• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Removing Clutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: On Stupid Threads in Forum Games

That thread just broke the forum.

It was my fault.

Don't be silly, it wasn't your fault.

No, it was definitely her fault.

Yeah, she kinda moved the thread.

Of course, as for the people who POSTED in it... >>

Don't be silly, it wasn't your fault.
If it's not my fault, it's Arylett's fault for 3.7k posts. So I'm assuming it's my fault because I broke it.

I deleted US vs World, and then I tried to undelete it (because I deleted it to see what happened to stats)! But I put it in the moderation queue by accident. So I tried to move it back out...
and then the server died because the query was huuuuuuge.

The entire "People post things in Forum Games that would be spam in any other forum, so it must make spam SPREAD TO THE OTHER FORUMS" line of reasoning is ridiculous. There is no reason to think that the existence of Forum Games can 'pollute' the rest of the forum.
It legitimizes posting nonsense. It's not going to literally overflow and spew forth over everywhere else, but if users are outright encouraged to post garbage in a specific forum, I find it hard to believe that they won't be more inclined (or less opposed) to do so elsewhere.

So why isn't there a Spam forum where people can spam without the slightest semblance of coherence? I'm sure there are users who would enjoy that. It would be random lol XD

Oh, so I guess it was kind of your fault. :x

It legitimizes posting nonsense. It's not going to literally overflow and spew forth over everywhere else, but if users are outright encouraged to post garbage in a specific forum, I find it hard to believe that they won't be more inclined (or less opposed) to do so elsewhere.
I see absolutely no reason to think they would be. They're games. People know that they behave differently while playing a game than when participating in discussion.

So why isn't there a Spam forum where people can spam without the slightest semblance of coherence? I'm sure there are users who would enjoy that. It would be random lol XD
Because spam is not a communicative activity. You can't play forum games without other players.

How is counting and spewing nonsense about totally unrelated things a game? o-o

Some of the forum games I honestly don't understand why people even bother. The ones where you just count, for example. How does anyone derive any entertainment from that? On the other hand, some of them can provide a minor dose of amusement, such as Corrupt a Wish, Rate the Sig/Avatar/Usertitle Above You, etc. Regardless, I'm in favor of deleting the board. :|

I also think the Clubs forum should go.

It actually took me a couple of tries to get this thread to load. :|

So, uh, I guess if the counting and "post something obvious" games really are slowing down the forums, there is a legitimate reason to make a rule against them. I guess I can understand the competition in "US vs. The World", although that 'competition' consisting entirely of one side posting the most numbers is a bit silly, and I really don't see how things like "Pokemon ABCs" can be done for entertainment value. People do find forum games fun and I don't see why it needs to be removed altogether, but I can see that some of these threads are obviously just for postcount++, and if that's not a big deal, then the fact that they've gotten so big that they're dragging the rest of the forum down is.

If you really wanted to and somebody could be arsed to maintain this, you could make it so that new threads in Forum Games require moderator approval. I don't know whether that or simply locking offensive threads after they're made would be more practical, but it's just a suggestion. :V

Edit: postninjas! One could argue that the Clubs forum has been made obsolete by the Social Groups feature. I personally prefer the Clubs forum (something about the Social Groups interface just bothers me D:), but I'm just sayin'.

The short answer: because I really, really don't see the point of having a club for fans of Super Mario Bros, when one could just make a thread in the Entertainment forum.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't want a high postcount? I look at my postcount and I cringe when I see how large that number is. I'm not quite sure why.

EDIT: the LGBT club is valid, but that's about it

social groups should replace clubs.

you can still hold discussion in social groups.

plus you can actually track membership

I don't understand this "social groups" of which you speak.

The LGBT club could just as easily be moved to Misc. Discussion and still be valid, as could a few other clubs.

I mean, I post there occasionally because that's where the discussion is already happening, but there isn't really a reason for a separate forum for threads like that (especially when threads that basically amount to crossposting crop up, like whatever apparently went on with the spriting club).

Also, I haven't bothered looking at it recently, but on the old forums didn't the Now Playing/what are you listening to thread get as huge as whatever that huge thread in Games was (I have it turned off, I don't know anything about what goes on there anymore)? I don't know that the majority of the threads here get enough posts to justify a "1000 posts and then it gets locked, repost a new thread" rule like Eevee mentioned, but perhaps that should be done every once in a while whenever super-popular threads like that do pop up.

(actually I'm not really sure I see the point of Now Playing either but whatever)

Zeta: Social groups are another one of those new community features that got added to vB along with profile messages and crap like that. I don't use them and so don't know exactly how they work, but presumably they're like mini-Facebooks or mini-forums or something.

It actually took me a couple of tries to get this thread to load. :|
If you were trying between an hour and a half ago to an hour ago, that'd be because I broke TCOD.
So, uh, I guess if the counting and "post something obvious" games really are slowing down the forums, there is a legitimate reason to make a rule against them. I guess I can understand the competition in "US vs. The World", although that 'competition' consisting entirely of one side posting the most numbers is a bit silly, and I really don't see how things like "Pokemon ABCs" can be done for entertainment value.
US vs World broke the forum for half an hour. I'd say that's related to slowing down the forum!
People do find forum games fun and I don't see why it needs to be removed altogether,
Never meant that they should be. Just remove the ones with no brain required~
but I can see that some of these threads are obviously just for postcount++, and if that's not a big deal, then the fact that they've gotten so big that they're dragging the rest of the forum down is.

If you really wanted to and somebody could be arsed to maintain this, you could make it so that new threads in Forum Games require moderator approval. I don't know whether that or simply locking offensive threads after they're made would be more practical, but it's just a suggestion. :V
I probably wouldn't really mind, but it's easier to just kill the really stupid threads on sight.
Edit: postninjas! One could argue that the Clubs forum has been made obsolete by the Social Groups feature. I personally prefer the Clubs forum (something about the Social Groups interface just bothers me D:), but I'm just sayin'.
Both bother me. :(

I don't think clubs should go - you can't really put Obsessive Scribblers in Misc Discussion, after all. :/ I can understand getting rid of all the little ones that were started but were then never posted in, though.

edit: aren't there heaps of dead roleplaying threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom