• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokebattle

Light

Night Zero
So this is a Pokemon battle game I made a while back. There's also an even older simpler Pokemon battle game I made which I did not obsess over every detail about, and a one level mario game which is mostly a music project. I cheated, I used their drag and drop the algorithmic blocks program to make it.

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/T-C-T/1442052

Not bad! Hypno is kind of ridiculously overpowered, though; Hypnosis -> Dream Eater -> Dream Eater -> Trick Room -> Psychic destroyed everything. Also, the cats seemed to have some glitches in their attacks; Suicune's mirror coat didn't work, and when Entei woke up it had to recharge for some reason. The animations were kind of slow and lengthy, but the one for dream eater was pretty cool.

I've never actually played a Scratch game before. How long did it take you to make this one?

Not bad! Hypno is kind of ridiculously overpowered, though; Hypnosis -> Dream Eater -> Dream Eater -> Trick Room -> Psychic destroyed everything. Also, the cats seemed to have some glitches in their attacks; Suicune's mirror coat didn't work, and when Entei woke up it had to recharge for some reason. The animations were kind of slow and lengthy, but the one for dream eater was pretty cool.

Hm, mirror coat didn't work? It always does for me. Maybe your attack missed? And yeah, I think I might have seen that Entei recharge glitch before and thought I fixed it. I think what's happening is Entei is using Giga Impact the move before it wakes up, so it recharges the next turn. I would have fixed this stuff before when I first put this up but I don't think I'll bother now.

I've never actually played a Scratch game before. How long did it take you to make this one?

Ridiculously long. I used the actual damage formula, made different animations for misses and critical hits, created different sprites for different moves and situations like being asleep, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if I spent 20 hours or more of my life on this, but a lot of it was figuring out how to get things to work.

Last edited:
Hm, mirror coat didn't work? It always does for me. Maybe your attack missed?
Nah, it hit. Also, mirror coat was acting like it had +priority, so the animation would go off before I attacked, even though I was faster with trick room. It should be -priority.

I wasn't aware that attacks could miss. :P All my hypnoses hit.

I wouldn't be surprised if I spent 20 hours or more of my life on this, but a lot of it was figuring out how to get things to work.
Okay, so not very long at all. :P Cool!

Nah, it hit. Also, mirror coat was acting like it had +priority, so the animation would go off before I attacked, even though I was faster with trick room. It should be -priority.

Out of curiosity, do you remember which move you used when it didn't work?(edit: wait nevermind you said trick room so it must have been psychic. still strange.) And yeah, I changed the priority on mirror coat because I thought it wouldn't really make sense for a move to be reflected back after it has already passed. If you use thunder when Suicune uses mirror coat it actually shows a second thunder reflecting back at the same time. Makes Suicune more powerful anyway.

I wasn't aware that attacks could miss. :P All my hypnoseses hit.

Lucky! All the moves are set to their actual accuracy (including thunder in a rainstorm).

Last edited:
I was trying to switch out Hypno versus Suicune, then realized Charizard wouldn't do much better. When I went to "Back" it recalled Hypno, then sent it back out XD

I like it though

Too loud? Sorry. (There is a button on your computer for these situations however :P)

Yeah it was one of those moments when you click on a link, aren't quite expecting music, then LOUDNESS and you try to turn it down but for some reason your computer isn't responding, so LOUDNESS continues.

It got better.

Yeah, I thought of doing a new one that's a double battle with Hoenn legendaries or something. And I am due for another game project :P But I'm kind of past the scratch thing now that I'm fluent in Java. I could make another Pokemon project, but this kind of power makes me want to make my own original game :P

EDIT and Luxicario, if you have either flash or java installed you don't need to download it unless you want to look at the code, and to do that you need to install Scratch... If flash isn't working click the button on the right that says "Click here to switch back to the Java player".

EDIT2 I totally just bumped my own thread. Didn't notice the two new replies were over a month ago :P whoops

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom