• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Perfect

Now that you put it that way, it sounds like what I meant. Or maybe you said it better. Mary-Sues may be exciting, but not nearly as exciting as someone who makes mistakes. After all, isn't it more exciting if something goes wrong and surprises you than having everything perfectly correct?

What I'm saying is, our world isn't perfect either, and that's what makes perfect worlds unbelievable.

EDIT: ... Just read the above posts. Fix:

Your story can be good with perfect characters, but it's even better with imperfect characters.

Plus, perfect characters are all the same. And what's the use of writing stories if they always turn out the same way?

Last edited:
I believe that you should want to "perfect" your character in a certain way. I "perfect" their flaws so people can understand them, or their appearance until people can picture them in their heads. To me, "perfect" characters give the author a sense of satisfaction in the details, even when it comes to flaws. If the character is perfect, then what's the point of a story? Romance stories would basically have it obvious the hero gets the girl or vice versa. Action stories would have no point if you know the hero will win. Mysteries wouldn't have an answer if the criminal's "perfect". The character's the heart of a story, and if you can see the heart, you know how it ends.

To put it simply, it's impossible to make a "perfect" character, because that itself is a flaw.

EDIT: Just a quote I came up with: "All good characters are "perfect" to someone, but not all "perfect" characters are good." (Based on the quote "All Catholics are Christian, but not all Christians are Catholic.")

Last edited:
... Is EVERYTHING you post spam? Anyway, I hate it when people write like that- Chosen by the world... saves the world inevitably, no exceptions. If you're writing tends to go towards Mary- Sues, then write parodies of them. I don't care how many you read, they never get old.

Back
Top Bottom