because whenever someone brings up something like this, you'll all HAHAHAHAHA, lulz these forums are stupid everyone is stupid blah blah there is no hope we will always be dramalamas

No.

Do you really think you're going to change anything like that? With that attitude? I don't. But you'll all always be like this, if this has happened many times in the past.

No, I don't think you guys are evil and I don't hate you. But you sure as hell do make me mad when you'll all mean like that. Patience. Most of you seem to have a short fuse. I understand, some people just are just /asking/ for it. Give people a chance first. Or at least try. Because really, I don't believe in snarking at anyone, no matter how stupid. Most people don't deserve to be insulted, they deserve to be guided. If someone is being stupid, guide them in the right direction. If they won't listen, then let them be. There is no need to /snark/ off at them, seeing as how you're only giving them extra attention, and thus perpetuating their stupidity in the first place. Plus you're just wasting your time, because as I've said before, insulting someone is no way to get them to listen to you. And it's still unhelpful, I think. It doesn't help anyone at all and creates a very oppressive environment. Don't you understand? It's like being in a minefield. We're all treading very carefully, so as to avoid stepping on any mines.

But that's okay, like I've said, that's absolutely fine. Continue to act in this manner, if you'd like. If you don't want to change, I can't force you. I know that I won't be listened to, I have no impact, no coolness, I am nobody to you. Who the hell am I anyway, just some random forum member who decided to pop up? Just somebody who doesn't matter. You're not going to change and I know it. But I'm not going to let you ruin my experience here. Because you know something? I really like this place, for some insane reason. I have a lot of fun and there are a lot of nice people here, nice people I've met who I am grateful to have gotten the chance to speak to. And I'm not leaving just because some cool people are lurking, waiting hungrily to jump and tear apart the next uninsured (if I may borrow your term, MD) insignificant wrong person who makes a mistake or doesn't agree with them. Because I could be missing out on the chance to meet even more lovely people.

I'm tired of keeping quiet, I'm tired of letting people step all over me. I needed to say this too.

And you know what?

It felt good.

Arylett, your accusations are perfectly valid; however, you really do need to look at it from the other side's point of view as well. I only say this because scanning through your posts (which all feel like regurgitation of Negrek's, honestly) it feels as though you haven't even looked at it from the other side of the spectrum. Defending yourself is all well and good, but sometimes it is a balance that is ideal. I believe this is a situation where that applies.

Regurgitation of Negrek's. Huh.

I /know/ they get angry and I /know/ people can be stupid. And they have a right to get annoyed. They can do that, sometimes it's hard to keep your patience. I know I had some trouble with my patience in that post. I had just about had it. Still I believe that I am right. My point still stands, if someone is being stupid and won't listen, just let them be. You can't always do this, but you can try.

Honestly, I know I'm not going to be listened to. I wasn't really arguing, I was just saying my honest opinion. I felt like saying it. And now I did. And I feel that it was pointless, but I still feel better after letting it be known.

Have you read through Eevee's post? He addresses this quite clearly.
Eevee said:
Above all, though, there is zero social reason to try to help new members because the population as a whole does not think new members need helping. The owner isn't around so much any more, either, to give any sort of cultural guidance. There are more clueless pre-teens than not and they all encourage each other in some terrible prepubescent circlejerk. They don't want to make quality threads; they just want to be entertained and don't understand why old memes are a bad thing. They don't want to learn to use real tools; they want to pat each other on the back for their mediocre cookie-cutter results and don't understand why they should strive to do far better. They don't want a deep and interesting debate; they want any answer for the unexplained, just to soothe the mental itch, and don't understand why that shouldn't be good enough. Hell, a lot of the forums themselves don't lend themselves to many threads besides surveys.
Not saying I agree with him completely, as I am still quite undecided. However, it does provide some insight.

I am not going to read this thread.

Spriting should always take the backseat to real art.

It's only pixel art if the pixels belong to you.

edit: oh god furret told me there was serious conversation going on

still don't really care

Have you read through Eevee's post? He addresses this quite clearly.

Not saying I agree with him completely, as I am still quite undecided. However, it does provide some insight.
Did you think I didn't read it? It still fails to convince me. Really, I see it as a "survival of the fittest" sort of thing. Weed out the unworthy. They're not worthy to be taught, so just insult them. The reason they do these things is because they don't know any better. Shouldn't we be the ones to teach them? If they don't understand, explain to them. And if they don't /want/ to understand, ignore them. There is no need to snark. And really, all these are are Pokémon forums. How can we expect people to be like that? The way he describes, it makes it sound like he expects all the people on these forums make Long Essay Posts and be the most Intelligent Debators. What standards. For a forum, in which entertainment is to be had.

Unless there's something I failed to understand. In which case you might need to point it out very clearly, because I sometimes lack the swiftness of mentality.

People are listening to you, Arylett. Some people aren't agreeing, but they're listening.

I don't really understand where the whole "good god this place is full of dumbfucks" position is coming from. There are a few rather dim members, true, but is this place really that bad compared to other forums with the same focus, or the rest of the internet in general, even? If you could show me an example of a forum populated entirely by mature individuals who are there for deep, intelligent discussion, I'd like to see it. I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything; I'd just like to see an example of what you would consider a 'good forum community'. Although if you show me one I bet it's not going to be a Pokemon forum.

I understand that it's good to exchange ideas and have some serious discussions, and I realize that with a lot of people that's just not possible. When no one wants to actually discuss anything and threads end up being nothing but "What's your favorite drink?" "I like pepsi! ^____^" "Pepsi's cool!" "No, mountain dew!" then that is pretty annoying; I agree. It's annoying when people just won't see the other side of the argument; It's annoying when people won't listen to your criticism on their artwork and realize that you're trying to help them; it's annoying when people won't take your advice. But, is there really any way to fix this? Not really. And, so, we're at the point where people just give up and start being dicks. Hey, if numerous attempts at calmly explaining your side of the argument just aren't working and it's clear that this person is just not listening, if they seem to just be asking for it, then I don't really mind if it takes a blunt slap-in-the-face post to wake them up.

However, that's not really what bothers me the most. The thing that bothers me is when people start bitching about how useless forums like Forum Games are and how most of the members are stupid and how if someone makes a thread that you don't think is funny then it's perfectly okay to give them hell.

Rule 14, basically. And there's really not much more I can say. I'm probably already just echoing people. :\

Last edited:
Just gonna pop in and say: If people are acting stupid, give them a break and try to give advice in a neutral way, for lack of a better word. I wouldn't say be all lovey dovey and motherly, but don't be snarky, either. Just be honest, don't insult, but don't look for compliments to hurl at random, either.

Also: DON'T INSULT PEOPLE IN THE CC THREADS. People have problems too, and unless they're being total dicks to you, there's no way to insult them just because they pissed you off elsewhere. Gawd, I hate that so much. Not really sure how relevent this is, but hey, it's out now.

Did you think I didn't read it? It still fails to convince me. Really, I see it as a "survival of the fittest" sort of thing. Weed out the unworthy. They're not worthy to be taught, so just insult them. The reason they do these things is because they don't know any better. Shouldn't we be the ones to teach them? If they don't understand, explain to them. And if they don't /want/ to understand, ignore them. There is no need to snark. And really, all these are are Pokémon forums. How can we expect people to be like that? The way he describes, it makes it sound like he expects all the people on these forums make Long Essay Posts and be the most Intelligent Debators. What standards. For a forum, in which entertainment is to be had.

No, I expect people to post quality posts. Problem is people don't care about quality, as they (quote from Vee) "engage in their terrible prepubescent circle jerks." People don't care about learning. If someone was trying to be a good poster, I'd help them, but most people just don't get it and never will and for the sake of quality control they should get the fuck out. Internet memes belong on 4chan and not on this forum period. I am bored to fucking tears with people throwing good advice away. I cannot be fucking arsed to put on a smiley face towards every noob that comes in, I'm fucking sorry. If you post retarded shit, I will call you out. Wherever you post.Z

That includes the fucking CC because also in that forum if you post like a retard it's still not allowed. I don't care if it fucken hurts your feelings then. People have got to learn the lesson: POSTING QUALITY HAS TO BE RAISED. I cannot be fucking arsed with people whining their asses off about how they have no fucking life and no gf at fucking THIRTEEN YEARS OLD. Seriously, what the fuck happened to people? When I was thirteen it wasn't even an issue. Get some sense of fucken reality, people. It doesn't work like that. People don't fucken respond to nice guy attitudes. It just doesn't work. I'm fucking sick of having to take every retarded poster who can't string a sentence worth a damn together seriously and I'm not gonna. If you wanna be a good poster, prove that you fucking want to learn to be one.

Shouting about people being dicks in CC threads doesn't work. I try, lol.

i yell at people in the cc because THEY ARE FULL OF FUCKING SHIT

duh

a whine forum isn't an excuse to be your retarded self

No, I expect people to post quality posts. Problem is people don't care about quality, as they (quote from Vee) "engage in their terrible prepubescent circle jerks." People don't care about learning. If someone was trying to be a good poster, I'd help them, but most people just don't get it and never will and for the sake of quality control they should get the fuck out. Internet memes belong on 4chan and not on this forum period. I am bored to fucking tears with people throwing good advice away. I cannot be fucking arsed to put on a smiley face towards every noob that comes in, I'm fucking sorry. If you post retarded shit, I will call you out. Wherever you post.Z

That includes the fucking CC because also in that forum if you post like a retard it's still not allowed. I don't care if it fucken hurts your feelings then. People have got to learn the lesson: POSTING QUALITY HAS TO BE RAISED. I cannot be fucking arsed with people whining their asses off about how they have no fucking life and no gf at fucking THIRTEEN YEARS OLD. Seriously, what the fuck happened to people? When I was thirteen it wasn't even an issue. Get some sense of fucken reality, people. It doesn't work like that. People don't fucken respond to nice guy attitudes. It just doesn't work. I'm fucking sick of having to take every retarded poster who can't string a sentence worth a damn together seriously and I'm not gonna. If you wanna be a good poster, prove that you fucking want to learn to be one.
Spaekle's post said a lot of what I wanted to say, and much more coherantly. It addresses these things probably better than I could, but I'll still try anyway.

Is bitching at them is /really/ going to make things better? I cannot say this enough, when people get bitched at, most of the time, they don't /listen/. But if you want to chase people away (weed out the weak) instead of actually teaching them something, go right ahead.

I'm going to repeat myself. This is a forum. In which entertainment is to be had. There is never any excuse to be rude to anyone. And I don't care if they need a "grip" on reality or if they're "fucking retarded". I understand the desire for Quality Posts, but I think this is no way to get it. I agree with what Alexi said. Be neutral. If they don't respond countless times, then ignore them. And if they won't leave you alone, only then do I believe that you should give them a talking to, get mad. But there will always be people like this. Always. And I don't think there will ever be a way to get rid of the Uneducated. People like this have existed ever since societies sprang up. Some people don't want to hear it, some people don't want to learn. Scorning them causes them to flock together, flock together in little groups and discuss how /stupid/ and /mean/ we are. And it'll cause them to keep acting the way they do. I think it might even encourage them, because they don't want to be like the mean evil people who insulted them.

And the Coughing Cupboard is supposed a place where people can /express/ their feelings without fear of being mocked. Or so they think. When people post there, they may be angry, they may be upset, they may not be thinking clearly. Like I've said, I think you guys really lack patience.

But really, that isn't the point. I understand if you snark at someone who won't listen to you countless times. The point is that you guys go off within /seconds/ of spotting someone making a mistake. You don't really give people a chance. You'll just assume they'll always be stupid newbies and attack them. All you do is write people off. And really, you go and you snark regardless of whether it's a newbie. It could be anyone (anyone not important or cool, regardless of whether they're a newbie), if they disagree with you, you'll gang up on them like a pack of wolves. If they so much as make /one/ mistake, you're there, kicking dirt in their eyes. You encourage this behavior, the behavior of laughing at somebody's expense. And many appear appear to share my feelings on this subject, many people feel the same. They feel their enjoyment being infringed upon, because nobody wants to be insulted. And nobody wants to be bitched at. People are afraid of you. They feel as if they cannot say /anything/ without fear of the Big Bad Cool People coming in and snarkety snarking. And not everyone has the guts to stand up and say something.

g8tr, you are a terrible bore nowadays.

Last edited:
i yell at people in the cc because THEY ARE FULL OF FUCKING SHIT

duh

a whine forum isn't an excuse to be your retarded self

I'M SORRY, BUT YOU WANTING TO BE A DICK TO PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY DON'T SHARE YOUR OPINION IS STUPID AND I WILL CALL YOU OUT ON BEING A DICK

I HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT

A WHINE FORUM
IS FOR WHINING

YOU ARE PERFECTLY ALLOWED TO WHINE ABOUT WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WANT

shut up altmer

i happen to disagree. you can whine and not be a retarded dumbfuck about it.

BUT YOU WANTING TO BE A DICK TO PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY DON'T SHARE YOUR OPINION IS STUPID

i dont care if they dont share my opinion their opinions are just shit. you can have any opinion as long as you can back it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom