• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

PokéIncest?

Sapphiron

used Bat Credit Card!
PokéIncest?

Sounds strange as hell, but from what I know, it can actually happen.

I could've sworn that when I was breeding Hippopotas, I had a son mate with its mother. Also, there's a more sure case where I bred a female Absol with its father back in Generation III.

So, have you ever had a father breed with his daughter or a mother breed with her son and succeeded?

Re: PokéIncest?

Every creature needs to have sex to reproduce, the question is more if they lay eggs or not, but since they hatch from eggs you can assume they do.

My best guess would be that Pokémon aren't affected by the usual effects of inbreeding, most likely due a different built inner system then the animals we know of today.

The thing about pokemon is that, in the games, none of them are born with any genetic defects or disorders. They don't really have any DNA, they don't have chromosomes and they don't share disadvantageous genes. All they share is:

Stats (IVs)
Moves

(at least if I remember correctly from GSC, not sure about later gens)

One way that inbreeding might negatively affect a pokemon is if the mother and son (just using your example combination) both have poor IVs. If the son breeds with the mother, their offspring won't have all that great stats either because there are no new genes coming in to the family line that might improve the stats.

Just in the same way as in real life, if a mother bred with a son, the offspring would most likely be ok except some of the offspring might inherit disadvantageous recessive genes that both the son and mother carry because there aren't any new genes from outside the family that might replace or prevent the expression of these bad genes.

I think I heard some guy bred a Azumarill with its grandmother. Other than that, I haven't tried it. I always breed with Ditto anyway(that sounds wrong...)

I got my Shiny Lucario by breeding my best Lucario with his mother. And if family lines were recorded in the game, I'm sure more than half my Pokemon would be related.

I always breed Pokémon with their sisters, brothers and mothers :)

best way to pass on IVs.

I'm pretty sure that the G/S/C games had something set up to prevent this from happening; Pokémon would not breed with their own mother/father, at least. I'm guessing it had something to do with how the IVs were set up, since they worked differently back then.

Looks like yet another thing they took out in R/S/E for no good reason (and unlike day/night they forgot to go back and fix it later...)

Looks like yet another thing they took out in R/S/E for no good reason (and unlike day/night they forgot to go back and fix it later...)

...Why? It makes IV breeding easier (I am currently breeding a Horsea and her son due to both having a x/31/x/31/31/31 IV spread), and nothing stops it from happening in RL species

and nothing stops it from happening in RL species

There's nothing specifically stopping it from happening, but... most real-life species don't inbreed anyway if they can avoid it.
The only times it really happens are in extreme circumstances (like when a species is near extinction), when it's not a very close relation to begin with (like cousins, instead of something like mother/son or brother/sister), or when two members of a species don't even know they're related because they've been separated for so long.

Of course, breeding in-game is extremely simplified compared to the real thing--there's only two possibilities: "will breed eventually" and "won't breed ever." Instead of involving millions of different factors, most of which nobody really understands to begin with.

So the only way to represent species not wanting to inbreed if they can possibly avoid it (without overcomplicating the games' breeding system) is to have close relatives set to "won't breed ever."

No, they don't.
be1df05eb094665453130337e288411b.jpg

lots of creatures, then.

Last edited:

I used to breed eevees (I easily have over 10 PC boxes full of female ones), what you'd do is find the ones with better IV's than the one in the daycare, and then they become the new lucky one who gets to have.. pokemon. ,xD.

You found their IV's by: Hatch eggs > save game > force-feed rare candies until level 100 > record IV's and then reset game.

So yeah..
1. It's both disturbing and somewhat natural.
2. PokeIncestFTW. (stat-wise)
3. If you need a disfigured, (surprisingly fertile), grotesquely misproportioned eevee, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom