• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

On Removing Clutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still, perhaps that would be better accomplished by one thread in General Discussion where you could post every time you updated your avatar, signature, or usertitle, and people would tell you what they thought?

I guess all less pointless games (not that there really are any that I can think of) could always just go into General Discussion.

Still, perhaps that would be better accomplished by one thread in General Discussion where you could post every time you updated your avatar, signature, or usertitle, and people would tell you what they thought?

I guess all less pointless games (not that there really are any that I can think of) could always just go into General Discussion.

But the point is in the rating threads to get your avatar/sig/whatever rated you need to rate someone elses. If you use that thread then people could choose not to rate yours.

And I hardly post just numbers. In fact the regular US vs World player do post something that isn't numbers.

Boys vs Girls has a much worse problem of this. I tried to get people to talk because numbers is just boring(as stated) but I can't be there all day telling people to talk so I quit the thread.

I wouldn't post in US vs World if it was ONLY numbers.

THE GAME is numbers. If you want to talk about something, well, that's what forums are for! If you just want idle chatter, use IRC or IM! A boring game thread used to disguise idle chattering is even worse.

But the point is in the rating threads to get your avatar/sig/whatever rated you need to rate someone elses. If you use that thread then people could choose not to rate yours.
Why use a thread at all? Why can't you just PM/profile message your buddies? @_@ Having a thread is pointless. Having it as a /game/ is just stupid.

And I hardly post just numbers. In fact the regular US vs World player do post something that isn't numbers.
Except the game was supposed to be just numbers (dumb as that is). People just turned it into a chatbox, which was off-topic and quite possibly spam.

Boys vs Girls has a much worse problem of this. I tried to get people to talk because numbers is just boring(as stated) but I can't be there all day telling people to talk so I quit the thread.
Boys vs Girls didn't have seventeen THOUSAND fucking replies.

I wouldn't post in US vs World if it was ONLY numbers.
irrelevant

Has anyone noticed some people's post counts have been reset to 0.

So far I know of Spoon, Lucas and Murkrow.

They got the annoying, post an Introduction header XD

And Lucas at 0 posts is still a Butterfree XD

I know Arylett lost like 7.4k posts... I attribute it to vB trying to delete US vs the World twice~ thus removing 7.4k posts instead of 3.7k

Um...Anyone ever hear of fun, seriously? That's what games are for. They may seem stupid to you; don't pay attention. Really. If US Vs. The World was making the forums lag, then lock it and create a new thread. Having a bunch of small threads is less of a mess for the database than one massive one, yes.

Some people actually do this called talk in the forum games. They'd have conversations and socialize. It's a place where a group of people can go, chill, play a game and have fun without big ol' debates and topics to restrict them.

Not really spam. I mean, there are topics in there, they just aren't posted in the title. It's not like everyone's running in there, posting a number, writing something stupid in allcaps and leaving.

You know why people would get whiny? Because they like the forum games. Is that such a wrong thing?

no, but if there is no real value to the thread it is spam.

we went over this before, just because you like it doesn't mean it's not against the rules or wasting space. 17.7k posts of COUNTING.

... do you comprehend that?

You know why people would get whiny? Because they like the forum games. Is that such a wrong thing?
If people liked posting "monkey" over and over in a thread tens of thousands of times, would you ardently defend that on the basis that people should be allowed and even encouraged to do things just because they like them?

See my grand post on the previous page.

Um...Anyone ever hear of fun, seriously? That's what games are for. They may seem stupid to you; don't pay attention. Really. If US Vs. The World was making the forums lag, then lock it and create a new thread. Having a bunch of small threads is less of a mess for the database than one massive one, yes.

What

No it isn't. All it does is clutter the forum archives with many locked topics, making it difficult to navigate ancient topics for something that is actually worthwhile. Unless this were Forum Games.

Locking doesn't do a damn thing. The space was already wasted. Soft deleting, as far as I know, doesn't help.

And in case you didn't notice, the US vs the World topic reached over 800 pages. PSST. THAT'S A BIG NUMBER FOR A TOPIC.

Some people actually do this called talk in the forum games. They'd have conversations and socialize. It's a place where a group of people can go, chill, play a game and have fun without big ol' debates and topics to restrict them.

Unless you have the stones to stay in the topic, you shouldn't be talking down to the big boys and girls. Stated many times before me, there's a fine line between spam and good old fashioned fun. There are already enough topics in the Misc. Forum for many forms of discussion. And from what I've seen in the Forum Games, I don't really see conversation going. Just short posts consisting of a few words. The Rate The Avatar topic is pretty awful, seeing that people post multiple times with the same avatar simply because the people there are too kind. It's not constructive in the least. I tried constructive advice once in there and was pretty much ignored.

If your idea of relaxing is always being on TCoD, there's probably some other problem here.

The $1,000,000-question:

Can we please improve forum content so that this forum isn't filled with a load of horseshit?

I always said we need to raise post quality; the stats just have seemed to back me up. Can people please read what Eevee says here and take some note 'cause you know, he's right.

Locking doesn't do a damn thing. The space was already wasted. Soft deleting, as far as I know, doesn't help.
Forum died from massive queries, not huge numbers of posts.

If it's soft-deleted, no one's going to try to look at it.
And in case you didn't notice, the US vs the World topic reached over 800 pages. PSST. THAT'S A BIG NUMBER FOR A TOPIC.
Particularly for a counting thread.

And from what I've seen in the Forum Games, I don't really see conversation going. Just short posts consisting of a few words.

You should look harder. I see plenty of conversation there.

It has an abysmal signal:noise ratio, though.

There's conversation, but you might as well say that there's conversation in Post Your Adoptables.

It's the sort of idle, diluted conversation that should be taken to some sort of IM protocol.

It's the sort of idle, diluted conversation that doesn't belong on the goddamn forums.

It's the kind of idle, diluted conversation that you can ignore if you want.
Besides, I've still been getting screwups when trying to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom